What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favorite rocket season is winter. Bigger fields (lakes), recovery with snowmobile, soft landings.
First flight of the Majestic. I mistakenly aimed the launch rod with the wind and lost sight of the rocket, but finally spotted just before landing over 2000ft away. After correcting the rod, the Arreaux finally got its first flight. I tested a Marco Polo tracker in the payload bay. ARMY4 took some decent images with a Runcam2. ARMY2.6 flew with a 24mm CTI 6 grain motor.

Estes Majestic, Aerotech G74-9

rf1.jpg
rf2.png

Aerotech Arreaux CTI G80-9SK

rf3.png
arr4.png

"ARMY4" CTI G118-8 Blue Streak

IMG_1543.jpg

ARMY4-2.png

ARMY4-3.png

ARMY2.6 CTI G84-10 Green3

IMG_1541-B.png

army26-1.png

army26-4.png

My favorite rocket season is winter. Bigger fields (lakes), recovery with snowmobile, soft landings.
First flight of the Majestic. I mistakenly aimed the launch rod with the wind and lost sight of the rocket, but finally spotted just before landing over 2000ft away. After correcting the rod, the Arreaux finally got its first flight. I tested a Marco Polo tracker in the payload bay. ARMY4 took some decent images with a Runcam2. ARMY2.6 flew with a 24mm CTI 6 grain motor.

Estes Majestic, Aerotech G74-9

View attachment 502506
View attachment 502507

Aerotech Arreaux CTI G80-9SK

View attachment 502508
View attachment 502512

"ARMY4" CTI G118-8 Blue Streak

View attachment 502514

View attachment 502516

View attachment 502517

ARMY2.6 CTI G84-10 Green3

View attachment 502518

View attachment 502519

View attachment 502520
Launches look so cool against the snow, especially a skidmark.

Jim

Pulled the overlaying parchment paper from my first attempts at installing brass shear plates in the payload tube and nose cone shoulder (3” LOC tubing and GLR Pinnacle nose cone).

IMG_0883.jpg
IMG_0886.jpg
I now have a question…I’ve tapped the body tube / shear plate for 2-56 threads, but what should I do with the plate inset in the nose cone shoulder (currently it is drilled using the No. 50 bit sized for the 2-56 tap). The set also included a No. clearance drill bit, should I use that bit for the nose cone / shear plate?
IMG_0887.jpg

Thread the airframe body, clearance the hole in the NC. The screw threads into the airframe and is sheared by the NC, the screw head can be removed easily afterwards and the pin will shear better since the head is snug against the airframe.

Pulled the overlaying parchment paper from my first attempts at installing brass shear plates in the payload tube and nose cone shoulder (3” LOC tubing and GLR Pinnacle nose cone).

View attachment 502533
View attachment 502534
I now have a question…I’ve tapped the body tube / shear plate for 2-56 threads, but what should I do with the plate inset in the nose cone shoulder (currently it is drilled using the No. 50 bit sized for the 2-56 tap). The set also included a No. clearance drill bit, should I use that bit for the nose cone / shear plate?
View attachment 502535

I don’t bother to tap either piece anymore. But since you’ve tapped the outside, just drill the inner holes so the shear pin is just a little snug. That way, you can push them out instead of trying to unscrew a headless screw.
A cheap set of number drills gives you lots of size range.
Edit: I see Rich typed faster than me 😁

Last edited:
Received my parts from eRockets to build my Astron Starlight (K-32) Clone. I ordered the fin set, nose cone, and the two RT-70 tubes used as outer rings. I'll start working on it after I find my tube stash.

Big Bertha build. Started sanding the carpenter's wood putty (CWP) off the fins. Slow progress, lots going on right now.

Attachments

• processed-6e990748-665a-4967-8919-6ce5d7935f4d_b6d29a85-b09b-4602-9d9e-5f68bf308fc7.jpeg
    processed-6e990748-665a-4967-8919-6ce5d7935f4d_b6d29a85-b09b-4602-9d9e-5f68bf308fc7.jpeg
    208.5 KB · Views: 4
Continued work on my Starlight K-32 clone. Got the tube cut and marked, engine mount built, and sealed and sanded the fins. Started on attaching the fins to the tube. Also, I sealed and sanded the balsa nose cone.

I bought some mid-sized rockets earlier in the week that need a little work -- no chutes, couple of fins need replacing, couple need shock chords, fillets could use some sanding / epoxy filling -- but all seem like they could be fixed up nicely. Not sure I will keep all of these but seemed like a good opportunity to learn something about mid-sized construction techniques (also maybe to get a nice large display rocket -- Strongarm and/or V-2?).

2.6" x 43.5" Strongarm (Aerotech) - fin needs repaired.
3.1" x 40.5" SAAB RB 05a (Pretty sure it is a Blackhawk R&D but nosecone says "RWW" which comes up Madcow) - fin needs replacing.
4" x 34" Big Brute (NCR) - need fillets cleaned up (sanded, re-filled).
4" x 34" V-2 (LOC?) - wants a new paint-job (I am partial to the yellow and black check).
3.1" x 25.5" ??? (???) - Fillets need a bit of reinforcing / filling.

1643835192015.jpeg
1643835702651.jpeg 1643835715346.jpeg 1643835738822.jpeg

Last edited:
Watched the last seminar of anty interest I may have had from vNARCON. The only one I didn't watch was how to establish an NAR chapter and why would you want to. If I have the need, I will contact them directly. All the seminars that I watched had something of interest even if it's something that I don't do, like 3d printing. I was disappointed Ronz Rockets didn't present on video and production; he does such a good job. The manufacturer's forum did glitch big time. With some heroic efforts they did eventually pull it off. It ended about 11:15 EST. One of the presenters said it was past his bedtime. If you paid your $25, you can log in and replay it, or any of the other presentations. I don't know how long that will last.

My favorite presentation was John Langford talking about Estes. He is as enthusiastic as any rocketeer l know. I think the company is in good hands. He said that some of the past owners considered rockets as toys and marketed them that way. He made it clear that Estes is now making rockets for rocketeers. He confirmed most of the rumors that have popped up here. Yes, they bought Goex. Now they have plenty of BP to build motors. They certified an HP motor through their sister company Estes Energetics. Much of the staff is shared by both companies. It is even possible that they might bring back the B-14. Oh happy day.

Despite the glitches, it was a 25 rocket dollar great deal.

I'm glad I looked at the new level 2 study guide as I had been using the old study guide and didn't realize that they had changed 18 questions out of the 108. I had to go back and hi-light all the correct answers of the 18 questions, now I'll have to start memorizing them, but I should have plenty of time. cold weather has finally arrived here.
Where is the New guide? I think the one I've been studying is old too

Back