What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had placed a black Friday order, but still hadn't gotten it. The seller emailed me today with a pic of it delivered. I responded that the address was wrong and that's not my house in the pic.
20231206_123946.jpg
I went across the street and down a few houses to pick up my two Loc 7.5 kits that had been sitting outside (at times in the rain) since Saturday (the house owner had moved). 🤦‍♂️
20231206_124325.jpg
One box was pretty soggy and the inside was very damp, but parts seemed OK.

The other box was pretty wet on one side and two body tubes had wet areas, but also seemed fine. Thank goodness!

Last edited:
Ya evah notice those that are gonna burn though the hobby? Novae that burn bright, and then, gone. Consumed by rocketry... then... done with that, time to do drones. Or pickle ball (whatever that is), or MCUs, or Astronomy. Boats. Cars.
So many over the last 30 years... Just ROCKETRY FLAME ON! Then.. oh gee... I've done it. FLAME OFF.

Ya evah notice those that are gonna burn though the hobby? Novae that burn bright, and then, gone. Consumed by rocketry... then... done with that, time to do drones. Or pickle ball (whatever that is), or MCUs, or Astronomy. Boats. Cars.
So many over the last 30 years... Just ROCKETRY FLAME ON! Then.. oh gee... I've done it. FLAME OFF.
I've seen that a lot lately especially on Instagram too. They come in and buy a bunch of very expensive stuff, build all kinds of unnecessary stuff that looks "cool" , for some reason they have that "I'm the first one to do this to a rocket" attitude. If thats the first thing they say anymore I tell them good luck. Its not that I don't want to helo them but most people won't take advice that act like that. But It lasts a few months then they don't listen, lose rockets consistently, or give up because its always some companies fault.

You give them some friendly advice when they ask for it, then they lecture you. I've seen this a few times in 33 years of building and flying. I'm in love with rocketry, absolutely am. Some come in too with dangerous stupid stuff then someone needs to speak up from a safety standpoint. This sport could be very easily hurt and stopped from one stupid stunt.

Thanks! For up to 4" diameter, I currently use small nylon 2-56 shear pins, which I sourced from a mix of places including Wildman, rail-buttons (picture below) and even Amazon (can't find the same ones any longer) and imo they are all pretty much are the same in this size since it's less than 2mm wide (about one Lincoln penny nose!).

View attachment 618321
Oh man I just placed an order with them, lol. Thank you, I'm getting into DD and gathering all the info on what I'll need to gather. I wasn't sure if it was something you could source from a local store or in bulk elsewhere online. Theres a few things rocketry related that I've been making myself if possible not to save money but for the experience.

One thing I'm getting is a 3D printer, could you use a weaker material or make them thin enough you could 3D print your own sheer pins? I'm just curious, so many things have become beneficial to this hobby in many ways. I haven't been part of the rocketry community for a long time, well about 2013. So quite a few things getting back into this, have just been amazing to see.

Anyways, thank you. I'm getting ready for more Dr appts so I have some time to kill. I appreciate the help, take it easy.

Oh man I just placed an order with them, lol. Thank you, I'm getting into DD and gathering all the info on what I'll need to gather. I wasn't sure if it was something you could source from a local store or in bulk elsewhere online. Theres a few things rocketry related that I've been making myself if possible not to save money but for the experience.

One thing I'm getting is a 3D printer, could you use a weaker material or make them thin enough you could 3D print your own sheer pins? I'm just curious, so many things have become beneficial to this hobby in many ways. I haven't been part of the rocketry community for a long time, well about 2013. So quite a few things getting back into this, have just been amazing to see.

Anyways, thank you. I'm getting ready for more Dr appts so I have some time to kill. I appreciate the help, take it easy.
The best option is to order from a rocketry supply company, but...
I've used a lot of the small shear pins from different sources and they were all pretty much the same from what I could tell. Of course you need to do ground tests anytime you try something new or different.
I had some from Amazon that I liked, but it's no longer available. I found these white ones on Amazon, so search for similar (they seemed a bit pricey vs. the least ones I got, but you get 50).
Most are flat head, which is a pain because the screwdriver slips right off like it was on ice lol. I found some Phillips one a while back and those were great, but can't recall where (most likely Amazon).
Regarding 3D printed, I can't say, so I would ask in the 3D print thread if I were you. I'll update if/when I find better ones on Amazon (searching is problematic because you get a lot of garbage including all the metal bolts).

Instead of pins try plates.

I've used a lot of the small shear pins from different sources and they were all pretty much the same from what I could tell. Of course you need to do ground tests anytime you try something new or different.
I had some from Amazon that I liked, but it's no longer available. I found these white ones on Amazon, so search for similar (they seemed a bit pricey vs. the least ones I got, but you get 50).
Most are flat head, which is a pain because the screwdriver slips right off like it was on ice lol. I found some Phillips one a while back and those were great, but can't recall where (most likely Amazon).
Regarding 3D printed, I can't say, so I would ask in the 3D print thread if I were you. I'll update if/when I find better ones on Amazon (searching is problematic because you get a lot of garbage including all the metal bolts).
I go to my local fastener store* (tacomascrew.com) when I need them. They're showing 100-packs for a little over $10 plus shipping in flat head or pan head. I don't know how that compares to Amazon, though I'm willing to spend a little more at local brick and mortar places. I personally like flat heads a little better than pan heads, mainly because I don't try to tap the holes. I just drill the hole slightly smaller than the thread major diameter and tap the screw in place with the butt of a screwdriver. Friction holds it in place just fine. After flight, the cut pieces push out relatively easily with an awl.

* Every time I see something like this, I'm reminded of how fortunate I am to live in a place with two different fastener stores (one's an extremely-well-stocked Ace) within a 10-minute drive.

Ok, I'm not looking to save money or one of those I have to make them myself type guys. A few things I've been able to save money on shipping, but its not a big deal to order again from rail buttons if they are the best to use. I'd like to order most of the DD stuff at once soon, and like you said run some ground tests first. I'll ask about the 3D printed stuff, thank you.

I go to my local fastener store* (tacomascrew.com) when I need them. They're showing 100-packs for a little over $10 plus shipping in flat head or pan head. I don't know how that compares to Amazon, though I'm willing to spend a little more at local brick and mortar places. I personally like flat heads a little better than pan heads, mainly because I don't try to tap the holes. I just drill the hole slightly smaller than the thread major diameter and tap the screw in place with the butt of a screwdriver. Friction holds it in place just fine. After flight, the cut pieces push out relatively easily with an awl.

* Every time I see something like this, I'm reminded of how fortunate I am to live in a place with two different fastener stores (one's an extremely-well-stocked Ace) within a 10-minute drive.
I'm also in a spot that has many stores fastner specific well stocked, big reason I've been going local or just Amazon.

Started building the motor mount and the bulkhead for my LOC Sandhawk. You can see how I attach the Kevlar string that I'll use to tether the nose cone as a backup if it comes loose.

Also decided after the first coat of primer that the spirals on my Nike Smoke needed some filler.

20231207_173458.jpg20231207_173548.jpg20231207_173610.jpg

Assembled my first CTI motor.
24mm 3 grain F50SK, delay drilled to 6 seconds.
Going up tomorrow on a Madcow Jayhawk w/adapter.
Rocksim says just under 1K ft.
How do you guys keep the igniter all the way up in the motor?
The red cap is loosey goosey.
Narrow length of tape?

Assembled my first CTI motor.
24mm 3 grain F50SK, delay drilled to 6 seconds.
Going up tomorrow on a Madcow Jayhawk w/adapter.
Rocksim says just under 1K ft.
How do you guys keep the igniter all the way up in the motor?
The red cap is loosey goosey.
Narrow length of tape?
I usually put a little loop in the igniter wire where it comes out of the nozzle, then put the red cap on. If the cap doesn’t stay on of its own accord, a little piece of masking tape over the nozzle and igniter works just fine.

I had my 50th anniversary in the hobby launch. Not exactly to the day but within a week. Covid and the weather weren't exactly cooperating either.

I flew an AstroCam to show how far things have come in 50 years. The E2X booster wasn't far removed from my original Alpha III, but that sort of digital video wasn't possible back in the CineRoc days. Plus I couldn't build an Omni-Pad or analog logic launch controller back in then either. I wanted to fly one of the Calibies to show how much I've come in 50 years another way around but the weather wasn't quite right.

And because my life isn't stupid enough already, I'm going to start building a Starlight Rockets Sparrow for a friend tomorrow. Yes, he's in on the in-joke.

This is my test flyer or windy day rocket, "Wendy". I never finished painting it so grabbed a Sharpie today and did the fins then entire nosecone, I'll add more to it...... Maybe a pack of good sharpies is better than some paints, Its bed time, 😆.

Oh looked at another future buy too a bit ago.

Attachments

• 20231208_104321.jpg
    20231208_104321.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231208_103317.jpg
    20231208_103317.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231208_103341.jpg
    20231208_103341.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20231208-210220_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231208-210220_Chrome.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 0
Sanded the wings for the Low Boom SST and papered the tail (Avery Labels with CA edges). Printed alignment blocks for mounting the wings.

Started a Boosted Bertha I received from the Black Monday Sale. Measured all parts and traced the booster fins for future reference, particularly a 24mm capable booster. 3D Printed a fin guide (and started learning OpenSCAD) optimized for the Avery-papered fins I made for the booster. Built and installed the motor mount in the booster. Removed the glassine on the booster tube along the fin mounting lines (not in the picture).

Boosted Bertha and SST Parts.jpg
<edited to add>
Pushed on and mounted 3 of the 4 fins. Waiting on them to dry so I can adjust the position of the fourth to prevent wobble when Bertha is standing up.

Last edited:
Back