What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday, I prepped my Interstellar and my 3X upscale Estes Bandit with F67-4s, my LOC IV with a G67-5, and my Big Bertha on a B4-4 for a memorial flight for Gleda Estes.

I went to put my I303 into the case this morning and found that the forward portion of the liner is swollen. Its been factory sealed til this morning. I'm going to try lightly sanding the liner to get it to fit. If it fits, then I'll send that in my 5.5" LOC Bullet, "Bajan Thunder" for its test flight for June at LDRS.

I still have a J350 to put together and prep my Magnum for another flight to 1600 feet.

Saturday is going to be a lot of fun.

I flew two rockets at Thunderstruck 2024 in Indiana yesterday. I flew my 5' long by 6"diameter Crayon rocket to 2800' on a Cesaroni J355 Red Lightning. Good flight, easy recovery. For my 2nd flight I flew my 4 fin Mac Performance Black Fly one a Cesaroni I140 Skidmark for a less than optimal flight. I goofed, should of used a motor with more power. No damage, it will fly again. Greg Olson
Does your Black Fly only have 4 fins or am I just confused by the perspective of the picture?

Yes, it only has four fins. It was made to order for someone else and then the buyer cancelled the order. I bought it from Mike at Mac Performance form this forum.

Flew with the rocket club this weekend. Sent up 19 rockets and recovered them all with only one minor break but I might consider strengthening another. The theme for this launch was E12 day. We were expecting a number of CATO's but out of the 20 or so E12 motors launched only one CATO'ed.

Didn't get pics o all flights but here is what I have In the order they appear.

- Razor. Flew on a B6-4 for the first flight of the day.
- Ring and Things. C5-3. Perfect first flight. Really glad I went with the C5-3 as this is a very draggy rocket.
- The Three Wizards. First flight with a B6-4. Perfect flight and deployed all three nosecones
- Alpha. This one is built for 24mm motors. Flew it on an old school Estes D11-9. No room for an altimeter but the SIM is showing 2175 ft. We lost sight of it until ejection but recovered without issue.
- Toobish XL. Flew this on an E12-6. Perfect flight and the long burn gave it some nice altitude but easy to track.
- Mean Machine. Another E12-6 launch. Nice and straight. Nice altitude and easy recovery.
- Boom Daddy. First flight after rebuilt from a previous CATO. Tempted the CATO gods with another E12-6 but it went off with no issues.
- PML I.O. First launch after restoration. Sent it on an E30-4 for a perfect flight. PDawg had to jump out of the way as this one wanted to land in his wagon at the launch table.
- Fat Boy 29mm. Third flight on this one. After a less than perfect launch on an F67 last year, I decided to stretch the body tube three inches and try again. This time it launched on an F23-7 off the rail and the flight was nice. Wind had kicked up a little bit but still had a nice flight.
- Luna Bug BT80 upscale. This is an in process build but I managed to get some paint on it Saturday so it was good to fly. Flew on an E12-4 for a really nice flight. Being worried about the pads breaking off, I had a 30" chute on board but it didn't matter. The pads survived but it cracked a fin on landing. More info will be over on the build thread later tonight.
- Luna Bug BT60 upscale. Awesome flight on a D12-5.
- Baby Bertha D. This is a pic. of the first of two flights for this rocket at that launch. First flight was a D12-7. Since it recovered relativity close I upped my game a bit later in the day and sent it on an E20-7. Again super nice flight, lost track of it until ejection but recovered it as the chute deployed but didn't fully open. Minor crack to one fin.
- Long Ranger - First flight since the quick build last week. Wasted no time and went straight to the C6-5. Perfect flight and recovery.
- Magnum sport loader. Getting late in the day and I was getting tired. Took it easy with a C11-5. Nice clean flight with close recovery.
- Yellow Jacket. Flew on a B6-4. Nice high flight as this is a super light rocket. Recovered close.
04142024_1.jpg04142024_3.jpg04142024_5.jpg04142024_6.jpg04142024_7.jpg04142024_10.jpg04142024_11.jpg04142024_12.jpg04142024_13.jpg04142024_14.jpg04142024_16.jpg04142024_17.jpg04142024_18.jpg04142024_20.jpg04142024_21.jpg04142024_22.jpg

- Finally PDawg and I set up a drag race. We both flew Micro Magg's on F67-6 motors. Nice stable flights but his batteries were getting a little tired so they didn't leave at the same time.

04142024_23.png04142024_24.png04142024_25.png

Last edited:
Made new fins for my 6" X-15 because the ones I got were crap (only 1/4" thin, cut crooked, 3 different root sizes, and root tabs apparently cut for 54mm motor tube when this one is 75mm).

Home Depot had a piss poor selection of 3/8" plywood and their 2'x4' plywood section was complete chaos. This was the best from the sad group of 3 I found. I drew the patterns around the knots lol
1000016935.jpg
(Lots of back and forth since none of the original traced fins were correct.)

1000016944.jpg

Got them cut just as the rain started!
1000016946.jpg

Trying to get this built in time for a May local club flight and them onto LDRS!

Trying to decide which rocket for my level 1 cert on my birthday.(1 of 4 rockets) . The April Showers launch in Brothers Oregon on the 26th.... there's one more rocket not in the pic yet.. its a 3" punisher that's getting painted red white and blue.. .. im leaning towards the 4" goblin but...

Hopefully I pass cert and I'll fly the other 3 as well :)
20240415_211345.jpg

I did some ground testing on my Extreme darkstar. I had intermittent success with the laundry exiting the payload tube.
I tested 4 times with same amount of powder (3g) but on two tests the chute "burrito" folded itself in half an jammed in the end of the tube.I ran out of time to experiment further but the theory right now is my "burrito" was too long and thin (not really THAT log and thin - it looked like a burrito) that the bottom part of the burrito comes up alongside the top part and was very tight. I wish I had taken a picture of the folded in half burrito plugging the tube.
So given some more testing - I am going to (and this seems counterintuitive) pack my "burrito" shorter, wider, and a bit tighter in the tube thinking it will be less likely to fold itself and act more like cannon wadding. Have others seen this?

View attachment 1713196260317.mov

Last edited:
Spent 3 days trying to cut the correct 15 degree angle into the fin root of my 6" X-15 horizontals (3/8" plywood). This was surprisingly difficult!

I initially tried a band saw (not straight enough), then a bench top sander (too small), then my friend's sliding miter saw (twice, but not precise enough/not enough control and view).

In the end, I just used my old Ryobi circular saw with a fine 100 tooth blade and that was the magic sauce!

1000016975.jpg
1000016979.jpg

Spent 3 days trying to cut the correct 15 degree angle into the fin root of my 6" X-15 horizontals (3/8" plywood). This was surprisingly difficult!

I initially tried a band saw (not straight enough), then a bench top sander (too small), then my friend's sliding miter saw (twice, but not precise enough/not enough control and view).

In the end, I just used my old Ryobi circular saw with a fine 100 tooth blade and that was the magic sauce!

View attachment 640879
View attachment 640881
Is that for epoxy?​

Trying to decide which rocket for my level 1 cert on my birthday.(1 of 4 rockets) . The April Showers launch in Brothers Oregon on the 26th.... there's one more rocket not in the pic yet.. its a 3" punisher that's getting painted red white and blue.. .. im leaning towards the 4" goblin but...

Hopefully I pass cert and I'll fly the other 3 as well :)
View attachment 640861
I vote for the Goblin!

Just posted in the Rocketry Events subforum. Tripoli Oklahoma has a new launch site. We finally got all the admin details worked out. We will be launching from Spaceport Oklahoma on Sunday, April 21. The site was a SAC bomber base during the cold war. We've got lots of area to fly and recover in. See the club website for maps and details. We're really excited about this. Hope the weather is good.

Got the internal spirals sanded before the rain started. Then I started the fin fillets. The fins were glued on with epoxy (at first I tried wood glue but it didn't work to well), but I decided to go back to glue for the fillets. Doing one side at a time to prevent runs. Bonus. My wildman order with the G53 for this should arrive today!
IMG_20240417_111156038.jpg

More work on the 6" X-15.

Started a mock up to see how the parts in current positions look. Motor tube and fins are actually behind the body tube, so the fins look higher due to photo angle.

1000016997.jpg

Tried to get a side shot, but winds picked up and the wings, which are only taped onto the motor tube, were starting to flap lol

1000016999.jpg

Latest posts

Back