Finding the Right Tamiya Blue Paint

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mh9162013

Reaction score
I'm going to trying airbrushing my rockets, as I already have a lot of Tamiya acrylics. However, one color I'm missing is a good blue color. I'm looking for a blue like you'd use for the post-1993 Estes Yankee. I've been using Rustoluem 2X Gloss Deep Blue and I really like the shade, so something similar would be nice. The problem is, I can't find a similar shade in the Tamiya acrylic line of paints.

Tamiya X-4 looks like it'll work, but from pictures I've seen online, it looks like it's more of a darker bluish gray color. But then there are other pictures where it looks like it's a near-perfect match. It's almost as if there are two shades of this blue paint being sold.

Anyways, if anyone can confirm if X-4 is similar to Rustoleum 2X Gloss Deep Blue or the blue you see in the modern Estes Yankee, I'd appreciate it. If it's not a match, do you know of a different Tamiya acrylic blue that'll work? Gloss is prefered, but if the right shade is only available flat/matte, that's ok. Thanks!

Post-1993 Yankee (for reference):

1682601862839.png

X-4 is about as close as you are going to get. I have a couple of rockets that I painted Deep Blue back when I still used Rustoleum products. Unfortunately X-4 is about two shades too light and needs a little black or purple mixed in to make it a bit closer.

The advantage of using jar paints and an air brush is the ability to mix to obtain the color you want.

I do this on almost all my rockets using Createx acrylics.

Back