What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got a supply shipment from LOC and I am so thrilled (it's kind of boring stuff. I geek out on supplies):
  • 2x 4" tubes
  • 2x 3" tubes
  • 1x 4" nosecone and a dual deploy kit from their used car lot 🤣
There is absolutely nothing wrong with this nose cone and it was 75% off. It's just dusty with minor scratches. They actually helped me prep for primer AND saved me money. Also, I love these tubes. They are much stiffer and more robust than the others I have worked with in this size format (oh, I hear the giggles) #FTW #ThanksLOC.

Now, I have to build something. Like a scratch Big Nuke or BullPup, or a Phoniex or...

:: trails off into incoherent mumbling ::

I just got a supply shipment from LOC and I am so thrilled (it's kind of boring stuff. I geek out on supplies):
  • 2x 4" tubes
  • 2x 3" tubes
  • 1x 4" nosecone and a dual deploy kit from their used car lot 🤣
There is absolutely nothing wrong with this nose cone and it was 75% off. It's just dusty with minor scratches. They actually helped me prep for primer AND saved me money. Also, I love these tubes. They are much stiffer and more robust than the others I have worked with in this size format (oh, I hear the giggles) #FTW #ThanksLOC.

Now, I have to build something. Like a scratch Big Nuke or BullPup, or a Phoniex or...

:: trails off into incoherent mumbling ::
#ThanksaLoc! :)

Got as far as I can on the Omega clone. Waiting on the nose cone from eRockets. Once in hand I'll seal it and give everything the initial primer shot. The mmt's and coupler will be the last task once the final paint coat is done (way down the road). In the mean time, I'm putting together the parts order for the 4" high power version of the Magnum Hornet (baby brother shown).

IMG_4825.JPGIMG_4827.JPG

Looked at this again, I'm gonna pull the trigger for my L2 certification bird soon. I'm happy with this one, the Magnum 3E. I've missed this hobby. I wish I'd never wasted money on any other hobby or sport and just went 100% with this. But hindsight is 20/20, this is all very doable again even to fly high power so I'm thrilled I chose rocketry. I like the challenge of a custom or scratch build too even with smaller ones, this won't need much other then to assemble it, and paint it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231106-123537_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231106-123537_Chrome.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 0
Thought "why not try a Ziploc bag vacuum tester?"

View attachment 617759

Not sure if it's been done or suggested before, but it worked very well for me. :)
Cool way! I've seen guys make different things but not personally this. I'm just getting into it, all keep it in mind. Thanks for sharing, thats what its all about. 🚀

Thanks for the great feedback! This hobby and community are awesome, right? :) :cheers:
Oh absolutely, I haven't done this is about 10 years. Its wild just to see how far it came even since then, only reason I quit was not enough of a launch area and my personal lack of knowledge. But getting back into this year has been beyond my dreams, I started in May with an Alpha III kit and now buying my L2 certification flight bird.

I can't put into words how much better I am even mentally, and physically too its helped me a little. I gotta be honest I haven't felt there was much to live for after an career ending injury in 2012. I bought quite a few then to have something to do, its therapeutic for me to even build I can't explain it.

But yes, its definitely a good community, with the exception of some social media stuff I'm extremely grateful for the forum and its members. Thats the other thing I've been flying since 1990 at 7 years old, and joined my very first club this year. Then another high power club up in NY, I'm in PA. I've only went to 4 or 5 launch days but that itself has given me more knowledge then I could have gotten anywhere else really. And its from rocketeers like yourself, so thank you.

I really mean it when I say I appreciate it, Michael B

I've been playing with Open Rocket. Thought I would try the scaling for scaling up an old Estes design. I picked the Cougar, as an Open Rocket file existed. I scaled it up to a 2.6 body tube and switched to a 29mm motor mount. The original Cougar used a PNC-80Y nose cone. First problem is the nose cone parts library is not showing any nose cones. Second problem is the only place that has a BNC-80Y nose cone is Semroc, but they want $50 for it. So, do I fork out the money for an accurate upscale, or buy a PNC80K from Estes for $4.49 or an Aerotech 5:1 Oglive for $24?

I decided to try and take care of the nose cone rattle today. Part of the bb/epoxy NC weight mass had broken away from the main part. Nothing like the present right? Just drill a hole and spray some foam insulation. Easy-Peasy. My experience with foam insulation so far is there's some open end in the project and it doesn't fill the area properly. I knew this would not be a problem with the nose cone. I drilled a 1/2 inch hole to allow the excess foam out. That was a good idea. I don't like it that it is a one use it. A quarter of the can or the whole can, a single application is all you get. The instructions said to monitor the expansion rate. Apply in layers.

I can't see in the NC. I just sprayed what I thought was enough. I took the hose out. Foam spewed out of the hole somewhere between Vesuvius and a Hawaiian volcano. A gooey mess oozed down the side of the NC. What a panic. It was such a mess. I had the wisdom to wear gloves. I took them off way too early. It just kept spewing. I threw away 3 rags and the gloves are in bad shape.

In retrospect, perhaps if I waited for it to cure in whatever whatever final form the monster takes, it might have been easier to clean up a solid than sticky foam. Live and learn. I used about 1/2 of the can. 1/4 of the can might work, if done properly.

It was pretty easy to do the final clean up of the NC. Just cut away the unwanted foam. I got everything clean up to an acceptable level, including my hands. Another fun morning of model rocketry. The (freaking) NC does not rattle.

Messed around with the video editor and got some new shots from my L1 cert flight, not the best camera but it works for me, for now. Can't wait to get an onboard camera, that will be fun too.

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20231201-211911.jpg
    VideoCapture_20231201-211911.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 0
  • VideoCapture_20231201-211855.jpg
    VideoCapture_20231201-211855.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 0
  • VideoCapture_20231201-211806.jpg
    VideoCapture_20231201-211806.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 0
I've been playing with Open Rocket. Thought I would try the scaling for scaling up an old Estes design. I picked the Cougar, as an Open Rocket file existed. I scaled it up to a 2.6 body tube and switched to a 29mm motor mount. The original Cougar used a PNC-80Y nose cone. First problem is the nose cone parts library is not showing any nose cones. Second problem is the only place that has a BNC-80Y nose cone is Semroc, but they want $50 for it. So, do I fork out the money for an accurate upscale, or buy a PNC80K from Estes for $4.49 or an Aerotech 5:1 Oglive for $24?
I don't know what any of those look like but I bought a pointed BT80 nose cone from erockets for a lot less.

Progressed the fin manufacture for the 38mm Carbon fibre body tube.

Hand bevelled the leading and trailing edges of the four balsa wood fin cores. I intend to just use 3 fins, but I always like to make an extra one for practice and I'll pick the best of the set. I used 240 grit sandpaper wrapped around a wooden clothes peg and the edge of a thick board to maintain a good angle. I find it helpful to use a black sharpie pen to colour the edges first and this give me a good visual guide on how far I've gone and when to stop on each side.

Cut out more carbon fibre cloth to laminate each side with the bio-epoxy, each one with a slight overlap all around. Applied peel ply and then some absorbent material and an out non-stick paper layer before vacuum bagging the set to cure.

Fin Bevelling.jpg Fins Carbons Cut.jpg

Bagged Fins.jpg

I had planned to use this nosecone for a custom scratch build about 10 years ago but obviously haven't yet. I'm still going to build that one someday. So I have some balsa Big Daddy fins I'm not gonna to be using. Might as well say its going to be 29mm, but nothing super wild.

Attachments

• 20231202_115625.jpg
    20231202_115625.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231202_120520.jpg
    20231202_120520.jpg
    957.2 KB · Views: 0
Worked a bit on Fliskits Decaffinator.

I've reached a point where some subassemblies need to dry before I can continue.

I did put a coat of white glue on the balsa bulkhead to make it a little more flame resistant, since it will be taking the brunt of the ejection charge.

Very simple build, no paint. I anticipate finishing it tomorrow.

20231202_151537.jpg

To celebrate the 50th anniversary of my first launch (give or take a day or three) I started building a next season project that was laser cut last summer. It's named the Timid Tortie after my stereotype defying cat, and it's like a 80% size version of my Caliby RCBGs.

I also sketched a 33-1/3 year age advanced version of Celandine retrieving by Alpha III of 50 years ago.

Any idea what onboard camera you are going to go with?
I'm not 100% sure yet, I've seen many use various things. I think a 808 Key Fob camera would be all I need for now. I just got back into the hobby this year, after not at all for 10 years. So I need to take a little time and catch up on a few things, and make some new purchases.

One thing I've been waiting for is a laser cutter and 3D printer to make my own parts. Many have been nice enough to share shrouds they made for the airframe and nosecone, or a nosecone itself made for a camera. I may not even get that "808 key fob" camera but I've seen some videos and for me it would be enough. This hobby has so many different things you can do or build yourself that can itself be a hobby, and I love that. But probably won't get super in depth and assemble my own camera system from parts and cheap ebay cameras. Like I said once I gather some info here in the next few weeks I'll buy something and try it out asap. At least then when I get the 3D printer I can make something for the inside or outside of each airframe(or inside the NC)that the camera can fit right in to make it easy to switch for flights but keep it protected.

Latest posts

Back