What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got both of these into the body tubes tonight.
Filleted both the 3x24 and 4x24 today. Had a late start, so didn't have time for rail guides too. Hope to get those on tomorrow.
Also unpacked shipments from BMS, Giant Leap, and Always Ready and subsequently updated my parts inventory.
Realized today I'd forgotten to mark the tubes. Did so before I forgot which was which and had to resort to calipers and reviewing order confirmation emails, which is sadly something I've had to do more than once.

Good day at the July QRS launch today. It was a cold 4degreesC start but warmed up.

The Dart got is 19th (Pro24 6G 139G107 White Dual Thrust) and 20th (Pro24 6G 131G84 Green) HPR flights, both times to 3000 to 3200ft approximately ( the micropeak altimeter gave screwy data again). Used motor deploy both times as planned, the light winds meant only a 1.2km round trip walk to fetch it each time, and thankfully I'd reduced the chute to 61cm (24inches) for this 740gm (26oz) launch weight.

Tail-cone retainer worked fine, with minimal erosion of the shell or the JB Weld coating inside the throat. Some blistering but much better than I'd expected.

Tailcone first flight pic1.jpg Tailcone first flight pic2.jpg Tailcone first flight pic3.jpg Tailcone first flight pic4.jpg

Today, well yesterday now, I finished my current project. It's a 2.6"/BT80 BT with a 38mm mmt. It is 36" long and weighs 32 ounces with a chute and blanket. The fins are 1/4 ply. The wings are 1/4 hard balsa. The windows are vinyl tape and pin striping. The Lightning Ray on the front is a piece of sharpened dowel, then a Styrene rod and a ball of epoxy clay and a BB. The fin tip rods are Styrene rods. The rear exhausts are tubes used to make tiered cakes. Like a wedding cake. The simulated rivets are E6000 bead and jewelry glue. It's painted with Rusto 2X copper metallic. The exhausts are gold chrome. It will probably never fly on a 38mm motor. But it's easier to go down a size than up. I'm thinking a H115 DM would be a good choice. I'm calling it Flash. As in Flash Gordon. That was where I got the inspiration. I also sanded the fins for the new project. Yesterday [Friday] I coated the spirals with GoodFilla CWF and sanded it off. Installed rail buttons and cut the fin slots with a Dremel and a cut off wheel. And here is Flash, Ahhhhha Flash Ahhhhhh.20230708_143913[3041].jpg20230708_143932[3040].jpg20230708_143945[3039].jpg

Yesterday, I applied a custom decal to my LOC Magnum. Has some minor wrinkles in it, but that's been my issue with larger decals lately.... wrinkles. From as far away as about 6 feet, you don't notice them and the decal looks great.

I also epoxied the motor mount into my Wild Child.

Yesterday I made my first MPR launch using a Big Red Der Max on an Aerotech F27-4R. Rocket flew straight and true though the parachute got tangled up in the shock cord and didn't deploy. Thankfully the chute protector acted enough as a streamer that nothing was damaged.

Attachments

• First MPR.PNG
    First MPR.PNG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Yesterday I made my first MPR launch using a Big Red Der Max on an Aerotech F27-4R. Rocket flew straight and true though the parachute got tangled up in the shock cord and didn't deploy. Thankfully the chute protector acted enough as a streamer that nothing was damaged.
Almost the exact same thing happened to me with my BRM maiden flight. Glad it survived to launch again.

I printed the 29mm Goblin fin can by @DigBaddy . I have to get my act together with a tracker (and maybe a quad) because I suspect the rocket's not gonna land anywhere near the pad.

I also worked on a design mod for my RunCam2 shroud/mount. Currently, I have to use the provided cradle and mount it in the camera shroud. With this update, the camera mount and the shroud are one piece. I also designed a slide-on cover. I will post the STL when I have worked out the fiddly bits.
1688928680138.png

I printed the 29mm Goblin fin can by @DigBaddy . I have to get my act together with a tracker (and maybe a quad) because I suspect the rocket's not gonna land anywhere near the pad.

I also worked on a design mod for my RunCam2 shroud/mount. Currently, I have to use the provided cradle and mount it in the camera shroud. With this update, the camera mount and the shroud are one piece. I also designed a slide-on cover. I will post the STL when I have worked out the fiddly bits.
View attachment 591207

Mine went 4082' on a G80 and wasn't that long of a walk. Tracker made it easy though. Vanished off the pad. 😃

What altitude did you reach or expected to reach on the F27

What altitude did you reach or expected to reach on the F27
750'. My build has a Vander Burn upgrade so it's quite a bit heavier than the above simmed rocket. No altimeter yet, I was doing enough new to me (plywood kit, kevlar shock cord, nylon chute w/ nomex blanket, Aerotech motor) with this rocket I didn't want to add something else to the mix.

750'. My build has a Vander Burn upgrade so it's quite a bit heavier than the above simmed rocket. No altimeter yet, I was doing enough new to me (plywood kit, kevlar shock cord, nylon chute w/ nomex blanket, Aerotech motor) with this rocket I didn't want to add something else to the mix.
Your build sounds very similar to mine... I was the same on my first launch with a lot of "firsts." After a couple of shakedown flights, I threw an F50 at it and hit 813`, so low-mid 700s sounds about right. The BRM is a great design to learn some big-person rocketry on without too much expense. Have fun and enjoy the journey!

I ordered a snot load of motors online. Although, I'm wondering how much cheaper it is than local retail once shipping and handling are added in.

What was the full up flight ready weight of your build?

Intact after that?! Did you make it out of steel?
I'm just as surprised as you are. Not steel, but it is Wildman fiberglass. Came in from around 4000-4500 ft, nothing but scratches. I've never dug out an intact rocket from Lucerne. The worst of the damage is the scratches from accidently hitting it with the shovel. The paint job is pretty ruined though. Wasn't fun to dig out either. It's freakin hot out there! Especially right after lunchtime! And it's not easy to dig with a crappy little folding shovel and a screwdriver. Did I mention that it's hot?
1688949957240-png.591239
1688949994657.png

Attachments

• 1688949957240.png
    1688949957240.png
    748.7 KB · Views: 123
To everyone planning on attending the fun fly in Argonia this coming Sunday, the 16th, it has been cancelled because of too much rain in the fields. The next fun fly will be Sunday the 6th of August.

Applied the orange paint to the Semroc Hawk Boost Glider yesterday and masked it off today in preparation for applying the black tomorrow.

1688958867270.jpeg

Started on another rocket last night and worked on it throughout the day today. It's the Mach 1 Rocketry Patriot BT 50. This is my first fiberglass build and I'm doing it without purchasing the plans/manual. I did watch the Dave Thomas video build of the Patriot before I started. I am doing a couple of things a bit different. Instead of wrapping the shock cord around the motor mount, I put a knot in it then just epoxied it straight down the motor mount. I also decided to go with an 18mm motor retainer instead of using the normal engine hook. The motor mount is installed and cured, and I got the fins and launch lug epoxied in and am allowing them to cure overnight before priming tomorrow.

1688959280429.jpeg

Comment. I saw a rocket go all the way underground at the Jean dry lake. Took what seemed like hours for them to dig it out.
I use plastic wrap to mask now. Saw it here first.

Today I attached the fins and wings to the current project. Put fillets on the wings. Used about 30g of epoxy. Now a question. Anybody else having trouble getting JB Weld Kwik-Weld. It's unabtainium here. Same thing with Clorox 2. But that's a different story.
And thank you to all of you who liked my last rocket.

Back