What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enjoying what feels like the first truly pleasant day (weatherwise) of the last few months. Sunny, mild breeze, mid-70s right now. Got out early for a long run, did some yard work, now just sitting in the shade enjoying the breeze. I'm so very, very over summer, this is awesome.

Enjoying what feels like the first truly pleasant day (weatherwise) of the last few months. Sunny, mild breeze, mid-70s right now. Got out early for a long run, did some yard work, now just sitting in the shade enjoying the breeze. I'm so very, very over summer, this is awesome.
hows the recuperation from your injury coming along? Are you still going to participate in the October 15th race?

Yesterday was a bit of that for me. Sunny, a little warmer that I call perfect, but not too hot (low 80s) light breeze. I not only did the small project I mentioned above, I also did a little rocket painting, sun bleached some bedding, and enjoyed the weather.

Today it was raining in the morning, and is still overcast, but my project of the day is inside. (Plumbing. Groan.)

I'll post about the rocket stuff later in my current build thread.

hows the recuperation from your injury coming along? Are you still going to participate in the October 15th race?
Better than I had any reason to believe it would. My run this morning was 13.1 miles, and right on desired pace. Felt a little harder than before I wrecked, but only slightly, so win there. Still 2 weeks before I can take a bike into the world, but riding on the trainer has been good. Still can't swim, so that will be the determining factor for racing or not. Right now, I'm optimistic, but never can tell.

Plumbing Update
in this episode
Craps and the Crappy Plumbers Who Didn't Give Any​

As I expect most of you know, a modern bathroom faucet fixture is installed from the top of the sink, with long threaded tubes for both the water and the attachment. Then big nuts hold it down, and the water is hooked up by threaded fittings. In most current installations, as you know, the last segment before the faucet is typically an armored hose with a free spinning not for the attachment. In somewhat older installations, the piping may all be rigid, and disassembleable by taking apart some sweat joints.
16629248580617344542402046815502.jpg
But, it you'r a crappy plumber who doesn't gove a crap, you might put it together all rigid like an older sweat soldered installation but with glued PVC pipes.
16629249801533728138229523527273.jpg
Now I'm going to have to cut this apart and rebuild, which is not a project one starts on Sunday afternoon.

I need to remove one faucet in a double vanity and either fix it (unlikely) or replace it (probably) because it drips when running from somewhere underneath. I have a drop in replacement available, so this should have been an easy job. But I forgot to remember that under a sink there's no such thing. (Plumbing. Groan.)

Currently, one side's water is cut off and my wife and I sharing her side. Well, actually, my side can't be independently cut off, so I've removed its faucet handles instead. It's been that way since August 27, because on the 28th I left for a week at a customer site and we spent Labor Day weekend away on an anniversary celebration trip.

A week from today I leave again for customer and supplier site visits totaling three weeks, so on the weekend of October 8th and 9th I should be able to take care of this.

(Plumbing. Groan.)

My wife helped me measure out (6)33 ft long wires for use in ham radio antenna radials, Then she put a smile on my face It would take three Morticians to wipe off

Went to my day a week job at the range. After we closed we got out our personal stuff. The we shot for about an hour. One of our employees is leaving for West Texas. So we gave her a going away party. I brought a Mini 30 with a suppressor and sub sonic ammo. Very quiet. An AR SBR, FNX 45, a suppressed .22 pistol with subsonic ammo, just a puff and a 1911. Burned up a lot of money. It was still fun.

Wrote an email to the company that makes the 2 ft wide plastic tool box that I use for a range box as the center of it has bowed out and the tray on the inside will not say supported anymore, made by Qbrick.

Beautiful morning. Heading to Dr. Wreck around corner. Made it to Dr. unscathed. They changed dressing on foot and ordered "wound care box" - the reason for appt. Back to house, and back to bed in a minute. I hate having two eight o'clock s in one day!

I met with the respiratory rep who brought new supplies with her
My wife put the Andretti F1 picture above the doorway in my room(I've had it since 1978)

[Apologies for this being a CAD rant, but I didnt' think it belonged in the Nerd Pride thread]

Had to redraft half a day's work because the $%^&@! client gave us a drawing where a critical view was scaled by something like 1.27 in model space. If I could get a jury of engineers and drafters, I'm sure they'd acquit me on the basis of justifiable homicide. :D

and similar to Boatgeek's day:

I redid a change I had to undo about 2 weeks ago, due to the fact the change was missing eh required ECOs to move it forward. And that we are trying to be strict on the ECR / ECO change procedure..

This, despite the fact 2 weeks ago the Project leader ensure d me that the ECOs were forth-coming, and that the change was needed at that particular time to ensure it all fit. This change forced a [premature] revision of the overall sub assembly, which production wasn't ready to implement..

And, on top of that (with new Project leaders who don't quite know the system), I have an ECO to change a screw [from 1/2" to 3/8" long], another to change the hole for said screw, and yet another to change the BOM to incorporate the new screw into the assembly., Along with another change to the main part for another reason..

My overall assembly is now revised by 2 major changes, spread over 5 ECOs.. possibly 2 more as I dig thru them..

ECO: Engineering Change Order - the piece of paper that authorizes the required change
ECR: Engineering Change Request - teh piece of paper that states teh desire change, and validates if teh change is do-able / wanted / cost effective / etc...

took pictures of the 2 decorative flies my son tied while in high school-age 16 or so
YFJqcW2.jpg

WhcazFx.jpg

Speaking of CAD/ECOs etc. I had a design for a control PCA for one of our spectrometers I designed about a decade back. It had provision for an external connection to whatever accessories we might want to plug in that would be associated with the equipment. A fairly major change was being done to the PCA and the manager said "Pull the accessory port out". "Are you sure?" I asked. "Do you really want to do this?" I asked. I rechecked this several times. Eventually that function was removed. A few months ago I get told "Put the accessory port back in. We need it for a new accessory". Seriously :questions: WTF?

The real estate on the PCB where that circuitry went has now been absorbed by a USB hub and some extra ports. Not an easy job and I am a bit over it. I'm sending that one out to a contractor to add back in.

I got reading glasses and super glue at the dollar tree store, then 3/8" bolt ring terminals for ham radio counterpoise wires.

Hmmm. Reading glasses, superglue, and ring terminals. What sinister plan could he be hatching this time, with reading glasses, superglue, and ring terminals?

Hmmm. Reading glasses, superglue, and ring terminals. What sinister plan could he be hatching this time, with reading glasses, superglue, and ring terminals?

Maybe he's adding this:
ham radio counterpoise wires.

To create an authentic nerd accessory to hold his reading glasses around his neck?

and similar to Boatgeek's day:

I redid a change I had to undo about 2 weeks ago, due to the fact the change was missing eh required ECOs to move it forward. And that we are trying to be strict on the ECR / ECO change procedure..

This, despite the fact 2 weeks ago the Project leader ensure d me that the ECOs were forth-coming, and that the change was needed at that particular time to ensure it all fit. This change forced a [premature] revision of the overall sub assembly, which production wasn't ready to implement..

And, on top of that (with new Project leaders who don't quite know the system), I have an ECO to change a screw [from 1/2" to 3/8" long], another to change the hole for said screw, and yet another to change the BOM to incorporate the new screw into the assembly., Along with another change to the main part for another reason..

My overall assembly is now revised by 2 major changes, spread over 5 ECOs.. possibly 2 more as I dig thru them..

ECO: Engineering Change Order - the piece of paper that authorizes the required change
ECR: Engineering Change Request - teh piece of paper that states teh desire change, and validates if teh change is do-able / wanted / cost effective / etc...
I feel your pain. Im in avionics repair and get units to modify when COs come through to see if they are viable. 9 times out of 10 it turns into a grand cluster f%^&

My issue could have been avoided, but "management" insisted the process now be followed. they could have easily made an exception, as this task was 1/2 - 3/4 complete..

My issue could have been avoided, but "management" insisted the process now be followed. they could have easily made an exception, as this task was 1/2 - 3/4 complete..
Well...
I redid a change I had to undo about 2 weeks ago, due to the fact the change was missing eh required ECOs to move it forward. And that we are trying to be strict on the ECR / ECO change procedure.
I can appreciate that. A reasonable exception here, another exception there, and in a few months to a year you've forgotten all about your good intention to start sticking to the process. The root cause was proceeding based on "The ECO is coming any day, so just go ahead and do it now." After a few managers feel the pain of having done that, there's a chance that the process will be followed properly thereafter. It's just a shame that you had to feel their pain for them.

My overall assembly is now revised by 2 major changes, spread over 5 ECOs.. possibly 2 more as I dig thru them.
Ah, well, there's the other half of the root cause: strict adherence to the process while they don't understand it (or maybe while it's a poor process). One major change should mean one ECR/ECO pair, covering all affected items: casting, machining, assembly, BOM, wiring, software, test procedure(s), system description document(s), everything. Two simultaneous major changes means two ECR/ECO pairs, with only one revision to each item required, covering both changes at once.

• DO wait on the the ECRs/ECOs to be approved before starting the drawing/BOM/document work. If the changes are really urgent, get the ECR/ECO approved in a hurry.
  • DON'T create more ECRs, ECOs, and drawing/BOM/document revisions than necessary.
  • ANY deviation from the process should require written approval from Director level (i.e. the next step up from the manager, whatever it is called in your organization).
    • A pattern of frequent process deviations approved by directors should be looked into at the VP level.

Well...

I can appreciate that. A reasonable exception here, another exception there, and in a few months to a year you've forgotten all about your good intention to start sticking to the process. The root cause was proceeding based on "The ECO is coming any day, so just go ahead and do it now." After a few managers feel the pain of having done that, there's a chance that the process will be followed properly thereafter. It's just a shame that you had to feel their pain for them.

Ah, well, there's the other half of the root cause: strict adherence to the process while they don't understand it (or maybe while it's a poor process). One major change should mean one ECR/ECO pair, covering all affected items: casting, machining, assembly, BOM, wiring, software, test procedure(s), system description document(s), everything. Two simultaneous major changes means two ECR/ECO pairs, with only one revision to each item required, covering both changes at once.

• DO wait on the the ECRs/ECOs to be approved before starting the drawing/BOM/document work. If the changes are really urgent, get the ECR/ECO approved in a hurry.
  • DON'T create more ECRs, ECOs, and drawing/BOM/document revisions than necessary.
  • ANY deviation from the process should require written approval from Director level (i.e. the next step up from the manager, whatever it is called in your organization).
    • A pattern of frequent process deviations approved by directors should be looked into at the VP level.
you've worked in Engineering too, I see. :D ;)

remember when ISO9001/2/3 was the trend?! a lot of work, but it identified the processes, and what is missing in said processes..

Back