• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did a test of a dual deploy av bay that sits in the shoulder of a nose cone. This would allow easy conversion to single deploy. Not sure if it's been done yet, but I'll call it "HED Cannon" for now. (HED = Head End Deploy.)

Bay:
20231217_095540.jpg
Testing the Main/nose side first, so drogue side isn't finished yet.

In the shoulder of a 7.5 Loc nose cone:
20231217_100948.jpg
Stealthy! Sampling holes will be added later towards the bottom of the shoulder.

(4) 2-56 shear pins were added just above the shoulder for testing.

Last edited:
Did a test of a dual deploy av bay that sits in the shoulder of a nose cone. This would allow easy conversion to single deploy. Not sure if it's been done yet, but I'll call it "HED Cannon" for now. (HED = Head End Deploy.)

Bay:
View attachment 620483

View attachment 620484
Stealthy! Sampling holes will be added later towards the bottom of the shoulder.

Here's the first test with 2.0g bp.
View attachment 20231217_105311_1.mp4
😆

Notes:
  • Sending the bay out alone resulted in the nice launch. If I had it inside the body of the rocket and nose out, the nose wouldn't have shot so far.
  • Next time I'll tape the lines and decrease the angle.
  • This was a fairly rushed build and testing because I wanted to test this weekend and rain was coming.

Last edited:
Finished turning pens for Christmas Gifts, so I broke out the balsa and turned a BT-20 Wolverine-ish nose cone, just to see if I could do the undercut.

IMG_488_SMALL.jpg

Now I just need to sketch out the proportions and try with a BT-50 blank.

Oh, here are most of the pens, the ones that aren't wrapped yet :rolleyes:

IMG_4874_Small.jpg

I attended our monthly larger field launch. Somebody counted about 35 cars and we had numerous high school teams there doing test flights. I launched 4 rockets, volunteered for a shift, and took a lot of photos. When I delete the unusable ones I have over 60 photos left. Below is my Estes Vapor, built last year, and my Estes Sprint XL built this year as one of my batch of 5. The Sprint has enough paint on it to be presentable but I will put more stripes and roll patterns on it as soon as I can. Once I get the better photos selected and edited I will post them on the NAR facebook page.
DSC_0266b.jpgDSC_0416b.jpg

There have been very few, but more than zero times in my life that I'd have liked to have a vice on my kitchen work surface.

In the original thread someone commented that it not identifies as a juicer. :)

How is that PVC working out for you? I used 1/2in copper. Smaller and no heat issues.

No wonder you call it a cannon.
Blow it out or blow it up!

Bay:
View attachment 620483

View attachment 620484

Neatly packaged. Noting that you said this is dual-deploy, is the bottom of the bulkhead going to get charges too, or do you use a cable cutter or something on a single chute in the nosecone?

How is that PVC working out for you? I used 1/2in copper. Smaller and no heat issues.
I've been using PVC for years and like them a lot myself. Cheap and I've never had one crack or rupture. I get them larger and pack in dog barf and tape the top shut.

I was considering copper and even looked at some recently at Home Depot, but the cost was nuts lol. Also I've heard you have to be careful of and prevent any electrical shorting.

Neatly packaged. Noting that you said this is dual-deploy, is the bottom of the bulkhead going to get charges too, or do you use a cable cutter or something on a single chute in the nosecone?
Yes, it's being built as redundant dd and I just need to finish building the drogue side similar to the main side.

I wanted to try a different dd version on the main side and test this weekend before the rain deluge came (and boy did it come!).

I have a 6" X-15 that I'd like to convert to dd and while I did that for my 4" successfully, the 6" isn't the same construction and nose cone, so I'm trying to come up with another way that won't break it in the region of the strakes and also have the bay as forward as possible (plus it being Stealthy and an easy swap to single deploy is a bonus).

I'll test this on a few hp rockets in the spring when my club starts up again.

Spent time building Aspire number 2. This one has a couple mods that I hope will work out. On my first Aspire, my poorly installed paper shock cord mount scraped up the streamer each flight, then finally tore free of the body on its final flight. This version uses a 29mm centering ring for a shock cord mount, epoxied just above the tube coupler. Another mod was to split off the top 5.5 inches of airframe into a payload bay for an altimeter 2 and marco polo tracker. Made of a simple plywood disk bulkhead with kevlar attach loop, and epoxy fillets. Nose cone attached to the bay with a small metal screw, and vent holes drilled for the altimeter. Then finally, fins airfoiled, papered, attached, and filleted. Ready for primer!

Attachments

• 20231203_160715.jpg
    20231203_160715.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • 20231203_155444.jpg
    20231203_155444.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231203_164133.jpg
    20231203_164133.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 20231215_203751.jpg
    20231215_203751.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231217_112521.jpg
    20231217_112521.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
Sanding, sanding, sanding. Shaping the fins of the LOC IV and working on the motor rings.
Also waiting for my BuyRocketMotors Black Friday purchase to arrive. They shipped it at the end of Nov but it's been stuck in USPS hell for the last week and a half. Just hoping the Iris rocket in the order doesn't get damaged from this.

Did some surgery on the rocket I am I restoring for my local club. It will be sold and proceeds will go to the club as a donation.
IMG_3035.jpeg
Apparently it sat in a tree for 3 years, then sat in storage for another 3. Here is what the inside of the pro54 3(?)g case looks like.
IMG_3031.jpeg
Currently stuck, but still working it.

I FINALLY got this dang 9" Megabuster painted. I built it over a year ago and it has been sitting in a corner of my shop since then. Still needs a clear coat, but at least the painting is done. Should get a flight at Red Glare and/or LDRS this year.

PXL_20231218_204653464.jpg

I like trying to find cool YouTube videos, this ones pretty awesome. Thought about organizing today but in too much pain lately, I'm going to the chiropractor the last time it was this bad he helped me a bit. But im also making a list and looking at stuff I'll need for dual deployment builds. I found a vinyl santa poster, its time to re-do the Christmas tree.

Earlier today too was gonna toss out a roll that came some aluminum foil. Figured I'd keep it to use as an airframe but it fits pretty nice side a BT-60 tube. Its definitely going to help out th 29mm High-Flier XL I've been slowy getting too. The third picture with the brown tube was me missing around with an Estes Super Alpha airframe first.

I took the rest of the foil off it, definitely a ok source for couplers or to strengthen the entire airframe from the inside. I need to wait until the 3D printer, but want to make a BT-80 rocket with 4 different motor setups with removable motor tubes for each. I've had this idea for a while, its not like the one LOC Precision uses either. Its about time for bed, my appt is Wednesday I can't wait to get some relief. Probably not doing much more until then, but surfing the sites and watching vidoes. Here's that one below, I like it.

Attachments

• 20231218_193709.jpg
    20231218_193709.jpg
    659.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231218_125333.jpg
    20231218_125333.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 20231218_125357.jpg
    20231218_125357.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231218_125527.jpg
    20231218_125527.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231218_125602.jpg
    20231218_125602.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 20231218_125629.jpg
    20231218_125629.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231218_125636.jpg
    20231218_125636.jpg
    855.5 KB · Views: 0
There have been very few, but more than zero times in my life that I'd have liked to have a vise on my kitchen work surface.

EDIT: Fixed the amuzing spellling errer.
Something tells me the one time I'd need a vise in the kitchen it would greatly outweigh the times I don't need it, lol...

Yes, The launch pictured was at the MARS Geneseo location. I also fly out of URRG in Potter. Fortunate to have two great sites available!
Yeah I just joined URRG this year, I've only ever joined one other club here in PA, SPAAR. But that was earlier this year too, so having joined them I didn't look around at too many more clubs until recently. To find out that the two clubs were so close was just unexpected. I thought it was a little more then a drive than the 20 mins or so separating the two.

I'm from Pennsylvania myself, so I'm learning the area up that way now a little. But its a nice drive pretty much due north from Lewisburg, Pa. We take Route 15 right here up though Williamsport then that turns into 99 at the border(NY), then its to 86 then 53, and ater that I forget the side roads I need GPS still. I've only been there twice so far and its a very easy drive. Its actually a nice drive to just chill out, most of my trips are always just 10 to 15 mins once or twice a week.

Mostly Research stuff. (I'll post in the Research forum what I did.) I did receive the last of Chris Short's 38mm snap rings and some of his 54mm snap rings. Used some rust remover and a wire brush on some of the 38mm rings.

Back