What's the story behind YOUR TRF handle?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fishtech. Hmmmm.
I need help making up a story of where this handle came from.
Lets hear em.
Also have went by the handle HuntDoctor in other forums over the years.

Fishtech. Hmmmm.
Lets hear em.
Ummmm, you manage a Cabela's, maybe, or a Bass Pro Shop?

Fishtech. Hmmmm.
Lets hear em.

Maybe you are Bill Dance's technical advisor, showing him how to use benches, batteries, boats, Blue Lizard, 4 wheel ATV's, motors, rods and tailgates.
[YOUTUBE]Q_BLggf-mqs[/YOUTUBE]

I draw stuff and was a cartoonist for my high school and college newspapers. The tradition continues with my monthly newsletter for my Civil Air Patrol squadron. My encampment Model Rocketry program director asked me to create a mascot to put on the course materials. Rocket T. Coyote was created in 2007. At the end of the week during graduation ceremonies, the slide show in the base hall omitted the model rocketry class. So I ramped things up by creating the furry mascot costume which appears in my YouTube videos. He represents the program and raises morale during the week on the base. You can't miss him. At the request of the program director, he also reports at daily staff meetings and presents the Gold Pranger to the student who fouled-up that day.
RTC has just completed his third encampment and has marched in several local parades, attended a county fair, and a fly-in. There are other mascots in CAP, but RTC is top dog.

RTC Bites.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe you are Bill Dance's technical advisor, showing him how to use benches, batteries, boats, Blue Lizard, 4 wheel ATV's, motors, rods and tailgates.
[YOUTUBE]Q_BLggf-mqs[/YOUTUBE]
Bill and I could almost be twins with the blooper stuff.
I live by the "if it can go wrong, it will" motto.
Or maybe "did I do that?"

Many many years ago (yes BEFORE Deep Space Nine) I was watching the discovery channel and heard the name Nerys. I liked it so much I decided to use it and have used it for everything since then including my domain name nerys.com.

You got me curious with the DS-9 reference. My with is an aspiring writer and she has a hard-backed-novel-sized book of names. It's a different spelling, but it looks like it comes from the Greek meaning "from the sea". Other forms are Nerissa, Nerita, and Nereta.

I know of TWO sources with my sketchy memory.

Its a male sir name (last name) of Egyptian decent?? (I think this is the one I heard on discovery channel) and the other if a female name of welsh decent. I don't know if it was ever actually Egyptian but it was a program on pyramids when I heard it so I assumed as much (I was young)

again memory could be sketchy but thats what I remember. I found the welsh connection years later when I did a google search on it. I was surprised to find a second reference to such an unusual word. I never could find another connection to the first reference except my memory of the discovery channel program.

Last edited:
I saw The Aviator shortly before I got the interwebs for the first time. I was a huge fan of the movie, so that's been my handle since I started using forums and such.

I know why I chose it. It sounded cool. the sources are what I did later on to figure out where that name "came from" before I selected it. IE the genealogy of the name :)

Well watched the movie Rocketeer not long ago an since any handle I every had has "Gator" in it somewhere.
(well except my youtube account getoffmylastnerve,I was irratated that day obviously)
Example: insta_gator,gridiron_gators,chris_aka_gator,etc.
Huge FL Gators fan growing up in Gainesville,FL from early 70's so all of my HPR rockets will be orange & blue!!:headbang:

It was my CB handle back in the day. I drove a red VW Rabbit that was almost as big, almost as boxy and had almost as much pickup as the little red wagons.

My initials, LW, stand for Lawrence William. I usually sign "LW Bercini" because with my large handwriting, most signature blanks are too short to fit in my entire name.

In addition, folks from my years in NC and in IL, know me as "Lawrence", but here in GA, my family calls me "William". Using only my initials allows me to cover all groups equally.

Last edited:
Simple really my first name is Phil and I live in Alaska been using the nick for years.

Full name is Stephen Eric Foster. Named for my distant relative Stephen Foster.
Growing up heard a lot of jokes about it so I started using my middle name first.
Eric-1

Just Spoonerized my name....for some reason hardly anyone ever figures it out, which is hysterical. Been using it since the days of dialup Doom.

Whether it will become a force for good or ill depends on man, and only if the United States occupies a position of pre-eminence can we help decide whether this new ocean will be a sea of peace or a new terrifying theater of war.

So far, it has been a sea of peace, but also a sea of disappointment during my lifetime. At least for manned exploration.

My original avatar showed a soldier launching a Congreve rocket by lighting a fuse (obviously hadn't reviewed his Model Rocket Safety Code recently). "Eh" is the stereotypical English Canadian passive/assertive question tag, as in "CTI rules, eh!" And of course "Fusée" is the French Canadian term for rocket. Hence "Fuse Eh!"

The first forum I was ever a part of was Papermodelers, every one on there used some sort of handle so I needed to come up with something, I don't remember exactly where I heard it, or read it, I think it was an interview with some one, any way this person said.."Ive always been a closet astronaut" and new that described me perfectly. From the age of four all I ever wanted to be was a test pilot for fighter planes and have been a fighter pilot, astronaut wanna-be. As I grew up and began to realize these weren't in the cards I gravitated to top feul drag racing which led to alot of illegal street drag racing. The avatar is a paper model I built a couple of years ago.

Closet Astronaut:

I always wondered if it had anything to do with this:
Have_Space_suit.jpg

Attachments

• 51mZHlQsb2L._SL75_.jpg
    51mZHlQsb2L._SL75_.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 171
It was very hard to come up with mine.

I stuck a dot between my first and last name. I could have used a - or a _ or a $ or a ^ or even a *

But in the end.....I opted for a .

Back