What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All most forgot. Today's Final clue on Jeopardy was interesting. Not actually today's we are a little behind. Some of you will get it instantly. Almost twice the size of Texas but with the population of Lubbock, this part of Australia rejected statehood in a 1998 referendum. 30 seconds contestants.

All most forgot. Today's Final clue on Jeopardy was interesting. Not actually today's we are a little behind. Some of you will get it instantly. Almost twice the size of Texas but with the population of Lubbock, this part of Australia rejected statehood in a 1998 referendum. 30 seconds contestants.

Northern Territory.

The other territory nobody cares about.

Very true. The Australian Capital Territory is basically Parliament, sycophants acting as public servants and architecture Soviet Russia would have considered austere.

Outside Canberra, our Capital city much to the consternation of people living in Sydney, consists of sheep, dead cars and three farmers who married very close relatives.

Not my favourite place, Bruce.

The Northern Territory is freakin’ huge, beautiful and has the best sky watching in the world.

Not that I’m biased or anything. 🤠

Spent a lot of time yesterday sitting in the closet in the entry. Two thunderstorm warnings and two tornado warnings before noon. The bad part was the evening. Eddyville and Dawson Springs were hit, they're just an hour north. Sikeston MO was also hit, about two hours west. Debris cloud near Eddyville went to nearly 40,000 feet. Luckily, we didn't even lose power except for a few flickers. We did lose a large tree branch but there's lotsa others. :)

"Ryan Hall, Y'all" on YouTube is a wonderful weather resource. He was on our TV, live, from 6pm until whenever Geniece went to bed.

He reported that there were a bunch of people at a gas station near Dawson Springs. Taking video, of course. (At a GAS STATION during a tornado!?!?!) He actually called them 'selfish' on the air. With the heavy rain there was no way they'd actually see the tornado before it hit them, and a bunch of first-responders would be put in danger, trying to find/free people buried in rubble. "Idiocracy" is reality...

To get in on the weather reports, I’m currently on the NC VA border and had flash floods in the area (we are fine, my great great grandfather new where to build a farm house!)

He reported that there were a bunch of people at a gas station near Dawson Springs. Taking video, of course. (At a GAS STATION during a tornado!?!?!)
Our monthly large club launch was Saturday, I woke up Sunday morning to see reports of tornados north of here and a big one passed 5 miles south of our launch field. That is after it demolished a large gas station on the internet. A lot of people had stopped at the gas station seeking shelter, and one of the people had the sense to get everybody into the restrooms just before the tornado hit so there were no injuries. Elsewhere along the path 7 people were killed. I was thinking that a gas station is a bad choice for tornado protection, I'm sure there are lots of them that barely hold themselves together, but it worked for around 50 people. Somebody inside the gas station was taking cellphone video- it doesn't show much, just some wind blowing debris inside right before the lights go out and you hear a lot of people screaming in the background. The tornado also passed around 1/4 mile away from a high school I designed, no word of any damage yet.
Tonight we had a storm come over our house including hail up to about 1.5" size. I watched closely to see if larger hail appeared since both of my cars are parked outside.

Think of it as a huge jet engine that produces electricity
It's a peaker unit.. it sets on standby until the grid needs the extra power then it pumps electricity into the power grid.. but to answer you, it's on a turbine deck in a generating station in Missouri
Ok I know what a turbine is, the background of the original pic looked like a ship to me! And as far is I know ships don’t have turbines so that’s why I asked.

They use diesel engines.
Diesel cycle engines are more common than turbines, sure, but there are plenty of ships that use turbines as well. Usually burning diesel fuel, but that's another story. They make a lot of sense anywhere you need high power, low weight, and relatively small engines, and those concerns trump fuel consumption. Medium size fast combatants, fast ferries, and (slightly weirdly) icebreakers are all great applications for turbines.

Diesel cycle engines are more common than turbines, sure, but there are plenty of ships that use turbines as well. Usually burning diesel fuel, but that's another story. They make a lot of sense anywhere you need high power, low weight, and relatively small engines, and those concerns trump fuel consumption. Medium size fast combatants, fast ferries, and (slightly weirdly) icebreakers are all great applications for turbines.
Also Abrams tanks, for example.

Latest posts

Back