What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Painting season arrived with light enough winds to actually work outside. I 1st coat primed 8 LPR and MPR rockets today. Ran out of primer or I would have done another 10+. :clapping: I went to order online more primer but they were out so tomorrow I run down to the local shop and clean out their stock! Then sand sand sand!

Last edited:
Put a coat of primer on the Leviathan clone, started an Estes Big Bertha for the youngest (she's <5 so dad does most of the building), and gave the oldest an Estes Cosmic Explorer for her birthday.

Finished painting the Argent. My wife says I should call it "Hello Kitty"
It occurs to me that color scheme will be hard to see at altitude. I wonder if anybody has ever done studies on that. I realized that I typically paint with medium to light colors, most of my rockets have red as the darkest color. I want to be able to see them at altitude but I also want to be able to see them hiding in the tall grass.

Someone at our launch a few months ago had a rocket painted light blue. We told them it will disappear at altitude.

Launched rebuilt Blunt Instrument.
1470g 170mm dia 1200mm long on a G64 using Adept ALTS2 50k to an altitude of 452ft at Whalan Reserve, Sydney, Australia.
1714202376395.png

1714202561245.png
1714287201135.png
Apogee
1714287425752.png
1714202738399.png
Not closest to the pad, but close enough.
Thanks to George Katz for the apogee and deployment shots.

Last edited:
It occurs to me that color scheme will be hard to see at altitude. I wonder if anybody has ever done studies on that. I realized that I typically paint with medium to light colors, most of my rockets have red as the darkest color. I want to be able to see them at altitude but I also want to be able to see them hiding in the tall grass.

Someone at our launch a few months ago had a rocket painted light blue. We told them it will disappear at altitude.
If you aren't wearing polarized glasses, dark colors show up best. At least that's my experience. If you're wearing polarized glasses on a clear day, the sky at high angles will look much darker than it does near the horizon, and it gets more complicated.

Finishing up the drogue side of my test 7.5" V2 HED Cannon bay.

View attachment 624571
(Metal washers glued on to help support and cut the shear pins.)
View attachment 624569
View attachment 624572
Still need sampling holes, but a neat package so far.
At the last club launch, the first test of my HED Cannon went very well.

1000016800.jpg

View attachment 1000017223.mp4

It was pretty windy, so I had to max out the rail trajectory and the rocket landed by the pads.

View attachment 1000016798.mp4

Working on the ET DD rocket. I've got the nosecone and payload section in 2 1/2 coats of primer (2 solid coats of gray primer, a slight misting of black paint to tell where I am when sanding it all off). Waiting for the glue to set up on the rear bulkhead, then it gets primer, too. Today's a good day to paint. Well, right up until the front carrying severe storm hits...

crop.jpg

Last edited:
Passed my level 1 cert today H550 on a 3" punisher . Apogee 1189. Short 1700 foot walk for recovery .... then I get home and can't find my cert paperwork !!!!!!!! I'm going to go launch more rockets tomorrow. let's see if my witness will resign the paperwork...should have taken a picture after it was signed . what a rookie move.. :(

I couldn't cert on my birthday yesterday as the wind and rain wasn't cooperating

Passed my level 1 cert today H550 on a 3" punisher . Apogee 1189. Short 1700 foot walk for recovery .... then I get home and can't find my cert paperwork !!!!!!!! I'm going to go launch more rockets tomorrow. let's see if my witness will resign the paperwork...should have taken a picture after it was signed . what a rookie move.. :(

I couldn't cert on my birthday yesterday as the wind and rain wasn't cooperating
Your certifier should have taken a picture of it. They could then have emailed it as an attachment to Tripoli or NAR there and then..... :) You don't have to send the actual paperwork these days......
Congratulations. Now you've passed your driving test you can get a faster CAR....rocket. ( had to change that to capitalization. looked like ear with strikethrough which made no sense....)

Your certifier should have taken a picture of it. They could then have emailed it as an attachment to Tripoli or NAR there and then..... :) You don't have to send the actual paperwork these days......
Congratulations. Now you've passed your driving test you can get a faster CAR....rocket. ( had to change that to capitalization. looked like ear with strikethrough which made no sense....)
Certifiers are not required to do anything except complete the fliers paperwork, the FLIER is the one who is required to submit it to NAR. NAR will send the certifier and email asking for verification that the flier did actually do the certification and that the certifier signed them off but thats about it.

Certifiers are not required to do anything except complete the fliers paperwork, the FLIER is the one who is required to submit it to NAR. NAR will send the certifier and email asking for verification that the flier did actually do the certification and that the certifier signed them off but thats about it.
Anyone CAN submit the paperwork. I've done on behalf of the flyer before. I had the email address in my phone, photo of paperwork, send, done.
So... IMHO they should have done it. Are they required? NO. But if the certifier does send in the paperwork, they're not going to get another email saying did you certify this. So as the certifier is going to have to deal with it by answering an email, why not just simplify the process. KISS

Yep it's my bad, not sure how the heck I lost it but it's gone.. ill be there tomorrow and I'll chat with him.. im.guessing he'll sign it again.. ill post launch video as a soon as I can trim it

Today I RELEASED THE KRAKEN!

twice

First on a G53-5FJ

And since the weather today was a lot cooler because of rain storms rolling in (50's), the piston was stuck in my Amraam, so I decided the King Kraken would MEAN with a red flame. So I decided to fly my G77R in the KK.

I was right!

And here is the vid of all my flight... including the one that didn't make it.

Last edited:
Yep it's my bad, not sure how the heck I lost it but it's gone.. ill be there tomorrow and I'll chat with him.. im.guessing he'll sign it again.. ill post launch video as a soon as I can trim it
My guess is you're correct, I know that as long as I remember the flier and the flight I would most likely have zero issues redoing lost paperwork for the flier, once I have slept on it a couple of times though all bets are off....

Anyone CAN submit the paperwork. I've done on behalf of the flyer before. I had the email address in my phone, photo of paperwork, send, done.
So... IMHO they should have done it. Are they required? NO. But if the certifier does send in the paperwork, they're not going to get another email saying did you certify this. So as the certifier is going to have to deal with it by answering an email, why not just simplify the process. KISS
Actually its not KISS, usually I am not just doing CERT duties, but also trying to run pre-flight inspections and RSO. Its a small club we have limited people, and make the use of volunteers as much as possible. Get a college team doing certs 20 students can eat up a huge chunk of time, its nice of you to do that for the flier but I don't have the time.

Actually its not KISS, usually I am not just doing CERT duties, but also trying to run pre-flight inspections and RSO. Its a small club we have limited people, and make the use of volunteers as much as possible. Get a college team doing certs 20 students can eat up a huge chunk of time, its nice of you to do that for the flier but I don't have the time.
If a college team is turning up at every launch with 20 people wanting to cert without having advised you, stop it from happening. It sounds like you need other club members to step up. I don't think it's been done, but NAR might approve a delegate prefect as an additional resource if it is needed due to the volume. With new college teams coming through every year, it certainly eats up our available resources and launch pads...... Maybe ask them for that additional cert approval assistance formally.
Norm

If a college team is turning up at every launch with 20 people wanting to cert without having advised you, stop it from happening. It sounds like you need other club members to step up. I don't think it's been done, but NAR might approve a delegate prefect as an additional resource if it is needed due to the volume. With new college teams coming through every year, it certainly eats up our available resources and launch pads...... Maybe ask them for that additional cert approval assistance formally.
Norm
We have a process in place to deal with college teams, but they are still personnel intensive, but it is also a good fund raiser for the club. We have the processes so the college teams don't turn into the plague of locust experience some clubs have complained about in other posts, all in all we do fairly well with them. Last launch I was Launch Director, RSO, preflight inspector, volunteers handled LCO duty all day, and pitched in to setup and teardown the equipment. We had 4 separate college teams 3 of which were certifying members, several of our L2 and L3 members stepped up to handle that duty, they dont regularly do it but with a bit of coaching it went pretty smooth. TriCities Rocketeers wouldn't be half the club it is without our volunteer members since we only have 3 active local members.

applied another coat of timber mate filler to the plastic nose cone for the guideline missile, there are always seams to fill on each side when you get towards the top
:mad:

Was looking at the calendar yesterday, and realized that the next launch is next weekend! So today I spent some time looking over my pile O rockets to decided what I want to fly, and started looking over my motor stash to see what I want to fly them on. I went ahead and assembled the RMS motors I plan to fly next weekend, and now all I have to do during the upcoming week is spend about 30 minutes after work each day and go over my electronics and such to make sure everything else is in order!

Finished the construction of the EZ-DD and primed, sanded, painted it. I don't have a black rocket yet, so this is going to be my black rocket. When the paint is suitably hardened I'll probably add some accents, maybe red fins, or silver stars... I'll see what I feel like when it's all standing together. excuse the state of the bench, it's in dire need of a tidy, but shed time is precious, I never want to use it tidying...

Attachments

• 20240428_161217.jpg
    20240428_161217.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240428_161241.jpg
    20240428_161241.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
(Yesterday) Sanded the gray primer that had been applied a couple of weeks back to a two-stage modroc, and gave it another coat, this time of white primer. It started as an Estes Apogee II but I didn't like the upper-stage fins, figuring they'd break off on landing. (Instead I used the aft fins from the ESAM58 kit, since they'd already been papered before I decided not to use them on the ESAM.)

In retrospect I'm probably not getting this one back anyway---minimum diameter C6-0 to C6-7--so what's the difference?:D

Back