What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone no what decade any of these Estes range boxes are from appears not much info on the paperwork black and white box has a patriot in it and the others have alphas inside ??
The first one is from the late 1980’s / early 1990’s.

I know this because it’s the one I bought when my daughter was three years old.

The first one is from the late 1980’s / early 1990’s.

I know this because it’s the one I bought when my daughter was three years old.
Thanks for the info
Can’t find anything online about these lol
Do you remember the one you bought it came with an alpha right ?

Thanks for the info
Can’t find anything online about these lol
Do you remember the one you bought it came with an alpha right ?
Pretty sure it did.

That would account for the Alpha in rocket collection.

I did buy an Alpha much later with the hardest / heaviest balsa nosecone I’d ever seen. Not one to let a gift like that go to waste, I built it with a 24mm motor tube and dubbed it the “Super Alpha”. It was quite a flyer.

Believe it’s still in my rocket listing on Thrustcurve.org .

I was on eBay today and found the LDRS # 30 DVD for sale, wish I could find someone wanting to get rid of of a big collection of high power rocket videos

Looked like a nice drag separation between stages, and the ignition looked nicely timed as well. Did you use a Quantum for staging? If so could you share the settings over in your build thread.

Yes, nice drag separation, those there was a tiny backup charge.

I used an Eggtimer Proton for staging. I can put the settings over the in build thread. There are also 2 Eggfinder Minis on board, one per stage. Didn't need them -this time.

Sanded on a fiberglass body tube i am building. Done a motor test of a new KNSB ratio with RIO done better than expected!

After probably 30 minutes of dry fit testing, and practising alignment, I mixed up some rocketpoxy and glued in the top motor mount ring/floor for my scratch-built Smurf rocket.

I slid on the lower ring to make sure the alignment was correct but will be removing it to add a bottom fillet to the top one. I had to practice removing it just to make sure I could.

This step is probably the more critical one of the whole project. Because the height and rotation angle of the upper mmt ring have to be perfect for it to act as a floor and also allow the fin release mechanism to work.

Most of the parts are done now and I’m finding that gluing them together isn’t to be taken lightly.

I’ll have pics in the build thread later.

Worked a bit more on my BT50C Altimeter Bay for an Eggtimer Quark, 180mah 2s LiPo, and a Missleworks Screw Switch. So far its taken 4 iterations go get this far but its looking really good, now I just have to make a few more changes, like the altimeter will be permanently wired into the bay and the screws at each end will function as connector posts for the ematches. Battery leads will be unchanged unless I can shorten them a bunch, and the switch will be wired direct to the board and a JST connector to allow the battery to be removed. Sled it printed from Overture natural PETG, and due to layer direction and good layer to layer adhesion is extremely strong in tension (I cant break it by pulling on the ends) and the side walls along the altimeter sides are not more than .045" thick tapering top and bottom to zero thickness. By building a Quark just for this sled I can raise the altimeter almost .125"gaining much needed space on the back of the sled.

First three iterations.
Rich BT50C QuarkAltimeterBay 180mah2sLiPo 1.jpg
View of "top" side.
Rich BT50C QuarkAltimeterBay 180mah2sLiPo 2.jpg
Another view of top side
Rich BT50C QuarkAltimeterBay 180mah2sLiPo 3.jpg
View of bottom side with switch mounted, it all fits with about .06" of clearance to the coupler tube.
Rich BT50C QuarkAltimeterBay 180mah2sLiPo 4.jpg
Side view.
Rich BT50C QuarkAltimeterBay 180mah2sLiPo 5.jpg
Just how tight things are.
Rich BT50C QuarkAltimeterBay 180mah2sLiPo 6.jpg

It’s not what I did ... however the GF ordered a condor boost glider and a Corporal kit from apogee ! Lol!
This will be kits two and three for her.
Mind you we are in early 60’s of age haha
Her new name is rocket princess!

although I did get a new quality miter guage for my bandsaw.. and it works like a charm

Back