What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started installing some 2-56 LumaDyne inserts into my 54mm FWFG project, having received them recently from the good folks at Apogee. This was a first for me.

Used my TRF inspired fin slotting jig and Dremel router accessory to hold everything in place as the holes were pilot drilled through the G12 Profusion FWFG upper body and the G12 FWFG coupler underneath. Final drill by hand to 4.5mm, which is larger than the 5/32" stated hole size in the instructions but tests in a spare G10 coupler proved this was the right drill-bit for this job. Dry test fit afterwards revealed all perfectly aligned and great fit. Pleased with the result. Fixing in place with JB Weld, and will consider fairing the outside edges later on.

IMG_2017.jpg

Also installed conformal rail guides to my 38mm minimum diameter FG home-rolled project yesterday. This project has been about learning and practising new skills such as rolling fibreglass, laminating to make plate/fins from scratch, and tip to tip glassing for MD. Today I sprayed it with yellow Brake Caliper paint from Dupli-Color, just so it's a bit tougher and maybe a bit more heat resistant for trans-sonic and supersonic in it's future career, should the rocket gods find it worthy. Shot two light coats and then a wetter one as per the instructions. 7 days to cure before black detailing gets added, also in Dupli-Color brake caliper paint.

IMG_2019.jpg

IMG_2020.jpg

...Used my TRF inspired fin slotting jig and Dremel router accessory to hold everything in place as the holes were pilot drilled through the G12 Profusion FWFG upper body and the G12 FWFG coupler underneath. Final drill by hand to 4.5mm, which is larger than the 5/32" stated hole size in the instructions but tests in a spare G10 coupler proved this was the right drill-bit for this job....

Would you mind sharing some more details (or a link) to your "TRF inspired fin slotting jig and Dremel router accessory?" Thanks.

Updated ye ole rocket wall, installed Skywriter Deluxe and Blackfish.
Rocket wall 7-19-20.jpg
It would appear that ye ole rocket wall is now pretty much full. There are a few nooks and crannies available for little stuff, but not for the 24"-30" rockets that I normally build. This will create a challenge going forward. I have a few ideas.

It would appear that ye ole rocket wall is now pretty much full. There are a few nooks and crannies available for little stuff, but not for the 24"-30" rockets that I normally build. This will create a challenge going forward. I have a few ideas.

Very nice, that pencil looks particularly massive between the Diamond Cutter and Alcubierre. I didn't realize it was larger than PD II. I also just noticed you have a crayon rocket to go along with the pencil.

1. Hooks on the rafters/beams for hanging horizontally.
2. Build a rocket barn in the back yard. Work station, rocket storage area, A/C, big screen TV...........

I read a crucial chapter in Stine's "Handbook of Model Rocketry" in which he discusses equations for calculating altitude. He begins simply, without considering air drag. Without that, the equations looked deceptively easy. Then he had to bring drag in and explain that one has to calculate it taking into consideration the rocket's angle of attack, it's velocity, it's overall weight, the changing weight of the motor as it empties its fuel and other factors. Not only that, this needs to get calculated ideally for every 0.1 second of the flight's duration. He said he made these calculations by hand once and that was more than enough. Hello computer software.

Speaking of that, the book mentions RockSim but it doesn't mention OpenRocket.

Overall, it's a great read and I'm filling my brain up everyday.

Latest posts

Back