What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Added 10 support brackets and 45 screws, washers, lock washers and nuts to the Mega Wildman. Seems like I still have a million things to do..

Made Decals for the Crossfire that I rebuilt.
I figured that Zombie was a fitting name since it was essentially "Back from the dead".

ZOMBIE ISX 2015-04-27 001.jpgZOMBIE ISX 2015-04-27 002.jpgZOMBIE ISX 2015-04-27 003.jpg

Attached mini rail buttons to my son's Estes Patriot and my two mid power rockets. Can't wait to use the new mini rail at QCRS, Mini Midwest...

1430177098661.jpg

Bought a box of 12 Estes Vikings for $35.00 ot Hobby Lobby. Gotta love those 40% off coupons.:D
001949_main_2_2.png

Stock image, not mine.
Put one together stock since I've never had a 5-finned rocket. May put a couple more together with the alternate fine layouts. Planning on using the rest to clone a couple of other rockets.

Last edited:
I was busy as a bee painting my Estes Renegade wing pod tips silver and my US Rockets 2.5" V-2 in Blossom White, all the while listening to classical music.
[video=youtube;aYAJopwEYv8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYAJopwEYv8[/video]

Sand, bondo, primer, repeat.....

And finally....
First coat.

Some paint 24mmMD TRI 2015-04-28 005.jpg

Also got primer on the Eggspress airframe.:)

eGGSPRESS primer 2015-04-28 001.jpg

Last edited:
Seeing as how Top Ramen has a newer computer than me :lol:, I did some work on my new computer project (installed the motherboard, the power supply, hooked up the connections to the mobo, dressed out the wiring, and installed the optical drive and SSD). Tomorrow I will seat the processor chip, add the CPU cooler, memory, and graphics cards.

I also mowed my lawns front and back as a training exercise for the TCC launch field in Helm where the Dairy Aire launch will be held in about three weeks.

Sanded the Madcow Frenzy fin can to smooth out the structural fin fillets. Drilled out holes for injecting internal fillets as I had added centering rings top and bottom for each set of fins before inserting the motor mount into the booster section. The old trick of removing the rear centering ring doesn't work when you've got duplex fins. Once the internals are done, I can finish the external fillets.

Went to the weekly TORC build night at eRockets last night. After a short meeting to discuss this weekends TORC regional competition, went across the street to the park and put 4 birds in the air, Paveway, ThunderGoon, Mini Omega, and Space Cadet (sorry, no pictures, camera and I are not getting along :(). Before I finished, was joined by others so we got about 10 in the air altogether.

Prepped the workbench and visited the local hardware & hobby stores to stock up on a few supplies to prep for a marathon building session this weekend. Hope to finish several in-process projects and perhaps begin some new builds.

A little low-power build, the Cosmic Explorer. I like that Estes is using through the wall and some slightly higher grade body tube on these. I picked up a few of them. This one has a basswood bulkhead and eyescrew turning the second tube into a payload bay. I think I'll build the second one this way as well, but use a 24mm mount to give it a bit more than the 500-550 ft C6-3 flight.
The minions helped... a little.
CIMG4106.jpg

Just remembered that I have to finish painting a few birds today. Should be a good day for it!:)

DRT PAINT 2015-05-02 002.jpg

Centuri Progress 2015-05-02 001.jpgCenturi Progress 2015-05-02 002.jpg

Last edited:
Had the cool opportunity to work with Astronaut Mike Massimino and scores of engineering students from Columbia University as our group, Radical Rocketeers, hosted them for a special event today. The student teams led by Mike came out to fly their rocketry based engineering projects at our field. It was a great success and lots of fun too!

Jim Z

Had the cool opportunity to work with Astronaut Mike Massimino and scores of engineering students from Columbia University as our group, Radical Rocketeers, hosted them for a special event today. The student teams led by Mike came out to fly their rocketry based engineering projects at our field. It was a great success and lots of fun too!

Jim Z

Was Howard "Fruit Loops" Wolowitz there, too? LOL!

Launched my first 7 rockets of 2015, including the Estes Firestorm on a D12/B6 combination. The Firestorm launch was the best two stage flight I've flown; I highly recommend picking one up. Also flew my Eliminator,on an E9, which landed in a creek. Rescued it with a fishing pole with a large hook. The paper parts are shot, but the nosecone and fin can are ready to be turned into something new. Great day, overall.

Worked on some LPR builds today; Estes-Goblin, Estes-Quark, Estes-Phoenix Bird, FlisKit-Tartar and Thobin's Reactor.

Will either prep for painting tomorrow...or if the wind cooperates...may get some birds in the air tomorrow. First chance this year to get out there.

By the way, if you get a chance to get the Reactor (Thobin...a member on here designed it and put the kit together)...it's a very fun build. :clap:

Took delivery of a couple of boxes from Rocketry Warehouse, and helped Leah wash the contents.

Ari.

IMG_3982.jpg

IMG_3985.jpg

Played with my Goblin 5.5 and verified stability when loaded up with the L2 motor, a CTI J316 Pink. It appears all systems are go. Hopefully I have a successful flight at the upcoming TCC Dairy Aire.

Note to self: Bring my LOC Precision "2010 October Skies Commemorative" rocket as one of the kits will be auctioned off at Dairy Aire.

Wrapped a dollar store foam glider in aluminum foil tape. I'm going to make it into a rocket boosted glider.:)
I bought more that one so that I can do it til' I get it right. The next one will get fiberglass and avionics.

Sky Bandit RBG 2015-05-02 001.jpg

Wrapped a dollar store foam glider in aluminum foil tape. I'm going to make it into a rocket boosted glider.:)
I bought more that one so that I can do it til' I get it right. The next one will get fiberglass and avionics.

View attachment 262342

I saw those yesterday, and thought the same thing... Problem is, I've also seen the youtube videos on those "science" TV programs that show people doing the same thing, and how rarely they work.

Flew my first 3 rockets of the year this morning with friends and kids. I love the smell of rocket motors in the morning. :)

Finally finished my Secret Santa gifts from the last 2 years. Been a long time procrastinating on the Fliskits Decim8 and somewhat less on the Red River HV308. Plan on flying both at ROCI's CIRFF next Saturday and Sunday at the AMA in Muncie.

100_3008a.jpg

Attachments

• 100_3007a.jpg
    100_3007a.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 11
Finally finished my Secret Santa gifts from the last 2 years. Been a long time procrastinating on the Fliskits Decim8 and somewhat less on the Red River HV308. Plan on flying both at ROCI's CIRFF next Saturday and Sunday at the AMA in Muncie.

....uuummmm...yah....I've been looking at my Decim8 for more than two years....there's a few tools I feel I lack and want before I start this one and there an ASP 24-18 WAC Corporal before the Decim8...and 90bazillion scratch ones before that...yah, I'm not too eager but yet I've been planning the build since before I got the kit from Secret Santa. Chan Steven's showed us how to build one. I want to do mine more...organic, more fluid and flowing so a ton of sanding and molding will be involved. I'll be using a D13 AT reload...it's gonna be heavy...

Weather was great so launched a Der Mini Max on a 1/2A3-4T, a BMS school rocket on an A8-3 and an Estes Phoenix Bird on a B6-4 ... all 3 recovered without issue.

Latest posts

Back