What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a particularly great day. Perfect afternoon for spray painting, but nothing seemed to come out well. 10 ft rule well, maybe, but I was hoping for better than that. Got some red on my ACME Spifire, but it ran. Got some black on the nosecone of my Odd'l Breakaway but it both bubbled and ran, I obviously had too heavy of a trigger finger. White primer on the body of the Breakaway and ran out of paint... tried to drill through a 3D printed piece and it snapped. Jumped the gun on some wood putty on my Odd'l Cyclone and had to re-do that., though the fin dent repair came out fine. Some days...

I want to get better at airbrushing, but when you have to practice on the pieces that you really love, it's tough!
If it's a small model-sized one, get posterboard. You can practice/change tips, and best, draw on it and follow lines.

spent 3.5 hours on OR drawing up a 1/4 scale Sea Killer which would have a 3-in booster section and a 2-in top section and I would use Dollar Tree plywood for the fins and get some standard cardboard tubing so it would be super cheap and single deployment. Using "H" motors.

spent 3.5 hours on OR drawing up a 1/4 scale Sea Killer which would have a 3-in booster section and a 2-in top section and I would use Dollar Tree plywood for the fins and get some standard cardboard tubing so it would be super cheap and single deployment. Using "H" motors.
Looking forward to the video there!

Yesterday, a gallon fo U.S. Composites thin epoxy with their medium hardener arrived. Time to glass the airframe for the Estes PSII Nike Smoke and finish glassing the fins for the FiberSwarm. (I bought the pumps, so it should be easier to dispense than my Aeropoxy. Though, I realize that Aeropoxy uses a 3:1 ratio by volume, so I might be able to get some pumps for that, later.)

The Nike Smoke airframe glassing will get white pigment added to the epoxy. We'll see how that works.

I'll put it on what did you do not rocketwise today.
OTOH, a van de Graaff or Wimshurst machine could be relevant when painting. You put one charge on the spray gun and the opposite charge on the object you're painting. A trick I saw in a factory once, though they weren't getting the charges from anything so steampunk as either of those gadgets.

Searched, and failed to find an open rocket file for the standard BMS school rocket (not the 3" one) so used photos on the net to guess at bodytube and fin dimensions and some of the internal components mass. Sim showed about 1cal stable and to a little over 200m on an Estes B6-4 or Quest B4-4 which passed the sniff test. Will update with actual dimensions/weights and publish when my kits arrive.

Finished up the Fliskits Whatchamacallit and Aerospace Specialty Products Aerobee 100 Jr, The Aerobee 100 Jr has a 29mm motor mount but will probably see a lot of 24mm with an adapter. Nice simple paint scheme.

Attachments

• ASP Aerobee 100 Jr.jpg
    ASP Aerobee 100 Jr.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Fliskits Whatchamacallit.jpg
    Fliskits Whatchamacallit.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 0
Still trying to resist using evil CA instead of wholesome, high inducing nitrocellulose based glue and lacquer. Adding carbon reinforcements to Jetex rocket glider. Probably should have used thicker, light wood instead. It's not meant to be pretty, though. Wing is based on this model of a Convair F-102, but leaving out the fuselage, putting motor on top, and using two fins. Plus somewhat enlarged. I call it a rocket glider, but it's a slow rocket and will launch horizontally. Or, at least, that's the plan.

Searched, and failed to find an open rocket file for the standard BMS school rocket (not the 3" one) so used photos on the net to guess at bodytube and fin dimensions and some of the internal components mass. Sim showed about 1cal stable and to a little over 200m on an Estes B6-4 or Quest B4-4 which passed the sniff test. Will update with actual dimensions/weights and publish when my kits arrive.
Balsa Machining Services 3" School Rocket
https://www.rocketreviews.com/3-school-rocket-210529163326.html
scale it so the main tube is 0.976" and it's 14" long

Ignore that. Not close.

Try this.
1714622839132.png

And I've uploaded it to Rocket Reviews
https://www.rocketreviews.com/index.php?action=displayopenrocket&imageid=1163195

Attachments

• SchoolRocket Standard BMS Estimatedish.ork
    2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Been falling down a certain rabbit hole for a few months now: a metal/silver paint that handles fingerprints, accepts colour, accepts decals and clear coat without mottling.

This may be it. Plastic scale modellers are raving about Tamiya’s AS-12 bare metal finish. I have watched a ridiculous number of YouTube videos about… yes… a can of spray paint.

Anyhoo… scored a few cans from what seems to be a meagre supply here in Oz. Just need some good weather and an appropriate 🚀 rocket. I’m thinking a V2.

It’s $12.40 a can here, and Tamiya’s little cans only go so far.

IMG_5503.jpegIMG_5502.jpeg

Balsa Machining Services 3" School Rocket
https://www.rocketreviews.com/3-school-rocket-210529163326.html
scale it so the main tube is 0.976" and it's 14" long

Ignore that. Not close.

Try this.
View attachment 643370

And I've uploaded it to Rocket Reviews
https://www.rocketreviews.com/index.php?action=displayopenrocket&imageid=1163195

I had a look at your ORK and while there are a lot of similarities, your PVC nose cone is MUCH heavier than any of the BMS cones in the Open Rocket Library which has a big impact on the stability. Here's mine for comparison (sorry about the dark background, I normally do this in the evening and try to avoid too much white light).
school_rocket_2024-04-02.png

Attachments

• BMS School Rocket.ork
    4 KB · Views: 0
I had a look at your ORK and while there are a lot of similarities, your PVC nose cone is MUCH heavier than any of the BMS cones in the Open Rocket Library which has a big impact on the stability. Here's mine for comparison (sorry about the dark background, I normally do this in the evening and try to avoid too much white light).
View attachment 643384
The clue was in the file name. Estimated from a photo.....and Estes standard tube info. :) ...
SchoolRocket Standard BMS Estimatedish.ork

Planned on flying, but we've had some hellacious winds in the area this weekend, so I contented myself with some time in the paint booth. I got interested in the Estes Spartan last week when I realized it was a Mini Brute, and threw one together with parts and pieces that were laying around the shop. Exciting? No, but I've amassed a decent collection of Mini Brutes over the years and am liking the idea of a MB launch at B6-4 Field, assuming that the winds of late aren't a permanent feature that we'll be dealing with. In that same vein, I'm finishing up work on a Centuri Mini-Dactyl clone that will fit in nicely with the MB launch. Those were the extent of my actual rocketry work for the weekend due to golf on Saturday and grass on Sunday.
What kind of grass are you going to smoke on Sunday?

I have several school rockets. I give them away to kids that are interested. If you want them I'll get them for you.

Last edited:
I have several school. I give them away to kids that are interested. If you want them I'll get them for you.
That would be great, thanks. It's mainly the fin dimensions that are just guess work, but if it was easy to weigh the dowl and nose cone hook I wouldn't say no.

I'd love to be in a position to give them out, unfortunately with the current exchange rates and shipping around the world the best I can manage is selling at cost.

That would be great, thanks. It's mainly the fin dimensions that are just guess work, but if it was easy to weigh the dowl and nose cone hook I wouldn't say no.

I'd love to be in a position to give them out, unfortunately with the current exchange rates and shipping around the world the best I can manage is selling at cost.
Dowel weighs 1.05 grams. nose cone hook weighs .88 grams. Need anything else please let me know.

Been falling down a certain rabbit hole for a few months now: a metal/silver paint that handles fingerprints, accepts colour, accepts decals and clear coat without mottling.

This may be it. Plastic scale modellers are raving about Tamiya’s AS-12 bare metal finish. I have watched a ridiculous number of YouTube videos about… yes… a can of spray paint.

Anyhoo… scored a few cans from what seems to be a meagre supply here in Oz. Just need some good weather and an appropriate 🚀 rocket. I’m thinking a V2.

It’s $12.40 a can here, and Tamiya’s little cans only go so far.

Add: Doesn't interfere with radio transmissions...

Too expensive here as well: https://www.hobbylinc.com/tamiya-as...lver-3-oz-hobby-and-model-lacquer-paint-86512

That's $12.95 in your dollars, according to Google today.

Back