What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm did a repair on the big 3D printer too early in the morning and without enough coffee. I'm did a fresh slice and now trying to print an E9 sized saucer yet again.

I started making that Starlight Sparrow. I've nicknamed it Fake Zoomie. Because reasons....

The eRockets sanding sealer didn't give me quite the finish I was looking for. I'll give the fins and nose cone a light coat of very thin CWF to get rid of the imperfections. All in all, I'll probably keep using the sealer (at least until it's gone) for the initial passes since it really cuts down on the sanding dust from the CWF.

IMG_4855.JPGIMG_4856.JPG

Well...yesterday. Rounded up parts for a BT-60 size BullPup. 3/32 basswood fins, ttw. Cut on the bandsaw, then match sanded.
Bt is marked for the slots. Tailcone is the same as on the Sprint XL.
24mm MMT.
300# Kevlar for the shock cord mount from the motor tube to top of airframe.
Nosecone is the same as the Estes Patriot. All stuff I had in the stash.
Will upscale the Estes decals and print on waterslide paper.
Just something to do for the winter.
I have an Estes BullPup 12d kit built for 24mm ( it IS a 12d, so...) and fly it a ton.
Updates on the Bt-60 'Pup....mmt assembled. Mmt and tailcone installed. Fins attatched.

Attachments

• IMG_20231121_182759097~2.jpg
    IMG_20231121_182759097~2.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231126_162049841.jpg
    IMG_20231126_162049841.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231129_204552795.jpg
    IMG_20231129_204552795.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
We got together today for a mid power launch at the farm fields.
Beautiful sunny day with light winds.
Several high school and college students launched their projects.
I got five rockets in the air.
My flight highlights are:

Launched my first CTI and sparky motor. Madcow Jayhawk on a F50 Skidmark drilled to 6 seconds delay. Good flight but separation of chute and main body at ejection. Both parts recovered. Amazingly, no damage to the Jayhawk. 1209231036[1].jpg

And I finally got my Loc Viper IV in the air. 4 X D12-5 motors. All motors lit, nominal flight with no damage.
1209231011[1].jpg

It was a berry, berry good day!
😀

Launched my first CTI and sparky motor. Madcow Jayhawk on a F50 Skidmark drilled to 6 seconds delay. Good flight but separation of chute and main body at ejection. Both parts recovered. Amazingly, no damage to the Jayhawk.

No Damage ??? :questions:

I thought that the canards fell off if you looked at them sideways?

Seriously though, Congrats on the Good flights.

Flew the DreddNought twice at today's QRS Dec launch day. Both on Pro24 6G G motors to about 1750ft. Both successful and the JLCR worked fine too which is good news.

Yesterday I epoxied on all three of the fins onto the 38mm carbon fibre build project. They're made of a balsa core with two skins of 200gsm carbon laminated onto them each side. Only 5 grams each.
Fixed them on with JB Weld and will likely put a bigger fillet radius on each and do a tip-to-tip lamination on them. The 85cm body tube/fin combo weight so far is 150grms.
This project is intended to be a purpose build from scratch 38mm electronic dual deploy rocket to fly on CTI Pro24 6G CTI G and Pro38 1G motors mainly, which OR sims the competed rocket to 3400ft. An Aerotech DMS H550ST sims to 6800ft - a possible fin-shredder!

Fins attached pic1.jpg Fins attached pic2.jpg

More work on the Boosted Bertha - Mounted the fourth booster fin, and filleted with one layer of Titebond II and two layers of Titebond Quick and Thick.
Cut out the 1/4" basswood fins for the 24mm booster and cut the slots for them in a BT60 tube for the booster.
Made the patterns and calculations for the 24mm E motor sized tube, retainer, rings, and D-motor spacer.

Slept in this morning, Sunday is a more relaxed day usually. Got up at 4:30 and started the coffee, brought up google calendar and planned our day/week/month.... Regular stuff.
Jumped into the hot tub a little before 6. Got out and sat out by the lake/water hazard and checked emails. Found this:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/perfectflight.162419/#post-2521842
Sharon and I both jumped up and hit the computers, mine has a quick link, so I got there first, because I check their site regularly. 6:45 out of stock....

I know I'm greedy, I have over twenty redundant dual deploy rockets, and several more (single altimeter) smaller ones that all have Stratologgers in them, ready to fly. Might even have a couple more in my stash, for future builds. Can't have too many in my opinion, best altimeter you will ever own, if you could just score one!

Not today, but yesterday:

Attended the last launch of the year at Dalzell, SC with the good folks from Tripoli SC and ROSCO. First launch was my Estes Goblin with an Aerotech D9 RMS motor. Beautiful boost, fantastic altitude and, despite it having NO parachute or streamer, just nose-blow, drifted so far away I couldn't find it. :(

Second launch was my EZI65 on a Loki I110 Moonburner. On board was an Eggtimer Quasar setup for dual deploy, with a 6 ft. Top Flight streamer in the booster for apogee deployment and the stock LOC parachute with spill-hole in the payload section for main deployment at 500 ft. AGL. Beautiful boost, perfect deployment. Undersized parachute. Broke on of the fins on landing. Repairable, but no more flights for that one until fixed.

Third attempt was the FiberMax on an Aerotech H250G with an Eggtimer Apogee for deployment of a 60" Spherachute. Got it on the rail and couldn't seem to find the screw to arm the altimeter. Walked back to the LCO table and told them to go ahead with the other flights, as I didn't want to hold folks up. After those flights, I went back out with a flashlight to see if I could find the problem. Simple fix: rotate the bulk-plate so the screw lines up with the access hole in the coupler. (DOH!) Armed it, inserted a Magnalite starter and hooked up the clips. Sent "W5NNH" in Morse on the continuity button and headed back to the LCO table for what would have been the last flightin Dalzell for the year. Spit the igniter. :mad: That left Wes Munn's son with the last flight of the year.

Had a great time!

Started working on a scratchbuilt Candy Cane rocket. :wavingsanta:
View attachment 618755
Will try to finish and launch by Christmas, but more of a fun backburner project for me. 🙂
You are hereby officially notified that you must launch it at least once at a Tripoli Research launch using a sugar motor that you've added Peppermint Oil to.

This is more than just today... a couple of days ago it was warm here so I picked out what I could from the batch of 6 to start painting. I grabbed yellow, red, black, orange and primer, and 4 rockets. I got the black, yellow and primer done. The red* was in a spitting mood but I painted anyway. Someday when I get a better can of red I may have to repaint that. The orange* wouldn't work at all so I painted the FatBoy with yellow instead. None of the rockets that got color is actually done, they will require some masking for further paint at some point in the future. Rocket #5 of 6 got a couple of gluing operations done.

*(that's why I hate Rustoleum so much)

Made a cardboard cradle to try my hand at fiberglassing a tube.

20231210_203201.jpg
My wife complained about me buying that stupidly heavy duty stapler on Amazon used sale (~$25? 😆) but it worked like a charm for stapling the cardboard boxes together. It can staple almost half a ream (210 sheets) and came with staples too!

Starting with a 7.5" Loc V2 bt. I don't care if it comes out imperfect since I'll likely apply a camo scheme to it.

20231210_203359.jpg

Made a cardboard cradle to try my hand at fiberglassing a tube.

View attachment 619391
My wife complained about me buying that stupidly heavy duty stapler on Amazon used sale (~$25? 😆) but it worked like a charm for stapling the cardboard boxes together. It can staple almost half a ream (210 sheets) and came with staples too!

Starting with a 7.5" Loc V2 bt. I don't care if it comes out imperfect since I'll likely apply a camo scheme to it.

View attachment 619392
Broke out my West Systems epoxy that I hadn't used since 2016... molasses or hot chocolate anyone? 😆
20231210_221326.jpg
20231210_221435.jpg
20231210_221547.jpg
Mudpoxy!

Back