What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Into the city for dinner in a popular laneway full of restaurants. Sad to see many have closed and the lane so quiet. First time back there in three years.

The AIAA is starting a Melbourne section so I will go and support that after dinner. I have been a member for about 15 years.

and can now fit the mower and electric bike in the other side of the garage.
What?! No! That space is for building rockets!

Went to the doctor, got an EKG. Off to the cardiologist in the near future.
I hovered my mouse over the "Like" button for the other reaction icons, and there isn't one for "Concerned". What's up?

So, why the miss? Don't keep us in suspenders.
From yesterday:
New Iridium plugs in the Rav4 -still misfires.

Diagnosis switches to old school - plug on coil on cylinder head (frowned upon by 'real' mechanics*). No spark on coil 1, meaty, beefy spark on the rest.

Pulls 14.4 v colts on the coil cable, so I think we have our culprit. I hope so anyway.

*Apparently a fire and high voltage shock hazard. How about clean down the head first and put your hands in your freakin' pockets? 🤔

Ah, so the same as me. Minor and nothing to worry about, but worth monitoring in case one day it worsens. If I understood what they told me, it's a predictive risk factor (i.e. not a causal risk) for eventual development of atrial fibrillation.

No idea. I'm not a cardiologist.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. A little flutter should be easy to stabilise. How are your magnesium levels? A really common cause of flutter.
Funny story, but not from today or yesterday. This goes back to about 2000 and beyond.

Back to the 1940s, my father (then a teenager) went to his doctor for twitches in single muscle fibers, i.e. not the full muscle, not a gross motor activity, but just a twitchy pulse in a very small area that's felt more than seen. The usual diagnosis for this (at least at the time) was calcium deficiency. He took a calcium supplement and the the twitches went away, but soon came back, worse than before. They progressed to painful cramps. He reasoned as follows: calcium and magnesium are adjacent alkali earths, and there many circumstances in which they chemically behave similarly. It seemed possible that one could substitute for the other in neuromuscular activity, but as excess calcium is eliminated one could lose baby magnesium with the calcium bath water, making the original problem worse. Whether his reasoning was correct or not, a magnesium supplement corrected problem, and he needed to take a milk of magnesia pill every now and then for the rest of his life. At least one of his twin sisters developed the same twitches, and responded to the same treatment.

Jump forward forty years, I'm a teenager, and I start having the same twitches, I know my father's story, I take magnesium, and all is well.

About the same time (a few years earlier actually) I started having occasional heart palpitations. (I promise, this is all connected.) These occur so rarely (about once every couple of months or so on average) that I wasn't able to observe any pattern. When I finally remembered to bring it up with my doctor, he did an EKG and deemed it normal (which I later learned could not have been true, but that's another story) and he called it supraventricular tachycardia, and told me it's nothing to worry about unless it gets worse (which it did, a lot, several years later, but that's the same other story).

Actually, the other story is tied in, so here's the short short version: I had Wolfe Parkinson White syndrome, it was corrected by cardiac catheter ablation, and was told to expect the old, rare tachycardia to continue as before.
1662727129295.png

Now we've reached 2000 or so. One evening, while driving home from my sister in law's, I began to have what felt like the same old palpitations, but every minute or less. I pulled over so my wife could take over driving, and we went to the emergency room. There I had an EKG and some blood work, and was left to rest for a couple of hours on a monitor. Finally I was told "Yup, you're having palpitations. You're not about to have a heart attack, go home."

The next morning, with the very frequent palpitations still going on, I began to have the familiar muscle fiber twitches. I took some magnesium, as usual. Within an hour, the twitches stopped, and so did the palpitations. (I told you it was connected.) Ever since then, I take the magnesium whenever the twitches start, or if I have palpitations twice within a week. No more problem.

Took my walk then changed the oil, oil filter, and air filter on the Civic.

I'll change oil in our cars as long as I can do so. Main reason: 30-40 years ago my brother was hit with a $3k bill to repair a seized engine. He'd taken his car to a quick-change place and they hadn't tightened the oil plug (or possibly the filter) properly. Oil leaked out and the inevitable happened. He couldn't show that the QC place was responsible....

Ever since then, I take the magnesium whenever the twitches start, or if I have palpitations twice within a week. No more problem.

I had a girlfriend with palpitations which frightened her a lot. Tried magnesium once a week. Never had the problem again.

Magnesium deficiency is very much under diagnosed. Until something goes wrong.

In general rich sources of magnesium are greens, nuts, seeds, dry beans, whole grains, wheat germ, wheat and oat bran. The recommended dietary allowance for magnesium for adult men is 400-420 mg per day.

We took the '69 Camaro out for a spin to warm the motor up for a motor oil / filter change. Stopped to get some gas and a woman walked by and said "There's something green running out of your car".

The leak wasn't horrible. Drove the car home, changed the oil, and pulled the radiator. Then dropped the radiator off at the local Radiator Shop.

I'm a '61 model, so I'm cutting the '69 some slack. Leaks happen as we get older.

006.JPG

Funny story, but not from today or yesterday. This goes back to about 2000 and beyond.

Back to the 1940s, my father (then a teenager) went to his doctor for twitches in single muscle fibers, i.e. not the full muscle, not a gross motor activity, but just a twitchy pulse in a very small area that's felt more than seen. The usual diagnosis for this (at least at the time) was calcium deficiency. He took a calcium supplement and the the twitches went away, but soon came back, worse than before. They progressed to painful cramps. He reasoned as follows: calcium and magnesium are adjacent alkali earths, and there many circumstances in which they chemically behave similarly. It seemed possible that one could substitute for the other in neuromuscular activity, but as excess calcium is eliminated one could lose baby magnesium with the calcium bath water, making the original problem worse. Whether his reasoning was correct or not, a magnesium supplement corrected problem, and he needed to take a milk of magnesia pill every now and then for the rest of his life. At least one of his twin sisters developed the same twitches, and responded to the same treatment.

Jump forward forty years, I'm a teenager, and I start having the same twitches, I know my father's story, I take magnesium, and all is well.

About the same time (a few years earlier actually) I started having occasional heart palpitations. (I promise, this is all connected.) These occur so rarely (about once every couple of months or so on average) that I wasn't able to observe any pattern. When I finally remembered to bring it up with my doctor, he did an EKG and deemed it normal (which I later learned could not have been true, but that's another story) and he called it supraventricular tachycardia, and told me it's nothing to worry about unless it gets worse (which it did, a lot, several years later, but that's the same other story).

Actually, the other story is tied in, so here's the short short version: I had Wolfe Parkinson White syndrome, it was corrected by cardiac catheter ablation, and was told to expect the old, rare tachycardia to continue as before.
View attachment 536842

Now we've reached 2000 or so. One evening, while driving home from my sister in law's, I began to have what felt like the same old palpitations, but every minute or less. I pulled over so my wife could take over driving, and we went to the emergency room. There I had an EKG and some blood work, and was left to rest for a couple of hours on a monitor. Finally I was told "Yup, you're having palpitations. You're not about to have a heart attack, go home."

The next morning, with the very frequent palpitations still going on, I began to have the familiar muscle fiber twitches. I took some magnesium, as usual. Within an hour, the twitches stopped, and so did the palpitations. (I told you it was connected.) Ever since then, I take the magnesium whenever the twitches start, or if I have palpitations twice within a week. No more problem.

I had a girlfriend with palpitations which frightened her a lot. Tried magnesium once a week. Never had the problem again.

Thanks for the tips on Mg. I already take that as a supplement regularly anyway.

Today I took 11 cats to the spay and neuter clinic in Vegas. Had a appointment with an orthopedic surgeon so he could look at my shoulder. Probable torn rotator cuff. Went to the compounding pharmacy to pick up meds. This time of year if they mail them to me they melt. Drove to a park and made some phone calls to make some more doctor's appointments. I think my warranty has expired. Picked the fixed cats up and drove back to Pahrump. There sure is a lot of bad drivers on the roads. I aught to know because I'm perfect. Strange thing. When I got back to the shelter/rescue the manager asked if I had a gun. Yes. Then, do you carry often. Yes all the time. Why, I asked. She told me she through a guy, an a hole out of the shelter. Wow. I thought I was in trouble. I told her about my background and to not worry about the guy. A punch to the solar plexus would drop him. I sure as hell wouldn't try to scare him with a gun. That's just plain nuts. And you get to go to jail and not pass go.

I sure as hell wouldn't try to scare him with a gun. That's just plain nuts. And you get to go to jail and not pass go.

Indeed. You know, I have no problem with guns. I have a problem with some people and guns. I don't imagine you're one of those people.

As a competition handgun shooter (and range officer) I saw no less than three people shoot themselves over ten years. Some people should not have guns. Period. *

*YMMV, as always

did my usual wake up at 4:30am BS :(
selling a Johnson Country Mile spincast fishing reel this morning that's been in the box 40+ years

grocery shopping
did the diches,
house cleaning

realizing that after 15 years in one house, we have amassed a lot of "stuff".. where to start with the paring of 'things'.. :D

Glued a thin strip to the end of cheap particle board shelf out of one of my kitchen cabinets. It's about 3/16 too short, enough to make it fall off the pin supports. Rather than throw it out and spend money on a whole new board, I just cut a strip of 3/16 basswood (you all know why I had that lying around) and glued it to one end. It's in clamps now.

Went to my oldest son's first HS swim meet. Very different atmosphere than club swimming. He had a really good time, and posted really good times. Was fun to watch him enjoy it again. He had lost his love for club swimming, but really appears to enjoy the team aspects of HS swimming.

I drilled out the holes in the rectifier bracket so that the drill point sheet metal screws will go through and be able to easily bite the under side of my big metal tanker desk, everything takes so long to do now.

Back