What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The atria sit above the ventricles. SVT is (or at least can be) paroxysmal in nature. So is it just me or do SVT and PAT sound like the same thing?

Not quite. Tachycardia is rapid and coordinated contraction of the fibres. Fibrillation is an uncoordinated contraction of the fibres, the classic 'bag of worms'. Fibrillation won't produce an effective pumping action.

Cardiac arrhythmia and blues. That is to say, cardiac arrhythmia and the cardiac blues.

♫ I got the COVID pneumonia, cardiac rhythm and blues. ♪
♪ ♪ I caught the lock-down depression, sittin' here watchin' the news. ♫
Roll over Beethoven, I got to pick a disaster to choose. ♫
👍
thanks can’t wait for it to be finished
Yup just picked up the Estes doorknob kit seems like nice quality with a nylon chute and retainer included
Its nice to see them with bigger scale rockets now and they are supposed to bring back some Retro Kits. I recently picked up a Launchpad rocket kit "Gabriell III" ( military Israel Missle ) from Performance Hobbies.. The company went out of business recently. He had a few left in stock.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 16
Just got in my Estes range box that appears to be complete and totally new never used
Thanks to some people on this forum I now no this kit appears To be from the late 80s early 90s. Alittle piece of Estes history in my opinion lol
58183216-A269-4306-8E3C-D46AEE1B7F0F.jpeg

Finally got to the point (and enough courage) to apply the body wraps to my 1/3 Scale CSXT GoFast! rocket. First I watched Mark Hayes’ excellent how-to video which had a lot of really good tips:
The tricky part was getting the decal trimmed properly and doing the initial alignment. The actual application went pretty smoothly (pun intended :)) !
892ABDA0-1430-42A0-940C-8C34710544AD.jpeg

Last edited:
Made a new 400 grit sanding stick.
View attachment 430649
I don't think the black sandpaper is the best choice for this, but it's all I have on-hand at the moment.
You might want to consider using sanding cylinders or tubes (don’t know the exact name but they are used on spindle sanding tools) and insert an appropriate sized dowel in the tube to save wear and tear on your skin. Buy mine at the local Rockwell or Woodcraft store. They are sold in bags of varying numbers based on size.

No gluing needed.

Obviously the dowel really isn’t necessary but it’s what I generally do.

In other news, I received my order from Dino Chutes: A Flightsketch mini pouch and several streamers.

The pouch is excellent. The streamers were well made also but red color was quite dark...not as bright as I had hoped and I actually would have preferred pink or orange

All in all, Pat at Dino Chutes does nice work and I recommend him..

Just got in my Estes range box that appears to be complete and totally new never used
Thanks to some people on this forum I now no this kit appears To be from the late 80s early 90s. Alittle piece of Estes history in my opinion lol
View attachment 430647
Nice to have and keep. Estes may be bringing these back along with some Retro Kits from years ago. I would like to see and up scale Iris or an Aerobee series.

Attachments

• Iris.jpg
    Iris.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Aerobee.jpg
    Aerobee.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 3
Ordered some kits from ASP. WAC Corp with Tiny Tim, Super Loki Dart, Black Brant VB and a 3 pack of 13mm kits (Sandhawk, D-Region and IQSY Tomahawks)
Great. They have some nice Kits. Your going to like building the WAC / Booster kit. I recently got the 18mm WAC Corp with Tiny Tim booster kit. A nice rocket to build. I'll have to upload a photo of it finished.

Last edited:
They are called bobbin sanders.
I'd never heard that one, so I Googled it. "Spindle sander" and "Bobbin sander" turn up about the same results, many the exact same products. Apparently, the terms are interchangeable, like jigsaw and saber saw. (I was raised to say saber saw, and a jigsaw was something else entirely.)

I went to my first ever club launch this morning. Everyone was very welcoming, and it didn't take long to get the hang of the launch procedures and card filling. Thank you to the SEVRA club for hosting! The winds were stronger than I would have liked, so I only had four launches:

1. Estes M104 Patriot - C6-3
2. Estes Nike X - C6-3
3. Estes Black Brant II - D12-5 (First and last flight! Parachute was too large and the winds took it into the thick woods, never to be seen again 😭 Pretty bummed about this one since it was a work-of-art. Was considering only one flight before retirement, just to say it flew, but alas I'll never get it back)
4. Estes Big Daddy - E20-4W - Second flight, second skywriting. Figuring this rocket out still, clearly something is off with CG-CP relationship. Needs noseweight maybe?

AI38 stuffer tube is in. The nearly clear airframe makes it really easy to see the spread of this super thin layer of Proline.
B2A71205-C42D-4030-AD82-0ADA430E25E4.jpeg

Sorry about that Black Brant, but good job getting to a club launch. I guess you didn't want to risk the Doorknob in the wind? :)

Yeah, pretty disappointed about losing it. What's even worse is that hindsight is 2020: on the drive home, I thought of all things I could have done differently to avoid that outcome. Smaller parachute, using a C11 for first flight instead of D12, just not flying it today, etc. But I got case of launch-fever and got impatient, and am now paying for it. Oh well. I'll build another just as good, if not better.

And yes, I got spooked after losing the BB2, so no launches with the Doorknob nor my Executioner 😏

Yeah, pretty disappointed about losing it. What's even worse is that hindsight is 2020: on the drive home, I thought of all things I could have done differently to avoid that outcome. Smaller parachute, using a C11 for first flight instead of D12, just not flying it today, etc. But I got case of launch-fever and got impatient, and am now paying for it.
For me, every launch is basically a continuous battle with go-fever. I don't get to many launches, so I really want to make the most of each day.

Starting with smaller motors, *especially* if the conditions are iffy, and *double especially* if it's a valuable model... nothing sears that lesson into the brain like watching your rocket drift off the flying field. :(

Look forward to seeing BB2#2. :)

Yeah, pretty disappointed about losing it. What's even worse is that hindsight is 2020: on the drive home, I thought of all things I could have done differently to avoid that outcome. Smaller parachute, using a C11 for first flight instead of D12, just not flying it today, etc. But I got case of launch-fever and got impatient, and am now paying for it. Oh well. I'll build another just as good, if not better.

And yes, I got spooked after losing the BB2, so no launches with the Doorknob nor my Executioner 😏
Sorry about Black Brant. What motor was used? It's a crummy feeling when you lose a rocket. When I started in Mid power,my first rocket,an NCR Aerobee Hi 29mm, 43 inch long tube with 2.60 diameter with a F20 Vulcan motor. We figured about 400 feet. No way...It went into the clouds and we never saw it come down.

Attachments

• 22AerobeeHI-Sky-sm.jpg
    22AerobeeHI-Sky-sm.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 2
For me, every launch is basically a continuous battle with go-fever. I don't get to many launches, so I really want to make the most of each day.

Starting with smaller motors, *especially* if the conditions are iffy, and *double especially* if it's a valuable model... nothing sears that lesson into the brain like watching your rocket drift off the flying field. :(

Look forward to seeing BB2#2. :)

Yes, that was part of it, thinking "I drove over an hour to get here, for a larger launch site than I usually have access to, got to make the most of it". Ironically, I had just been gifted a C11 from someone who didn't need/want it, and it seems like it was a subtle hint from the rocket gods! "Use this, don't use the D12!". I didn't listen 🤦‍♂️

When they came back into production right after I became a BAR, I picked up two due to the nostalgia from my old rocket days when the BB2 was my biggest/favorite rocket. So I already have another kit, but I'm not going to build it immediately. Going to let the sting subside a bit, then I'll get the motivation. 🙂

Yeah, sorry to hear as well, but glad you'll build another one.

Thanks! The next one will be just as good!

Sorry about Black Brant. What motor was used? It's a crummy feeling when you lose a rocket. When I started in Mid power,my first rocket,an NCR Aerobee Hi 29mm, 43 inch long tube with 2.60 diameter with a F20 Vulcan motor. We figured about 400 feet. It went into the clouds and we never saw it come down.

I used a D12-5. That's the only motor I used in my childhood Black Brant, I just don't remember it going so high! But this one had the scale double-tapered fins, whereas my old one didn't even have rounded leading edges. Coupled with the heavier weight from the fiberglassed fins, and it must have carried more momentum into the coast phase. Just a little bit lower apogee would probably have had it recover in-field.

Yes, that was part of it, thinking "I drove over an hour to get here, for a larger launch site than I usually have access to, got to make the most of it". Ironically, I had just been gifted a C11 from someone who didn't need/want it, and it seems like it was a subtle hint from the rocket gods! "Use this, don't use the D12!". I didn't listen 🤦‍♂️

When they came back into production right after I became a BAR, I picked up two due to the nostalgia from my old rocket days when the BB2 was my biggest/favorite rocket. So I already have another kit, but I'm not going to build it immediately. Going to let the sting subside a bit, then I'll get the motivation. 🙂

Thanks! The next one will be just as good!

I used a D12-5. That's the only motor I used in my childhood Black Brant, I just don't remember it going so high! But this one had the scale double-tapered fins, whereas my old one didn't even have rounded leading edges. Coupled with the heavier weight from the fiberglassed fins, and it must have carried more momentum into the coast phase. Just a little bit lower apogee would probably have had it recover in-field.
Your right..It does make a difference in fin tapering. A lot less drag on the rocket making less friction. I have two older BB's like you have and using D motors they did not go as high as I expected. Round fins that are tapered on some rocket kits are even more effective for achieving more altitude.

Back