what do you guys do with your left over motor casings

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lt72884

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have 4 J270 and 5 H550 empty motor casings. I was wondering what you guys do with them? any way to up-cycle them for projects like airframes or something? Maybe even use them for sorbitol fuel?
Just looking for some use for them. I think they are fiberglass?

thanks

I have 4 J270 and 5 H550 empty motor casings. I was wondering what you guys do with them? any way to up-cycle them for projects like airframes or something? Maybe even use them for sorbitol fuel?
Just looking for some use for them. I think they are fiberglass?

thanks
I have recycled them with both APCP & Sugar

I have recycled them with both APCP & Sugar
what kind of prep do i need to do on them for using them for sugar or APCP?
I am a member of the research forums.
i might even use them for airframes if possible, but they are heavy.
i have been using pvc for my sugar motors, but i might switch to the black type pipe that doesnt send invisible shrapnel everywhere haha. I think they are made of ABS?

Use to hold rockets for painting. Otherwise I just dumpster them.
I can save you some long 18 and 24 mm cases (up to 12").
18mm motor 06.jpg

I have used old fiberglass motor casings them as coupler tubes. They can also be used as mandrels for wrapping your own composite motor mount tubes, or min dia airframes. You limit yourself on the length of the airframes to the length of the motor tube. I use a wrap of mylar as the release film between the casing and the composite tube.

Regards,

-Brian Barney
TRA#8896 L3

Use to hold rockets for painting. Otherwise I just dumpster them.
I can save you some long 18 and 24 mm cases (up to 12").
View attachment 578574
sorry for late reply. this thread got lost with all the others haha. I do not need any at the moment. i have about 5 or 6 already, just trying to figure out what to do with them. I might pack them with a powdered fuel i made that works really well. Or i will pack with a cooked fuel.

Back