What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I viewed and took some quick photos of the eclipse. Where I live the maximum was 80% of the sun being obscured.

I didn't plan ahead and didn't have the proper filter or glasses for viewing the sun. In 2017 I experimented with polarizer filters and found that I could stack 2 of them then rotate them so they excluded most of the light and that would work well enough for photography. I could look through them brieflly but there is some question whether filters that aren't made for sun viewing block out enough of the invisible wavelengths to be completely safe. In earlier experiments I found that stacked polarizers and achieve about 16stops of ND filter. I used a 100-400 lens on my Nikon D3300, it being a crop sensor camera that gives me 600mm equivalent. I had also made a pinhole box with about 24" focal length for quick viewing.

View attachment 609602
I'll get mine next April. The path of totality will be less than an hour and a half drive from my house. I plan to make a pinhole viewer.
1697376146517.png

What has ten actors, four writers, and one story?
The Hallmark Chanel.

Yup. And the next show on will have the same actors that play a loving couple playing sister and brother.
British TV is like that, though they have ~30 actors. It's kind of fun to see actors from one show recycled into a completely different character in another show. And incidentally shows their range of acting ability.

I'll get mine next April. The path of totality will be less than an hour and a half drive from my house. I plan to make a pinhole viewer.
Pinhole viewers are easy to make and work reasonably well. Mine was made from an Apogee box about 24" long. I put a piece of aluminum foil on the end and punched a small hole in it using a pushpin. My neighbor punched a hole in a piece of cardboard and just held it up and projected an image on the ground. His bigger hole worked well enough if he held the cardboard 5' above the ground. Of course you can build the viewer today and see how it works for the full sun. I recommend collecting boxes of the same size, maybe Amazon boxes, so they can be linked end to end to get at least 5' overall length. That way you will get a larger image and you can hold the box up and get your eyes closer to the projected image.
Since that eclipse is 6 months away I recommend buying the proper viewing glasses and/or filter material. The last 2 eclipses I've seen I did without proper preparation. I have time to get the right stuff for the next one.

(Yesterday) Missed my second eclipse. Completely overcast here for several hours. I was in Carbondale IL for the last one; cloud cover literally ninety seconds before totality. Hoping to see the one next year.

Pinhole viewers are easy to make and work reasonably well. Mine was made from an Apogee box about 24" long. I put a piece of aluminum foil on the end and punched a small hole in it using a pushpin. My neighbor punched a hole in a piece of cardboard and just held it up and projected an image on the ground. His bigger hole worked well enough if he held the cardboard 5' above the ground. Of course you can build the viewer today and see how it works for the full sun. I recommend collecting boxes of the same size, maybe Amazon boxes, so they can be linked end to end to get at least 5' overall length. That way you will get a larger image and you can hold the box up and get your eyes closer to the projected image.
Since that eclipse is 6 months away I recommend buying the proper viewing glasses and/or filter material. The last 2 eclipses I've seen I did without proper preparation. I have time to get the right stuff for the next one.
Yes, the plan for my projector is a piece of aluminum foil at end and a piece of baking parchment at the other. And yours sounds like a good choice of box; I'll have to order something from Apogee. 😁

Yes, the plan for my projector is a piece of aluminum foil at end and a piece of baking parchment at the other. And yours sounds like a good choice of box; I'll have to order something from Apogee. 😁
Not to help you along but I think 2 of those boxes end to end would be about right.

Set up ISS Vanguard and watched a few tutorial videos. Hopefully will start actually playing tomorrow.

This is another RPG-in-a-box campaign game where we play as the science, engineering, recon, and security section leaders aboard the ISS Vanguard, humanity's first interstellar spaceship.

I was thinking about starting a thread talking about our playthrough of the campaign, as it seems like the kind of story that would interest fellow rocket people. Go ahead and reply to this post if you would be interested in reading such a thread.

View attachment 609534
Our first mission had the ship almost running into a massive black sphere, 200 AU's in diameter. Our landing crew managed to reach the sphere before the vanguard and tunnel into the sphere, finding it was made of carbon filaments. Whether the radar-absorbing capabilities of the sphere that caused us to miss it until we were so close were intentional or just a by-product of the carbon fiber construction is unknown.

Upon reaching the inside surface of the sphere, we found a system of broken planets orbiting a red giant star, and the sphere's inside surface was coated with solar panels - a dyson sphere.

We heard a signal being broadcast from the star - a patchwork of human transmissions, pieced together to tell the story of a progenitor race who seeded thousands of worlds across the Milky Way, calling it a "race," and broadcasting coordinates to hundreds more worlds.

After launching a probe back to Earth with news of what we found, we're setting course to the nearest one.

Idle thought for an eclipse viewer, a couple of Loc body tubes with a suitably sized coupler ought to work. Plus you can recycle it into a rocket later on.😀

I use a monocular that fits on my iPhone. Mounted on a tripod:
2023-10-14 Eclipse setup.jpg

The backdrop can be adjusted for size, and the monocular focused for a clear image.
2023-10-14 Eclipse.jpg

We plan to visit my sister in Gun Barrel city, Texas next April. They are directly in the center of the alignment for a total eclipse. I'm hoping to find a solar filter for my Meade ETX-125 by then, and practice setting it up a couple of times....

Finished getting the fireplace insert ready for winter.
Consisted of pulling all the firebricks... scraping the creosote off the metal walls behind the bricks, vacuuming the mess... reinstalling the bricks & cleaning up afterwards.
Murphy would have enjoyed helping, but I wouldn't let her inspect the insides for soot.

1697423636620.jpeg1697423661644.jpeg

We had 500' ceilings and rain all day Saturday. We were too far North and were only expecting a small reduction in Sunlight. The path of totality in April extends to about a 15 minute drive from my house. I'm debating about taking PTO monday and tuesday so if the weather is good I can find a place for viewing. Unfortunately, clear skies in the first week of April in Indiana is not a good bet.

Okay… somehow all these painful days got blended together. It is Day 179 since April 19th 2023. The day Jeff G died. A life’s set of dreams simply deleted. No “Undo” button. Just POOF. Hello Jeff… where to? And here, 179 days later, the answer is “You tell me?”

I took care of Penny. Folded some laundry. Finished detailing a rocket. And NOTHING else. It that a day? I guess I have little else to write here. I updated the Custom Rockets Bullet thread in LPR with the final finish

I love you honey bunny. All these days gone by and I have not figured out how I am suppose to live without you?!

Hey all of the TRF supporters, public and private? Thank you

Back