What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought some streamer material at Walmart to use as recovery wadding. Cost was 97 cents and it is 1-3/4" x 150 ft long. When I got home I checked to see how fire resistant it really is... it will not burn... no way... no how.

Tape a penny to one end of the streamer and roll the paper around the penny. Slide the streamer into the body tube, then pack the chute.

At ejection the streamer falling to earth does 3 things... it looks cool... it helps in locating the rocket in the sky and it helps with directional location in regard to locating the rocket.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    239.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    204.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    230.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 17
Tried and failed to rescue my stuck rocket today. Drone couldn't get near the tree. It's dropped to about 25 feet up but is wrapped round the branch. D'oh! We tried tying some fishing line round a rock and flinging it round the branch to lever it down. However it's a pine tree so the line was too weak. As much as I hate it I think i will end up chucking some tow rope up there and snapping the branch off. Sad times.
Take a look at this. I built one using bright pink braided fishing line and then attach parachute cord to the fishing line, pull the parachute cord back up over the limb & use that to work the rocket off.

Bought some streamer material at Walmart to use as recovery wadding. Cost was 97 cents and it is 1-3/4" x 150 ft long. When I got home I checked to see how fire resistant it really is... it will not burn... no way... no how.

Tape a penny to one end of the streamer and roll the paper around the penny. Slide the streamer into the body tube, then pack the chute.

At ejection the streamer falling to earth does 3 things... it looks cool... it helps in locating the rocket in the sky and it helps with directional location in regard to locating the rocket.
I was surprised that the Walmart streamers works better than the Estes wadding.

I added some yellow to my spray paint collection along with some wood filler, for my loc precision’s Hi-Tech when it arrives.

Attachments

• B7DBA4A1-3EBC-44C0-9B2A-0A8C60BEDBEC.jpeg
    B7DBA4A1-3EBC-44C0-9B2A-0A8C60BEDBEC.jpeg
    211.1 KB · Views: 17
Finally picked up a motor and hardware that @Flyfalcons has been holding onto for me for the past 9 months. The last piece needed for my L3 attempt is in hand, now it’s just when will we have another launch, and will it be one I can actually attend?

Attachments

• 58DC0C40-3CFC-4199-BF02-B0FB322DCE9F.jpeg
    58DC0C40-3CFC-4199-BF02-B0FB322DCE9F.jpeg
    120.7 KB · Views: 28
Now that I finally unpacked more boxes, sorted and reorganized shelves, and cleared space on my workbench, I started repairing/preparing a bag of parachutes for my range box. Once that's done, I'll start on repairs to the mangled fleet in drydock/spacedock.IMG_20200619_204514354.jpg

Last edited:
Looks a lot like my LaserLOC’s in half-stack configuration.

View attachment 420976
Those are nice! Honestly I came up with the fin shape by digging the pattern sheet out of my Designer Special kit and just going for the delta shape unmodified. I cut four fins like the Supersonic, then went into OR and decided three would do, then figured how short I could make the rocket with a half ounce of added nose weight. In the end, a lot more effort went into something that may or may not be found after a half-mile shot on an E20 than I could have gotten away with, but the actual building part was painless enough.

Those are nice! Honestly I came up with the fin shape by digging the pattern sheet out of my Designer Special kit and just going for the delta shape unmodified. I cut four fins like the Supersonic, then went into OR and decided three would do, then figured how short I could make the rocket with a half ounce of added nose weight. In the end, a lot more effort went into something that may or may not be found after a half-mile shot on an E20 than I could have gotten away with, but the actual building part was painless enough.
I’m planning to break Mach AND the One Mile Wall at our rocketry club on a BT60...oh my.

Received in the mail from Boyce Aerospace today. 3D parts for a Space X Dragon 2/Falcon 9 build from the Apogee plans in the latest Peak of Flight newsletter.
Removed the landing legs and grid fins from their respective "rafts".
Need to contour sand them.
Other parts from erockets (tubes, couplers, centering rings, bulkhead) arriving soon, ETA this Saturday.
0618201501[1].jpg
Yeeha!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back