Show me your multi-tools!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my first (original model) Leatherman in '94 or '95, worked with a concert light & sound group while in college and everyone had one and used them constantly, along with the constant debates whether Gerber or Leatherman was better. Was part of my bat-utility-belt consisting of the Leatherman, a 2xAA Maglite, and a 1" crescent wrench on a chain with whatever laminate pass(es) I needed for the event I was working (the crench was handy to leave at a fixed size for the lighting fixture nuts, and handy on the chain for working on ladders/trusses). I still have that Leatherman, managed to break the tip off the blade at one point prying something open, and using the wire cutters to cut a pretty hard metal rod buggered it a bit (that part wasn't replaceable on the original model), makes the jaw a bit resistive to open (handle wants to bend closed before the jaw opens so the pliers don't work as a single-handed tool anymore). But it lives in a kitchen drawer and still gets regular use to open packages, etc. I had purchased a Leatherman Pulse (OOP) to replace it on my belt, had that for probably 10 or so years before it got stolen in a home break-in (I was on a short air trip at the time, no checked baggage so it wasn't with me). That one's pouch had broke at one point, Leatherman replaced it without charge. With the insurance money I replaced the OOP Pulse with a Supertool 300, which I still wear daily and use often. It is quite a bit bulkier than the original tool, but it's held up to years of use and abuse without needing any service. I also keep a 3rd Leatherman (I forget just which model it is) at my parents house (they're in PA, I'm in CA) so that I don't have to think about bringing mine when I'm visiting them, where I'm often doing random household tasks that could use one.

Trick is remembering to take it off before I head to the airport, as after over 30 years it's instinctive to put it on every morning (I'm more likely to forget my phone or watch at home than my Leatherman). They had intentionally designed some of the earlier tools to be flight-legal (no serrated blades or blades over a certain length) before things clamped-down after 9/11, so I used to even fly with it on me before then. But one time post-9/11 I only realized I had it on when I arrived at security having already checked my baggage, wound up finding a FedEx kiosk to mail it home, I was going to Dallas for 3 days, it went from San Jose to Oakland to Memphis, then back to Oakland and finally San Jose, it took longer to get home and went farther east than I did. That was about a month before the break-in where it got stolen. =P A few other times I realized while driving up (before I started taking Lyft) so I could just leave it in the car, or a few times I realized before checking baggage, so it went into the checked luggage (or I wound up checking my suitcase even though I had planned to carry it on). Past few years I've done much better at remembering not to wear it the day I travel.

Back