What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Six months ago, my household expanded, which is wonderful, but in the aftermath of the move, the functionality of my rocket room was obliterated. Spent much of yesterday getting it sorted out so I can see the top of the workbench again. Looking forward to getting back to building.

Got out and launched the new way rocket and mini fat boy today, no photos but it happened I swear. Sadly couldn’t launch the exocet as the wind had picked up after I’d gone back home and back to "fix" the launch controller not working. I think the batteries died and I accidentally broke it somehow (it is very cheaply built so that might be it) when I was replacing them. Ijust removed the leads and touched the controller end of the wires to the terminals on an 18v drill battery, worked perfectly. Who needs 2-step safety anyways…

Is that to guard against landing damage?
(Jack might be able to tell you.)
I suspect they did it as a design statement, I didn't ask them about it. When I scratch build something of my design I like to have the back of the fins swept forward like that so the fins don't hit the ground, the impact is taken on the motor mount or the rear of the airframe. Of course if I'm copying another design then I have to follow that design.

One of my BT60 rockets has a mount for E motors, I built my own adapter to be the length of an E motor but hold an 18mm motor. After a launch or two I noticed that the adapter was crushed (shortened). I thought surely the adapter wasn't damaged by thrust of a C6 and then I figured out it was probably damaged by impact during recovery. At least it didn't damage any fins.

Seems like there could be a better design answer to the problem of landing impact. Skinny, aerodynamic, lightweight fin tip shock absorbers... R/C car shocks, perhaps?

Cut the fiberglass shrouds on my Smokin X-15 kit. Dusty mess and cutting the surrounding flange off was exhausting (old kit).

1000017137.jpg
Slots were cut with a jigsaw.
1000017148.jpg
I'm a big Ryobi fan... got my first 18v Ryobi drill 30+ years ago and it still works with the new batteries.

1000017149.jpg
Still lots more to do on this big bird!

After I cut off the slanted portion of the plastic 3-in nose cone for the Guideline missile, I sanded it all nicely and and then sanded the plywood bulk plate. I drilled the quarter inch hole for the 1/4-20 eyebolt.

Discovered by way of experimentation that sanding filled tubes goes way faster with way better results if you use a sanding block instead of finger-backed paper. Just didn't seem obvious that a flat surface scrapping a tube would work well, but it does! Now have four tubes ready to complete a Rocketarium VK-7, repair a major zipper on the lower tube of an Estes STM-012 that I fly as a dual deploy setup, and replace the payload bay of an Aerotech Arreauxbee-Hi that had a motor-eject failure in February and ballistically buried itself in Jolly the Horse's pen. (The horse was not injured or even particularly perturbed.)

Came home from work to a package from Wildman sitting on my desk with a 24/60 case, and a few packs of reloads for said case....

After dinner, took some time to go outside and sand the primer on the rockets I primed the other day
IMG_4033.jpg

I then spent some time brainstorming just how in the heck am I going to get a 54/1706 case and recovery gear along with my RTx tracker and a altimeter into a stock Estes Doorknob..... I think I came up with a solution, but only one way to find out! If it fails, I will be buying some more nosecones!
IMG_4024.jpg

Sunday night, actually.

Took a break from the lamb roasting to break one of my own rules: Don’t buy half built kits on EBay. What can I say? It was an Estes Shuttle and a bunch of other opened, unopened, started and not finished stuff.

I like the shuttle; another distinctive John Boren design. I like gliders. I like bargains. I like puppies and the smell of cut grass…

Anyhoo, the whole shebang with postage was less than half what an unopened Shuttle kit is bringing.

Great score or not, we have to wait until it all arrives. I’ll post my thoughts, pictures and stuff like that.

In other news, I make a great lamb roast. 🤠

Last edited:
Came home from work to a package from Wildman sitting on my desk with a 24/60 case, and a few packs of reloads for said case....

After dinner, took some time to go outside and sand the primer on the rockets I primed the other day
View attachment 642068

I then spent some time brainstorming just how in the heck am I going to get a 54/1706 case and recovery gear along with my RTx tracker and a altimeter into a stock Estes Doorknob..... I think I came up with a solution, but only one way to find out! If it fails, I will be buying some more nosecones!
View attachment 642069
I really like the 24/60 motors, but you should count on needing to peel the glassine layer ff of the grain liner. All of my 24/60 reloads have required it.
Jim

Does that style of saw work work for you? It should take less hand strength than a push-to-cut type of saw.
i've used the Dickens out of this thing.
And it can help solve mysteries.

Seems like there could be a better design answer to the problem of landing impact. Skinny, aerodynamic, lightweight fin tip shock absorbers... R/C car shocks, perhaps?
OK, how about this? If it's not a min diameter rocket, recess the motor mount assembly such that the motor's back end is a little bit recessed; watch out for Mr. Krushnic, but I'm talking about maybe a quarter inch, so there should be no problem. After the motor mount is in place, reinforce the aft end of the body tube by gluing in a ring of coupler that extends from the opening of the tube up to the aft CR. With the fins' trailing edges swept forward, it's the doubled body tube that will hit first.

Got carried away with the clear coat, and slung some too soon (12 hours). Ouch. Too many builds to keep track of…
View attachment 642067
I've always thought there's something to be said for that look. I kind of like it.

I've always thought there's something to be said for that look. I kind of like it.
I recently tried a can of Lowes spray paint (had a color that was hard to find), figuring how bad could it be?
It was bad. Really bad.
1000016480.jpg
In the end, I kept going with it figuring that it can simulate a rough texture and luckily it worked out well for me.
1000016755.jpg

I recently tried a can of Lowes spray paint (had a color that was hard to find), figuring how bad could it be?
It was bad. Really bad.
View attachment 642157
In the end, I kept going with it figuring that it can simulate a rough texture and luckily it worked out well for me.
View attachment 642158
At least you can use it as a testbed to see if adding texture to the nose cone reduces drag!

It was bad. Really bad.
View attachment 642157
View attachment 642158
I almost got a can yesterday, it was 1$ cheaper but I figured that 1 more dollar for a name brand was better, looks like I’m correct.

In other news, I make a great lamb roast. 🤠

Practice run for Greek Orthodox Easter on 5 May? Unless things have changed since I left there in '93, the roadsides will be littered in the days prior with pop-up vendors selling single use grills and the like for the traditional grilled lamb entree.

I know of Greeks who had dedicated concrete pits as part of their home foundation, complete with holes in the home wall that formed the short side, and a matching wrought iron upright at the other end upon which one rested the souvla (skewer) onto which the lamb was affixed, for roasting over the bed of coals...

Last edited:
Back