What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I installed the fins on the current project I cut out and filled and sanded yesterday. Tacked them in place with JB Kwik Weld. Masked and then did the fillets. Did all eight at once. I drew a fin pattern on some graph paper, cut them out and temporarily glued them to a sheet of 1/8th ply. I'm using 1/8th instead of my usual 1/4 ply because the fins are going to be big. That's for the next project. I have a lot of irons in the fire.

I got the KAM 3D rocket entered into the OR program. I had to take the dimensions and reduce them 17% so that the main airframe went from 4.8" down to a 4"
XCUJChu.jpg

Struggled with trying to modify my Level 3 M1830 RasAero file for an AeroTech K1800ST.
Finally gave up... changed the RockSim to the K1800ST, and imported it into RasAero. Gave me ~2400 Ft apogee, which is perfect for our small field.

Struggled with trying to modify my Level 3 M1830 RasAero file for an AeroTech K1800ST.
Finally gave up... changed the RockSim to the K1800ST, and imported it into RasAero. Gave me ~2400 Ft apogee, which is perfect for our small field.
RasAero is great for flights that transition into Mach and above. Your L3 flight would have been. Are you into the Mach transition region for this flight? If not, I wouldn't use it for subsonic as it doesn't really provide any additional information for that region of the flight envelope.
What altitude did RockSim or OR give?
Norm

Last edited:
OpenSCAD?
I'm in love :wos_love: and with that fin design, no fillets to sand.
I adopted (and heavily rebuilt) a pre-built Aerotech Mustang. Its plastic fins have built-in fillets like these. Since I don't know what was used to assemble the example I have, I'll probably apply tip-to-tip before I launch it on the I200 I stretched it to take. If I knew the fins had been applied with decent epoxy, I'd probably just send it.

Today I started work on a new project. Cut the fins out yesterday and sanded them today. Installed motor mount with attached shock cord and rail buttons. Might get the fins on tonight. The current project is ready for primer. Considering it's only 85*F at 10:30 pm I will be putting the primer on it a little later. I also need to put another couple of coats on a past project. I ordered some vinyl from Stickershock for it Friday. I expect it early next week. Hurricane UT is about 2 hours from here.

Back