What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't built a rocket since August. I had the health scare in a September and started throwing stuff out. My mother died in October. December I continued throwing things out. Got good news in January. I started thinking about rockets. I wanted to do something unique. Not something I have done many times before. I came up with something. I'm going to make a rocket out of the boxes cat litter comes in. Each box is 13.5" tall, 12" wide and 7" deep. I'm going to use 5 boxes. That's about 67" tall. The nose cone will be a wedge. It will have a 38mm mmt and 4 BIG fins. I'm going to put a 3" BT up the middle of the boxes. The fins will be TTW. Apogee for deployment. I'll have to think of a name. Something odd. The picture won't load. Never happened before.

Condolences and sympathies with you, sir. Hope you're doing OK.
'm going to make a rocket out of the boxes cat litter comes in. Each box is 13.5" tall, 12" wide and 7" deep. I'm going to use 5 boxes. That's about 67" tall. The nose cone will be a wedge. It will have a 38mm mmt and 4 BIG fins. I'm going to put a 3" BT up the middle of the boxes. The fins will be TTW. Apogee for deployment. I'll have to think of a name. Something odd.
Great Hairballs of Fire
High Power Heathcliff
Garfield's Revenge
Sylvester's Secret Supply
Life Seven of Nine

I haven't built a rocket since August. I had the health scare in a September and started throwing stuff out. My mother died in October. December I continued throwing things out. Got good news in January. I started thinking about rockets. I wanted to do something unique. Not something I have done many times before. I came up with something. I'm going to make a rocket out of the boxes cat litter comes in. Each box is 13.5" tall, 12" wide and 7" deep. I'm going to use 5 boxes. That's about 67" tall. The nose cone will be a wedge. It will have a 38mm mmt and 4 BIG fins. I'm going to put a 3" BT up the middle of the boxes. The fins will be TTW. Apogee for deployment. I'll have to think of a name. Something odd. The picture won't load. Never happened before.
Condolences and sorry to hear you've had such a rough time. It's good to hear you're doing better.

Rocket idea sounds unique, fun and awesome! You should start a thread for it.

MeWow :)

Sounds like a fun project to get you back in the game. Since you have no shortage of boxes, what about using a few more as 4 rectangular tube fins?

Be prepared for some pretty crude suggestions.

Started on my first fiberglass kit. I'm building the Mach 1 BT-55 Pulse. Thought I would start small and work up to the Wildman Mini Piercer and Wildman Drago 75 in the build pile. Started off washing and then sanding everything. I bought a 3/4" dowel rod and cut of about an 18" piece. Glued 80-grit sandpaper around it so I could sand inside the body tube where the motor mount and TTW fins will be glued. Waiting on the FlexEpox to set up on the centering rings.

Received an email from the Estes importer. They’re having a ‘huge’ sale - more than 2,600 lines (including rockets!)

Great!

So, there are 2,651 lines, 16 of which are rocket related.

Sixteen.

So, 0.6% of items.

Told you LPR was almost unknown in Oz.
Pick any other hobby and find its fraction of the line items. I have to suppose that this is a big importer, so what part of all of Australia's imports are related to any one hobby?

Good thing there's at least one domestic manufacturer of kits.

Good thing there's at least one domestic manufacturer of kits.

Issue is are they making their own Kraft paper tubes?
China Tubes are so bad for rockets, Estes had to ship Euclid made tubes to them to use for their kits.

So is the AU manufacture importing tubes or getting them from the homeland?

So is the AU manufacture importing tubes or getting them from the homeland?

Our tubes come from Custom Rocket Company. USA made. Nice people to deal with. They also supply our NCs and chutes.

Baffles come from Qualman Rocketry. David is simply great to work with and remarkably well priced.

Locally made tubes are possible, with minimum orders around 10 thousand units before it becomes cheaper than imported units.

Balsa is Australian owned sustainable plantation grown on old banana farms in New Guinea. Balsa offcuts are used to dry and cure timber stock.

I’ve looked at Paulownia as a balsa alternative, but a lot more finishing is required on raw timber stock.

Pick any other hobby and find its fraction of the line items. I have to suppose that this is a big importer, so what part of all of Australia's imports are related to any one hobby?

Good question.

On a rough calculation, static models and RC form about 68% of the lines in this sale.

And yes, really big importer.

Back