What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
plugged in a music keyboard I bought on Marketplace for $20 only to find out it wouldn't power up, then my wife went on the web and found out what the problem was, man she is good at so many things.:wos_love:

Last edited:
Interviewing for next year's intern. One very good candidate for the position out of the two interviews today.
While working at McDonnell Douglas, I got an involved in the interviewing process and when we would approve of a candidate, then the human resources person would look over and say, " I don't like him at all, He's out"

Fishing in Red River, NM. It's been good this week, got my 5 fish limit on Monday, several 12" fish and a couple 14" fish. Then they stocked the pond with 11" fish, and I caught about thirty of those Tuesday and put them back in. I don't keep the smaller fish, not enough meat after cleaning to make it worth my while. Problem is, they usually swallow the hook and it kills them to remove it. When this happens, I cut the leader and leave the hook in. They have a better chance of surviving, and the hook dissolves, or so I'm told.
Yesterday and today, I'm tying leaders to these tiny treble hooks:

closest.jpg

#16 eagle claw hooks that I buy at Walmart. They come in packages of 20 for about $5. You can also buy them in packages of 3 with leaders for about the same price.

I moved the power strip from the side of my desk to up on the vertical support for easier access to the switch on it, which I also flipped around. Re-routed wires and did wire management. It wiped me out for today.🤭

While working at McDonnell Douglas, I got an involved in the interviewing process and when we would approve of a candidate, then the human resources person would look over and say, " I don't like him at all, He's out"
HR here is quite good and unless there was something very wrong with employing the person they would defer to our decision.

The nice Fall weather is upon us. My son wanted to go on a bike ride when I picked him up after school. 3.5 hours later we made it home for dinner, and then he wanted to ride around the block more until the Sun went down.

I'm a little tired. Happy he wanted to ride so long tonight, but still tired.

Had to trouble shoot the bedroom stereo system to try to find out why the left channel was not working. come to find out it is inside of the Google Chromebook that has the bad connection:(

I'm in Florida and I hate Florida. My 86 year old mother is not doing well. She just got out of the hospital after a series of falls. Her potassium was dangerously low and life threatening. Thyroid med was to high. And a very bad bacterial infection. My brothers and sister want them in an assisted living facility. My parents think the are a hospice where people go to die. I tried to explain the difference and had wanted to take them to tour a couple. That went over like a lead parachute. Then I tried to get my dad to agree to see a lawyer about the difference between dying with a will, without one and a trust. He refused and told me his banker was an expert on these matters. I told him he wasn't. It devolved from there. I walked out and went back to the hotel. Now what to do for 9 more days.

I'm in Florida and I hate Florida. My 86 year old mother is not doing well. She just got out of the hospital after a series of falls. Her potassium was dangerously low and life threatening. Thyroid med was to high. And a very bad bacterial infection. My brothers and sister want them in an assisted living facility. My parents think the are a hospice where people go to die. I tried to explain the difference and had wanted to take them to tour a couple. That went over like a lead parachute. Then I tried to get my dad to agree to see a lawyer about the difference between dying with a will, without one and a trust. He refused and told me his banker was an expert on these matters. I told him he wasn't. It devolved from there. I walked out and went back to the hotel. Now what to do for 9 more days.
Sorry to hear about your situation. Bankers are usually not well educated on this.

Its a difficult time for you and your siblings, but also a difficult time for them. You probably know more details about the world today, but they know more about the world when they were younger and the loss of that is obviously hard.

I'm sorry for what you all are going through and know how much it screws you up inside. It is hard to know when to do exactly what is most correct in the current context and to know when to be compassionate to a fault and simply give in, regardless of what is more or less correct.

Regardless of what happens over the next 9 days, take an extra hour to be by yourself, either on a deck/patio or similar. Hopefully at a time when the weather is ok and with a glass of water, lemonade or iced tea in your hand. Take deep breaths, listen to everything around you that is peaceful and try to block out anything that is, with your eyes closed.

That won't solve a thing, but I hope it will at least help keep you focused on the wide expanse of what each small moment in life is and hopefully will be helpful in keeping your stress level minimized.

All my opinion only, I have zero qualifications to recommend the above, other than going through a similar experience and trying to find my way through the jungle that was put in front of me.

Sandy.

glued the shock cord mount inside the Black Brandt tonight at 3:30, now I need to make a chute for it. A 40 year old rocket is not worth trying to repaint, but hopefully I can find young kid to give it to at the next launch.

That's a terrible place to be, and I don't just mean Florida. Trying to get through to them, but not to make a fight out of it is awfully frustrating.

I do have one suggestion: talk to the banker. Odds are that s/he knows that s/he isn't as much of an expert as your dad thinks, and s/he may have a better chance of getting through on that point.

I woke up this morning still sore from going to a local pump track yesterday with a group of clients. I got the hang of it, but not before trying to go up a banked turn. Totally ate it, on a 30-year-old mountain bike no less.

(Wednesday) Visited the dentist for cleaning and to have the implant checked. Implant looks very good but: my jawbone is 66 years old; it's an upper implant rather than lower, so less bone; it's going to be a molar that has to work hard. So he had already decided to wait three months more.

He may have been my scared student 20 years ago, but today he's the pro, I'm the minor-league third baseman. If you're going to hire a professional, you take his/her advice (or maybe get a second opinion. I don't need one). So if all goes well, impressions for the crown will be on 14 December.

If you're going to hire a professional, you take his/her advice...
I once had a friend/co-worker who taught me a saying: "You don't buy a guard dog then bark yourself." He was born in Wales, moved somewhere along the line to London, then as an adult moved and became a citizen in Canada, then moved and became a citizen in the US. I don't know where he picked the saying up, but I think it was not on this continent.

reached over on the side table at 2 am and knocked over my drink.:eek: after it got cleaned up, now I'm up for the rest of the night.

Arguing with the dishwasher. I prefer all the water to remain in the dishwasher until said water is discarded via the proper channels, i.e., through existing plumbing. Dishwasher decided otherwise. Water's been mopped up, and since I can't see very well with the unit in place, the next step is to unscrew a few fasteners and roll the thing out.

And on Friday we finally got quotes for the two doors to be replaced. Front door is 36" wide and has a 12" wide, non-movable "sidelight" on each side. Price for the door is just over $700. Sidelights are (gulp) $940. EACH!!! So with installation the front door will run well over $3000. The other door is trivial by comparison, $600 door plus $300 installation.

Aaaand....next we need to take a careful look at the HVAC unit.... :rolleyes:

15 mile run this morning. Totally dorked up fuel and electrolytes, but know what changes to make. The temp surprised me (because im an idiot and didnt check the forecast), and I picked a stupid route with very little shade. Turned into willpower training as much as leg training, but that is important too. Only 1 more long run (in 2 weeks) before I start to taper for race, so I get another shot at fuel strategy then.

Also, was able to take my tribike for a short 5 mile ride yesterday. No pain, and only slight restriction in breathing when on the aerobars. Good to go there next weekend I think, which is good because that should be my last long pre-race ride.

27 days left, and I'm getting more excited than worried...more evidence that I'm an idiot.

I have a 110-in projection screen and my Panasonic projector on Facebook Marketplace. So I adjusted it today for anybody who wants to come for a demo. It is simply too big for a 13x14 bedroom.

Heading to Perth (the most remote capital city on the planet) today for a couple of days to visit a customer and the Field Service Engineers there. The customer was kind enough to purchase nearly $1million worth of spectrometers so a couple of us engineers are going over to speak with them and see how they perceive our company and products, and what we can do for improvements in future products.

So only reading about rocketry, if I'm lucky, for the next few days for me.

I finally started watching a Blu-ray disc of trumpeter Chris Botti in Boston, with a bunch of major stars. I've owned this DVD for 13 or 14 years now and finally put it in the player.

Back