What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh boy, you’ve got all the good ones there. Make sure to get some good footage of the Boom and the Celestial Jet.

MDRA?

Yes, that's the plan, MDRA on Saturday. I've also got Fandango ready to go, but that one will wait until MDRA is back at Higgs Farm (better recovery area).

Ordered an Iwata M2 single action airbrush, will relegate the Paasch H to other duties. Made an early New Years resolution to spend a lot more time practicing with them.

His picture will go in the porthole. I'm figuring to print it on white decal paper and put the decal on clear plastic so the light will show through. Unless someone has a better way to print a picture onto translucent media...
Well, here's another idea, but I don't know if it's better. You could print the picture on clear decal paper and mount it on translucent white plastic.

Here's one example, and I'm sure you can find other options.

I'm figuring to print it on white decal paper and put the decal on clear plastic so the light will show through. Unless someone has a better way to print a picture onto translucent media...
I think you've already got the best solution. You'll have to test the white decal paper to see how much light shines through, but I would guess it will work well.

Got a box of Estes body tubes from jonrocket today.
cleaned up the work bench, house somewhat.
Did some craft supply shopping.
sanded down the laquer spiral /bt sealer on the Cherokee E.
Put aside for now.
Planning on cutting basswood fins for it, to go through the wall, and use foil lined Motor mount tube 6” long for CTI 3gr
case. Add baffle mounted eye screw for the SC.

Pulled the starlight 38 booster out of the vacuum bag this morning. As I suspected the way the excess breather folded made some undesirable lines. Was a few spots that made me cringe. What I do know is that it is all cosmetic and will be highly functional and I have no doubt that it will meet my engineering goals of keeping the surface mount fins on at potentially mach1.6. Mixed up some more epoxy and resealed the edges after trimming and wet out the two spots that were fuzzy still. Rebagged it until now. Spots are good and honestly everything should sand out to be smooth. Getting painted anyways so hard work is done now I think. EB49C6EF-626D-411B-AC15-1D095EBA2910.jpeg

ordered a 38mm endburning closure, plugged threaded closure, a 24” rocketman ultra iris for it, hit up egg timer for 3 more quantum’s, and an additive FARG to complete all the things I needed for this high performance sweet rocket

Got word from Bob H. with TRA/PHX that the launch next weekend is a go. Looks like the BLM has withdrawn the fire restrictions.
So this morning Sharon and I planned out the rockets/motors that we wanted to fly at our first research launch this season. I decided to find out how high my Wildman 4" punisher would go on a 75/6000 Not your wimpy red load. Which triggered another thought, didn't I order some Stickershock stuff for that rocket? Checked tracking on it and USPS delivered it last night, so got up and went out on the front patio to pick up my "Slick Willy" decal. Pulled the punisher down and cleaned it off, now I need to prep it for the decal and a fresh coat of epoxy paint.
Next, I went to meet Mark C. to pick up 100 pounds of 200 AP he brought back from Texas for me. Hadn't seen him for a while, so we spent some time catching up, then it was back home to check out our latest batch of 200 AP.
We recently bought a microscope to get a better look at grain size on our AP, and this stuff looks pretty good:

pats 2020 200AP.jpg
The first grain on the left of the scale is about 150 micron and the one to it's right is just over 200. Some slightly bigger and smaller stuff, but it's all rotary round, which makes for a more pourable mix. Really happy to see this since the price on AP has recently jumped up quite a bit. 100 lbs. should get us through another season of flying and them some....

Got my Madcow 54mm Viper from their pre-BF sale. Now I just need to decide if I want to build it "conventional" or HED.

I added the decals on my Darkstar Jr. I even taped a reference line and the name grabbed at a slight angle and I wasn't able to fix it without messing up the letters. It will stay for now, I may order a replacement if I really starts to bug me.

DSJR10.jpg

I also printed CP and CG labels. The CP is for single deploy, but I made one for DD as well. CG was placed 1 diameter forward of the CP to represent the minimum CG. Better planning before I drilled holes for the rail buttons would have allowed me to use one of them as a marker. Hopefully that it approved, I'll still be able to show where the CG is on the motor I will be flying.
DSJR11.jpg

Love to know how you did this! I just got my 1010 and jaw stand. Hemhawin' how I should put it together.
I use 1/4"x3" bolts heads are just too big for the "T" slot but less than 30sec of sanding on opposite side of the head and they slide.~18" piece of 2x2 with 9/32" holes drilled roughy 1/3 of the way from top and bottom. Slide bolts in rail. Bolts through holes. Tighten down with wing nuts. Meaurements are very approximate. Jawstand holds onto the wood and the bolts sliding allows you to move them up and down for in use and transport.16053168778022860462721477021046.jpg

Good evening. I flew with the Michiana Rocketry club at Three Oaks MI. I flew an older Binder Design Sentinel on a Aerotech I245G to 1390'. Good flight and recovery. Also flew a LOC Wolverine on a Aerotech I215R to 1320'. same results. It was cold...temp about40. Greg Olson

Completed my 2nd EggFinder kit (and 6th EggTimer product overall). Btw, I added an OpenLog card to this project. Looking forward to having the ability to log my flight data!

EggFinder w.OpenLog-Small.jpg

Building EggTimer stuff has really sharpened my very rusty soldering skills. So, thanks Cris!

Edit: forgot to mention that I still need to order some neutral cure "sensor safe" silicone. Will use it to anchor the patch antenna of the GPS modules on both of my EggFinders.

Last edited:
Ordered some 3inch nosecones and some other small stuff from NZ Aerospace Education - great speedy comms and reasonable shipping from NZ! :)
Checked out the Madcow site to see if some stuff is back in stock to complete an order - it wasn't. :(
Was inspired to design a 3inch V2 in Openrocket as a possible next home build project. 🤔
Checked the Oz Rocket Forum for any possible launch date this month by our club - there isn't. :(

Back