What do you use for painting your larger projects?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a Wagner paint sprayer a few months ago and used it to paint some cabinets I built. It worked pretty well, so I think I'll try to use it on my next large rocket build. I'm no expert, but it seems to be similar to a spray gun and a compressor--but it's all in one convenient unit.

View attachment 532561
I look forward to hearing about how it works out. I've always been curious

I bought a Wagner paint sprayer a few months ago and used it to paint some cabinets I built. It worked pretty well, so I think I'll try to use it on my next large rocket build. I'm no expert, but it seems to be similar to a spray gun and a compressor--but it's all in one convenient unit.

View attachment 532561
I'm definitely interested to see how this goes.

Thinner or reducer, basic idea the same, make paint thin enough to spray.
Createx's reducers do have other chemical properties. Read their TDS's on what they do and exactly how to use them. The TDS's are on the web page of the link I posted.

I used to have issues with rattle cans spitting/clogging, but saw a post here on TRF about a shaker that you could put into your drill and really give the cans a good mix (it was even endorsed by Adam Savage - Mythbuster), but it did have its drawbacks…mainly the connection between the shaft and the base of the cylinder, but then someone else posted a hack to make your own from a piece of pvc pipe a plumbers plug…it works great, but I would recommend replacing the bolt that comes with the plumbers plug with a grade 8 bolt…the grade 5 or less that comes with the plug will bend and throw the whole thing out of balance horribly…

Attachments

• F865C8A1-BB67-4B0C-8E5D-D7BC66FF367D.jpeg
    F865C8A1-BB67-4B0C-8E5D-D7BC66FF367D.jpeg
    1,022.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 2B68132A-F5AE-4D07-BAF9-A741CA225B99.jpeg
    2B68132A-F5AE-4D07-BAF9-A741CA225B99.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Slightly off-topic, but since the thread seems to be veering in that direction...
I think a lot of the problems people have with rattle cans are user based, mostly from not following the directions on the can. (For some reason, a lot of people have a stubborn need to ignore them, but I digress....)

1. ACTUALLY shake the can vigorously for at least the 1 minute the instructions usually recommend, and keep shaking between coats.
2. ACTUALLY wait the recommended recoat and dry times.
3. ACTUALLY paint in the recommended temp and humidity ranges.
4. Clean the nozzle when you're finished.
5. If you want a bit of insurance, leave the can in sunlight or warm water for a few minutes before use.

I think a lot of spray paint problems would be avoided by using the manufacturers recommended usage steps. It's why they're there, after all. 🤷‍♂️

Slightly off-topic, but since the thread seems to be veering in that direction...
I think a lot of the problems people have with rattle cans are user based, mostly from not following the directions on the can. (For some reason, a lot of people have a stubborn need to ignore them, but I digress....)

1. ACTUALLY shake the can vigorously for at least the 1 minute the instructions usually recommend, and keep shaking between coats.
2. ACTUALLY wait the recommended recoat and dry times.
3. ACTUALLY paint in the recommended temp and humidity ranges.
4. Clean the nozzle when you're finished.
5. If you want a bit of insurance, leave the can in sunlight or warm water for a few minutes before use.

I think a lot of spray paint problems would be avoided by using the manufacturers recommended usage steps. It's why they're there, after all. 🤷‍♂️
And don't paint outside on a windy day!!

Please share your experience whenever you happen to try it: it looks quite interesting...

I always use spray cans, whatever the paint type is, the focus being on the color match: acrylic, water base, etc.

But somehow, I often have mitigated results with enamel (Testor, Dupli-Color). I again scrapped a paint job using white enamel. Very unforgiving.

sooo, I was about to ask what people do in order to achieve good results with enamel, but your post is a good reminder to read the instructions: there's obviously something I'm doing wrong with enamel. That being said, if anyone as enamel-specifi tips (primer type, non obvious preparation, etc) please let me know.

Oh, and tip #5 is one I like and do every time: I move my spray cans from basement to the outside under the sun well before starting to paint.

I use paint. Comes in cans. You have to shake it until you arm falls off. Then try can get an even coat in the wind. And then... nvm. :)

OTOH my biggest rockets came from an amazing place called Rocketry Warehouse. No longer around I guess. No paint was needed. ;)

I use paint. Comes in cans. You have to shake it until you arm falls off. Then try can get an even coat in the wind. And then... nvm. :)

OTOH my biggest rockets came from an amazing place called Rocketry Warehouse. No longer around I guess. No paint was needed. ;)
Rocketry Warehouse is now Composite Warehouse. Same owner; Curtis.
Many colors of fiberglass to choose from;
CW fiberglass.jpg

Again, I'd recommend Createx paints. You can find their videos on YouTube for tips on mixing and spraying. For about $20-30, you can get all your basics and then add whatever color on top of that for $5-6 for a 2oz bottle. You can usually find everything you need at Hobby Lobby. But if you are looking for larger bottles or a different color, I'd recommend spraygunner.com

Also recommend Createx paints.

I'm going to chime in, as well, for Createx.

Had someone tell me one time that Createx, because it's water-based, wasn't any good for use in the humid Georgia climate. So, the other day, I talked to my sister, who used to work for GM as an Industrial Engineer in their paint department, as well as working for Sikkens, a Dutch paint company owned by Akzo-Nobel. She said that water-based paints are thermo-setting, so they do just fine in humid weather. Just don't paint in the rain and you're okay. :angiefavorite:
Add me to the list of folks that recommends Createx.

I use rattle cans for everything. Looks good on the pad is good enough.
Probably used close to 12 cans for this 5 primer, 2 white, 2 blue, 3 yellow.
Yes, a Deuce first flown in 2013.
Deuce98 pad 1.JPG

Duplicolor paint by the quart applied with a Paasche touch up HVLP spray gun.

https://www.paascheairbrush.com/HG-08

Its a lacquer based paint so no orange peel or wrinkles and recoat times are not a problem. Recoat anytime.
+1 and can be found at Autozone and Advance auto parts stores. I just got the same gun. It's about 1/2 the size of a regular spray gun.

Rattle cans spit too, if you don't use them up in one use ?...uuugh...hate that !!

Oh I see.
Well as per my experience, I goi with airless spray gun or sometime used Wagner HVLP great for large projects

Back