What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A while back I was one of the few that managed to get the correct kits for Amazon when they had that bulk Wizard sale. I've built a few of them, gave away a bunch but had three left that have been staring at me for far too long so it's time to do something with them.

After staring at them for a while I decided to that I wanted to build something different so this happened.

I started but cutting my own fins. Roughly the same size as the Wizard fins but with a straight outer edge. Note the notches as these are going to slip together. I cut a total of six of them.

1.jpg

After a combination of too much coffee, too many drinks, not enough sleep etc. etc. This happened.

Three tubes glued together with a single 18mm motor tube in the center. The motor tube is vented into the outer three tubes so it will pop all three cones and recover with three streamers.

3.jpg2.jpg4.jpg

Got some paint on my three tube Wizard thing.

6.jpg

Also working on rebuilding an Estes Laser Lance. Literally, the only thing from the original that was salvageable was the nose cone, reducer and enough of the fins to get a pattern. This one came from a box of forgotten rockets I picked up off market place some years ago. Really should have taken a picture of it. Replaced all the tubes, motor mount, recovery and fins. The fins are cut from Basswood and the outer fins were papered with epoxy for some additional strength.

I plan to send up the altimeter in this one so vent holes have been added to the payload section and the motor mount was lengthened to allow for 24mm E motors. Nose weight will be added as needed for those flights.

1.jpg
2.jpg

Last edited:
Prepped some files for vinyl cutting. Wasted half an hour with “File too large” errors after resizing images in Cricut Design.

Measured image sizes in Inkscape and transposed them to the Cricut, failing to remember it works in cm, not mm.

I must have known, and subsequently forgotten, that vital piece of information.

One decimal point is all it takes. Just one…

Sanded fins on my DRM (original size). When it stops RAINING in Atlanta, I hope to be able to shoot primer on it.

Also, cemented the nose cone together for my Estes Little Joe I. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that I needed to match up the three parts correctly before applying plastic cement. /sigh Oh, well. It'll still pass the 10-foot rule after I paint it.

Built an M1550 Redline for my L3 rocket "Red-tailed Extreme". Data mined the history on it since it's first flight on an M1297 back in 2014 at Airfest. This rocket made it's 25th flight last year at NSL in Alamosa, Co. on yet another M1550 to 15,713 ft., it's highest flight to date. It helps to start at 7600 ft., which is the ground elevation at the SLVR launch site. Twelve of its 25 flights have been on that M1550, which is the most perfect motor for this rocket. Every flight has exceeded 10,000 ft. for a total of 337,424 ft.

Finished this off last night for a 6" hybrid project. Mechanical (non pyro) parachute reefing device c/w battery, UHF transceiver, processor board, LDR, switches and mechanical latch. Primarily triggered by RF coded signal from the rocket's altimeter/flight computer but I can also trigger it from the ground via RF transceiver. Onboard LDR provides separation detection which is transmitted back to the flight computer, which should subsequently transmit the separation status back to the ground station. 9V battery only shown for scale. Black wire: floating patch antenna.
Reefing_Device2.jpg

Last edited:
Finished this off last night for a 6" hybrid project. Mechanical (non pyro) parachute reefing device c/w battery, UHF transceiver, processor board, LDR, switches and mechanical latch. Primarily triggered by RF coded signal from the rocket's altimeter/flight computer but I can also trigger it from the ground via RF transceiver. Onboard LDR provides separation detection which is transmitted back to the flight computer, which should subsequently transmit the separation status back to the ground station. 9V battery only shown for scale. Black wire: floating patch antenna.
Reefing_Device2.jpg
Hmmm....where do I find such a device?

Reefing_Device2.jpg

Interested in how this works. Would love to see a ground test.

Hmmm....where do I find such a device?
My apologies, this is not a commercial device. It's only built for 1 particular project. Because the device relies on RF comms to activate, I can't see it being a particularly great seller. My flight electronics are all based around 2 way RF comms functionality, so it was designed around that. More than happy to illustrate and describe the internals if anyone is curious.
What could be a product available for offer is the mechanical latch part which is an independent subsystem within. I had a small batch of those chassis made up and have most of the parts to put a few together. If anyone is interested in that, let me know.
7075 T651 case c/w Grade 3 black anodizing , CPM154 stainless Tab hardened to 65HRC. Recommended to both hold and actuate with a 500N load.

Dims2.png

TP

Last edited:
Back