What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not a refrigeration engineer, so I'm just spitballing here. Your parents' fridge probably didn't have a separate temperature control for the fridge or freezer. If you left the freezer open too long while loading it up, you might overcool the fridge and freeze the lettuce. A set of electronic controls would likely give you better temperature management in the two sections and would likely save energy. The ice maker and dispenser also has a fair amount of control built in beyond simple switches. And all of that is before you get to the (IMHO) weird world of web connectivity and the like. So I'm only a partial Luddite. :D
My parents' fridge, and I'm not sure about my own, had a little vent that let cold air from the freezer into the fridge. Of those two temperature dials, one controls the (freezer) thermostat and the other controls how far open the vent is. Now, that seems really primitive, but it's actually a reasonably good way to split the cooling available from one refrigeration cycle. True separate thermostats would be nice, and I don't know how to do that without two cycles, but I'm sure it's done with simple electromechanical controls. The ice maker, ice dispenser, and water dispenser all use simple electromechanical controls - I've fixed a couple of them. Added electronics can't replace the door switches, level sensor in the ice bucket, and solenoid valves; electronics can only be used in between those electromechanical components in order to achieve... what? That's what I'm asking; since the electromechanicals do the job just fine, why add electronics? I'm an electrical engineer, and one of the things any engineer should know is when to butt out.

But electronic controls do have advantages, in addition to what you mentioned, computerized fan controls do a better job of efficiently controlling both compartments (fridge + freezer) and take care of things like automatic defrosting.
OK, I'll buy there could be improvements in efficiency from that or some other little internal voodoo. The defrosting on my electromechanical doesn't need any improving; I never think about it, there's never frost, and that's as good a definition of perfect as there is.

Woke at 4AM, off to the hospital at 5AM for outpatient hernia fix. Seeing all those robot arms in the OR made me a bit squeamish, but a minute later they injected propofol and I, within a few seconds, did not care. About anything.:) Got home a bit after noon and took oxy. Pain is constant but manageable. Except that coughing is, in Orwellian terms, unfun.

TIL that one cup of dry beans makes way too many mung bean sprouts. Now have two 28 oz jars nearly full. And they're not done yet. Egg rolls Friday, stir-fry next week. About half the time the local grocery stores are out of them or some other Asian food. Got three pounds of beans so I'll be making my own for some time to come.

Got home a bit after noon and took oxy. Pain is constant but manageable.
Oxycodone or -morphone? For post surgical pain, I found once that where Percocet (oxycodone plus acetaminophen) would reduce the pain, and disassociate me from it, it didn't really make the pain go away. I discovered that if I took it with two ibuprofen then the pain was gone. And the neat trick was that I could take one ibuprofen every 2 to 3 hours instead of two every 4 to 6 - the same total through the day but spread out so the level in the blood never drops - then I didn't need to take the percocet any more. Let the ibuprofen wear off and I'd need another Percocet to get the pain under control, but I did manage to get by with a lot less.

Oxycodone or -morphone? For post surgical pain, I found once that where Percocet (oxycodone plus acetaminophen)
it's always interesting to hear how different drugs affect people as we are all just biological organisms, a big chemical factory. Have recently got prescribed with oxycodone and it was pretty much worthless on me as far as reducing pain.

We went to Charlotte get started with selling plasma, but it didn't turn out very good. especially for me.....as they told us it would be about two and a half hours and it ended up being five hours. Halfway through they motion me over only to tell me that they will not be able to use me because i use an insulin pen for the type 2 diabetes and even if I stop using it, I have to wait an additional 4 months before I could start the program. Talk about making a fellow mad enough to want to smack his grandma right in the mouth :mad: just when I think there is something positive that's going to help, the world just stacks right up and says oh no you don't, we're going to see if we can make you as miserable as possible.

Last edited:
Day 182.
Nothing really big. I THINK the mechanics MAY have figured out what is wrong with the car. The rear SAM module. MAY. If wrong, well it’s 13 years old. Not like I can invoke a lemon law. I worked. Found a problem. Told them how to fix it. Then on came a headache. I don’t get many, but holy cow, when I do! They can be hard on me. About 3pm PDT.

I get a few messages from wonderful people. Thank you! I can not figure out yet what I am. Or where to go. But so many of you know that. Your messages help.

Worked AGAIN on a few rockets after laying down and taking something for the headache. Tomorrow with be the 19th. Another ‘anniversary’. Another SICK SICK terrible anniversary. SIX MONTHS!!! How? Why? Why am I here and you are not Kim? 27 years… I’ll simply repeat, there is never ever ever a day where I

A) don’t want to wake up - not yet
B) don’t want to live without her
C) don’t want to talk to her
D) don’t ask why?

Every comment and message from all of you is wonderful! I am sorry my posts are often these 'downers'. Honestly I can not imagine anyone who lost their wife ‘moving on’ in 6 months… Or “whatever time period”. 

But again, I love that many of you bother to write. Moving forward… me and her… not moving on. Forward. Day 182… for pity sake my love… where are you?

We went to Charlotte get started with selling plasma, but it didn't turn out very good. especially for me.....as they told us it would be about two and a half hours and it ended up being five hours. Halfway through they motion me over only to tell me that they will not be able to use me because i use an insulin pen for the type 2 diabetes and even if I stop using it, I have to wait an additional 4 months before I could start the program. Talk about making a fellow mad enough to want to smack his grandma right in the mouth :mad: just when I think there is something positive that's going to help, the world just stacks right up and says oh no you don't, we're going to see if we can make you as miserable as possible.
At the very least they could have looked over your screening questions and told you "no" right away, not five hours later.

I can not figure out yet what I am.
I don't know how well this applies for you. There is some advice I give for people saying that they don't know who or what they are, or are trying to "find themselves", or things like that. Your situation is different, obviously, yet maybe it applies a little.

I tell them "Look in the mirror; there you are." You do know who/what you are, you're just making things complicated by looking for something else. What you are is a man whose wife died six months ago and is having a lot of trouble dealing with that loss. And someone who is slowly but surely making progress. What you are is someone who lacks a plan or purpose for the future; that part needs to change, and you are also someone who has the power to change it (with help if you need it). You have troubles enough without adding unnecessary "what am I?" questions to the list.

After the "Look in the mirror" part, of course, the rest varies. Usually it's things like "You're an adolescent trying to discover and decide how to live as an adult", or "You're a person who was adopted as a baby and raised by caring, loving, good parents but who lacks some important 'family' medical history", or stuff like that. "That's who you are, and how you will act on it is the important question." How much this works for you is an interesting question.

Yesterday, Sharon and I went to the local grocery store and got our Maderna Covid/flu and Tetanus shots. Their pharmacy has all that stuff and more, and is very convenient.
Today, I'm a bit sore in the Covid/Flu shoulder, not so much on the Tetanus/diphtheria/Whooping cough side. Why would they put those three together? Not even sure what diphtheria is.... When was the last time we had a Whooping cough outbreak?

Curious old fart wants to know.

When was the last time we had a Whooping cough outbreak?

Curious old fart wants to know.
Whooping cough (aka pertussis) outbreaks come up every so often, usually in the tail end of winter. I don't think they're usually bad except for the very young or very old.

[link ninja'd by @Charles_McG ]

Interesting. To be clear, "Exactly" above was meant to say that the small number of cases is exactly why - and also because - we use that vaccine. What's interesting is how the number of cases rose along with the rise of anti-vaxers starting in the '80s, then dropped off to virtually nothing with COVID measures in place. I wonder what it will do in the next five years.

My brother (fully vaccinated as a child, as we all were) had it when he was 20ish. It was no real threat, but pretty miserable (mostly for him but also for me, trying to sleep in the bedroom next door).

Woke at 3AM, took pain meds for BAD chest pain; had I not been told that there would be gas in other locations after the surgery, making me miserable, I'd have called 911 for a heart attack. It was that bad. Ejection of gas finally caused pain to subside.

Napped from 1:30-3:45, now feel more like an actual human.

Stir-fried sausage, cabbage, bean sprouts, onion, and garlic. Will head downstairs in a few minutes to assemble eggrolls. Personally I think my eggrolls are meh. Kinda flat, not tightly filled, etc. But the family gives 'em 5/5, so who am I to argue?

Went through and updated my First Aid Kit. Got the first launch of the season coming up at Tripoli Phoenix. Made sure I had plenty of duct tape which works great on getting cactus spines out. Of course it takes all your hair with it as well......

Refreshed the Hydrogen peroxide, tossed out damaged Band-Aid packages and made sure all medications were within date. Hopefully I won't have to use much of it this year. In a typical year it's mostly Band-Aids and Medipoint splinter removers. I buy those on Amazon so I can just hand out a sterile package.

https://www.amazon.com/Medipoint-Sp...1697816396&sprefix=sliver+remo,aps,157&sr=8-3
the other thing I've used most years is Wound Seal powder in single use tubes. This stuff works!

https://www.amazon.com/WoundSeal-To...qid=1697816508&sprefix=wound+s,aps,132&sr=8-2

Yesterday we got our toy hauler back from service. They replaced the bunk bed motor, fixed a leak under the bathroom sink and replaced one of the back stabilizer jacks.
We emptied EVERYTHING out of the trailer when we got back to Goodyear two weeks ago. Sharon wouldn't let me run it across the scales, but "Logan" our 2018 GMC 1 ton Duramax (500 Hp and 1000 ft. lbs. of torque) was having trouble getting up the hills. After 10 years of accumulated stuff, it was well over the 10,000 lb. GVWR Forest river gave it. Plus, we were bringing back all the motors, rocket kits and associated stuff we picked up at Airfest. :oops:
I spent most of yesterday cleaning, vacuuming and mopping the floors, cleaning the cabinets and treating the wood, washing windows and wiping down walls. I was just finishing the kitchen cabinets when Sharon showed up and started packing kitchen stuff back in. She has spent some time and money purchasing stuff to organize cabinet space, and it's looking a lot better now. She also wiped down the wardrobe cabinets in the bedroom, and the walls and shelf over the bed. I think the little first aid kit she talks about in the previous post came out of the bathroom, which is on the schedule for cleanup tomorrow.
Today, I'm organizing the tie down straps we use when we set up camp at the rocket launches. Lubricating the ratcheting straps is part of the job. Washing the "Lifetime" tables, and general cleanup of the camping gear. Everything we are putting back in will be washed and wiped down with a microfiber cloth. Hopefully, it will be a lot less stuff than we took out...

Took me two hours to drive to work. Was only supposed to take 36 minutes. As I got past the wreck on I-20 WB, my dashboard went *DING!* and told me my left rear tire was at 30 PSI. A bit later, 27 PSI. Then 24 PSI. When I pulled into the parking space, 19 PSI. After counting in a Dollar Tree for an hour or so, folks started coming to me asking if I knew my tire was flat. Fun times. NOT!

I don't know how well this applies for you. There is some advice I give for people saying that they don't know who or what they are, or are trying to "find themselves", or things like that. Your situation is different, obviously, yet maybe it applies a little.

I tell them "Look in the mirror; there you are." You do know who/what you are, you're just making things complicated by looking for something else. What you are is a man whose wife died six months ago and is having a lot of trouble dealing with that loss. And someone who is slowly but surely making progress. What you are is someone who lacks a plan or purpose for the future; that part needs to change, and you are also someone who has the power to change it (with help if you need it). You have troubles enough without adding unnecessary "what am I?" questions to the list.

After the "Look in the mirror" part, of course, the rest varies. Usually it's things like "You're an adolescent trying to discover and decide how to live as an adult", or "You're a person who was adopted as a baby and raised by caring, loving, good parents but who lacks some important 'family' medical history", or stuff like that. "That's who you are, and how you will act on it is the important question." How much this works for you is an interesting question.
All yes. All read. All well... a work in progress Joe.
It is the HARDEST thing I have EVERY tried to figure out.

folks started coming to me asking if I knew my tire was flat. Fun times. NOT!
When I do that it's because I have a pump in my hand or I've already pumped up the tire. I've done that for a few coworkers. A few years ago I went into Petsmart to get something my wife asked me to get, there was a little honda setting near the door with a flat tire. When I came out it was still there so I went to my car and got my pump. I had to tap on the window to ask the girl inside to plug it into the cigarette lighter socket and then I pumped up the tire. She had called her father and he showed up while I was pumping it up. We talked a little while and I advised that they immediately go up the road to a tire store and have it checked to see if it could be patched.

We needed to get the toilet seat off so that we can put handicap rails on it, but the one seat plastic bolt was frozen. We had to drill into the top and break it so that we could get it out. My wife will get a new pair of plastic bolts at Lowe's when she goes out tonight for our grandsons flag football game.

Back