K455 Flying Case

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UPscaler

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Since @rfjustin did his pair of flying case L1000s, I've been fantasizing about doing the same thing with the K455 Boost Sustain motor. A while back I got a set of fins from Wildman to do just that and I finally decided it's time to give it a go. With no time to spare, either! This rocket flies this weekend at Friends of Amateur rocketry.

It also serves as a continuation of my JB Weld going supersonic concept that I did with an Aerotech I500T last year (video below). So, all bonding done on this rocket is solely done with JB weld. Fillets are JB weld, too. In addition, there will be no tip-to-tip layup of fiberglass or carbon fiber.

First, I meticulously sanded the fins and motor case with 120 grit sandpaper, cleaned with alcohol, threw on a set of gloves and tacked one of the fins in place with a light dab of CA to keep the fin guides aligned.
1.jpg

After gluing the other three fins in place and allowing them to cure, I broke the fourth fin back off its small CA tack and repeated the sanding and cleaning process before bonding it to the motor case with JB weld as well.

2.jpg
After all the initial bonding was done, I moved on to fillets.
3.jpg4.jpg

They certainly aren't my best work, but after letting them tack up for about 2.5 hours, I went back in with a gloved finger and some alcohol to gently caress them into the final shape that I wanted.

While those fully cure, here's the I500 project to give you an idea of the concept. This, however, will be pushed a lot harder. RASaero sims to a hair over Mach 1.7 and north of 20,000 feet.

Last edited:
One was found, burned up in a field, the other is still MIA. I know what caused high speed impact on the one that was "recovered", and I would be grateful if the other was found in time. :)
I was the one that found it! It happened to be in the only field that wasn't 4 feet deep that year. Luckily, my K740 Big Daddy landed right by it.

Any advice on avoiding that outcome would be great! 😉

I was thinking more along the lines of preventing the hard impact
Don't use a small streamer, use a small chute. I suspect my streamer and cord was drug behind the carbon finned booster hence why it whacked instead of recovered.

What avionics are you running?

Don't use a small streamer, use a small chute. I suspect my streamer and cord was drug behind the carbon finned booster hence why it whacked instead of recovered.

What avionics are you running?
Just a single RRC2+ with my RDF onboard was the plan, like the 38mm one. I have a lot of faith in JB weld, but I'm not too convinced I have enough faith in it to put my new GPS system in it. In addition, I'm not a big fan of working with electronics bays this small, so the fewer things I've got kicking around in there, the better. Haha.

FWIW I've also got full faith in JB Weld. I and many others on the discord are switching to using fillets only without tip to tip for similar min/submin shenanigans, and JB is solid. I just ran some numbers using finsim on fins like yours, and it says they're good for ~5 degrees of AoA at max-V, which is confidence inspiring. One small potential perk of using GPS is that on two occasions, I've been able to find cratered rockets based on their last known locations from the GPS, but if it just, doesnt crater, then all good? I'm looking forward to seeing it at far, and good luck!

FWIW I've also got full faith in JB Weld. I and many others on the discord are switching to using fillets only without tip to tip for similar min/submin shenanigans, and JB is solid. I just ran some numbers using finsim on fins like yours, and it says they're good for ~5 degrees of AoA at max-V, which is confidence inspiring. One small potential perk of using GPS is that on two occasions, I've been able to find cratered rockets based on their last known locations from the GPS, but if it just, doesnt crater, then all good? I'm looking forward to seeing it at far, and good luck!
Addendum to that - the finsim I ran was on the fillet breaking from aero loads, not on flutter, that assumed a 3/8" radius and 1/8" G10 with JB as the epoxy. Finsim isn't all knowing and seeing, but it's been reasonably accurate for me

I'm a big believer in the ol "if it came in ballistic I don't really NEED to know what's out there" thought process. Adding the GPS just helps the process of finding a hole in the ground that now cost an extra $200.

Thanks for the finsim data!

If only you knew a design engineer who does 3D modeling all day everyday, is local to you, and also has an SLA printer in his basement.......🥳😂😁
Who do I need to bribe to get a couple of them tailcones for future L-1000's? :)

Looks slick!
I've been curious about resin printing, but this one is PETG.

Happy to whip a couple of if you'd like some from me, too!

May I present to you: "Severance Package"

At just under 7lbs locked and loaded, it's predicted to hit Mach 1 1.2 seconds into flight and climb its way to Mach 1.75, staying supersonic until 11,000 feet. From there, it'll keep coasting to 21,000, according to RASAero.

Flight is tomorrow morning! Wish me luck! My sled was a little too short for my RRC2+ assembly, so I opened up one of my sealed unobtanium Straologger CFs to handle the job.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 0
Great video; bummer on some of the results.

Are those some of the 5" tubes I gave away at LDRS behind you during the intro?

Back