What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my Arch Blast from DG&A today. This is the first rocket I’ve purchased from them. So upon opening it I see the airframe doesn’t have through the wall fins. I have to cut out slots myself. I started my first slot and it doesn’t look pretty.
I have my doubts but we will see how it looks when I’m finished.
I knew I should have bought a Loc or madcow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 8
"Deconstructed" a pair of jeans to test denim fireproofing. I don't have a seam ripper so I used an Xacto knife. I stopped while I still have fingers. Later, off to HL for a *real* seam ripper and some waterglass.

Sanded down some lumps of epoxy left over from my lame first attempt at a fillet (the other 2 fins turned out fine, thankfully) and received the 2nd edition of Experimental Composite Propellant - I have no plans to make my own propellant, but I do want to understand what goes into it and some of the science behind it.

IMG_9833.JPG

Remembered to glue the launch lug on my Estes Vapor that has been sitting in the corner for a year or so. Also attached the shock cord. Might actually paint it but somehow I doubt it. Plan is to use a few old AT SU motor I have. E15-7W and E30-7T. If find it after those and they don't CATO, I'll try a few AT reloads and give it some color.

Attended the Queensland Rocketry Society (QRS) launch day in Cedar Grove, QLD. First one in 2 months and first one under the governance of Tripoli I think.

Got my 38mm min diameter F/Glass scratch build off the HPR pad successfully a total of three times on 3 different CTI Pro24 6G 'G' motors, all topping out at between 2670ft and 2850ft. All recovered successfully. 😁

Ended up doing the fillets on all the fins today instead of just the lower set on the 9M. Will be cutting and prepping the conduits and interfaces tomorrow. Another coat of primer on the fun rock fins.

Received a fan to put in my flight computer:
Fan.jpg

Added a connector to the flight computer to allow plugging of analog inputs from power sensing module. This will give the FC visibility on what the telemetry battery is doing, which it doesn't have at the moment. Started routing two extra wires from the top deck of the Vertical Trajectory System down to the basement where the batteries are.

Modified a RC battery current monitor down from 80A full scale indication back to 6A by changing the shunt resistors. This will report the telemetry current back to the FC. I will also add a resistive divider to report on battery voltage to the relevant analog input as well.

Now I have the actual fan and some decent measurements I can finally adjust the fan mounts I designed and sketched up. Will print them tomorrow.

I have been derelict in keeping up. So here is what I've been doing. Today I sanded the Krylon 2 in 1 primer off one of the rockets I've been working on. The Krylon is better than the Rusto. Very little dust and didn't clog the sandpaper. Color tomorrow. Today I also cut out and sanded the fins for the other rocket I'm working on. Earlier in the week I finished the missile. It is a 3" LOC BT with a 54mm x 15" mmt. The fins are 1/4" 5 ply from BMS. It's 68 " long and weighs 70 ounces with the chutes. It is dual deploy. Before that rocket was done I finished the Sci-Fi rocket. It is a 3" BT from BMS and has a 38mm x 15" mmt. The fins are 1/4" 5 ply also from BMS. The fins are lower that the BT so I reinforced the tips with more 1/4" ply so they are 3/4" thick at the tips. It's 56" long and weighs 50 ounces with a chute. It is single deploy. I made a short avbay for it to hold an Eggtimer apogee. It sits inside the rocket and is attached to the nose cone by a quick link. It will be ejected when the charge fires. There are vents in it and the BT. I'll use a JLCR with it. I am hoping that I can move that avbay from one rocket to another. If it works I'll make a 2.6" bay for the other rockets I want to use it in. Has anyone tried to do this or see problems with the set up? This coming Saturday, the 18th is our monthly launch. We haven't had one since May. It's just to hot to fly in the summer. But this Saturday I'm going to fly The Whistle Pod rocket. I sure hope it works. I'm taking a neighbor with me who has been dabbling with sugar motors. It will be the first organized launch he has been to. Going to hook another one. I also talked to my former employer and he is coming along also. Should be an interesting day. That is if the wind cooperates. So here are the pictures.20210910_170221[1132].jpg20210910_170231[1133].jpg20210910_170320[1140].jpg20210910_170454[1139].jpg20210910_170518[1141].jpg20210911_174305[1143].jpg20210911_174313[1144].jpg20210911_174326[1145].jpg20210911_174343[1146].jpg20210911_180751[1147].jpg

Back