What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

wmay78

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Added a motor retainer to the Alien Interceptor and sprayed it to match the rest of the rocket...

View attachment 417444
Is this the 24mm version or 18mm? I have the 18mm and was thinking about a motor retainer, but it is larger then the body frame so i am concerned about drag. Could you update with how it flies? Currently I'm using the masking tape and jam it in place method. I'm going with a metallic pewter paint. This looks nice!

Attachments

Wally Ferrer

SRE
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Is this the 24mm version or 18mm? I have the 18mm and was thinking about a motor retainer, but it is larger then the body frame so i am concerned about drag. Could you update with how it flies? Currently I'm using the masking tape and jam it in place method. I'm going with a metallic pewter paint. This looks nice!
I'm not looking to break any speed or altitude records, so I'm not terribly concerned about the extra drag. It's the 18mm, and I have not flown it yet.

wmay78

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Two new projects/scratch builds for recently purchased 24mm and 29mm hardware.
1. Bt-80 short body with delta swept fins and 29mm motor mount.

2. Bt-60 body with trapezoid fins, 24mm motor.
Both Hopefully flying fathers day weekend!

Attachments

wmay78

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not looking to break any speed or altitude records, so I'm not terribly concerned about the extra drag. It's the 18mm, and I have not flown it yet.
I think I'll put mine on for safety. I have an 18/20 aerotech casing I put in it last weekend with a D24T reload. I never saw it after it hit the clouds but did find it later in the day going to pick up one of my high power rockets. It was straight as arrow. Beautiful rocket Sir!

Wally Ferrer

SRE
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I think I'll put mine on for safety. I have an 18/20 aerotech casing I put in it last weekend with a D24T reload. I never saw it after it hit the clouds but did find it later in the day going to pick up one of my high power rockets. It was straight as arrow. Beautiful rocket Sir!
Thanks- I'll keep that in mind, I have a D24 or two... ;)

Reaction score
Built a Eggtimer Quantum. Fired it up, and i am having issues with it... need to check the solder joints on the optoisolaters per Cris’ troubleshooting guide...
CD8DE5B7-2751-47F9-BE5B-CED445454DC4.jpeg
EEC8A90A-328C-42E0-A23D-34AB996B9760.jpeg

tOD

Sinking in the quicksand of HPR
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Built a Eggtimer Quantum. Fired it up, and i am having issues with it... need to check the solder joints on the optoisolaters per Cris’ troubleshooting guide...View attachment 417773View attachment 417774
Don't give up, mine gave me a hard time as well. Touched up some solder joints and got it working. I've since built another one that fired up first time.

Reaction score
Don't give up, mine gave me a hard time as well. Touched up some solder joints and got it working. I've since built another one that fired up first time.
Oh, I’m not! This is actually my second quantum. My first was given to me as part of the the TRF secret Santa a few years ago, and I was intimidated by it until last week When I decided to finally give it a try. All went well until the very end when I screwed up and put the fet in the place of a rectifier. I fried the board accidentally when trying to remove it and fix my mistake. Cris was nice enough to send me a new part just in case, but the damage was done. I bought a hot air station on amazon, and it worked wonders the second time around. Now, I can get the unit to boot up, but I can’t eat continuity on the rogue channel.

Reactions: tOD

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Last night/this morning.
Assembled a Semroc 1/35 V2 from parts from erockets.
Parts were bagged and thrown into the build pile centuries ago. 😄
1.84" dia. (ST-18) tube, pre-drilled nose cone for ballast, pre-drilled tail cone with 24mm opening.
Laser cut fins.
Assembled wt. 2.05 oz.
Don't know if Semroc ever put this into production, but their specs show an 18mm motor mount.
0522201435a[1].jpg

Soda can for scale.
Just need to epoxy in some bbs.
Build, build, build!
Laters.

o1d_dude

'I battle gravity'
Reaction score
Epoxied the motor mount into my black/orange Formula 54 from Madcow and beveled the fins.

In the process of ordering a couple of Landru AV bay sleds from Missileworks for my two LaserLoC kits.

rbelknap

Reaction score
Keep working on that, Robert, and be on the lookout for an Estes/Hobby Lobby “Vapor”. One of the two suggested finishing scheme is very similar to what you’ve done.
Thanks for the encouragement. I’ll definitely try this again in the future. But for now I’m calling it done. I masked off the bottom of the rocket, lightly sanded the tape line edge down a bit and then hit the top with a dusting of yellow. (With the light breeze, I think more paint drifted over the fence than got on the rocket.) Here’s the final result:

11CE1C30-CEF1-43F8-82A8-1F84E0D9F118.jpeg

Still a bit of a sharp edge, but much better than last night. I’m afraid if I keep messing with it at this point, I’ll waste a lot of paint for little benefit, or I’ll go overboard on a coat and end up with the runs.

All that’s left to do is wait for a couple of sets of StickerShock custom lettering I ordered last night.

wmay78

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Two new projects/scratch builds for recently purchased 24mm and 29mm hardware.
1. Bt-80 short body with delta swept fins and 29mm motor mount.

2. Bt-60 body with trapezoid fins, 24mm motor.
Both Hopefully flying fathers day weekend!
I cut my fins a millimeter short so i created a couple supporting rings for them to rest on. Now I'm just putting epoxy layer after layer and the fillets.

Wood filler in on the fins and body tube for the spirals, sanding, and paint.

Attachments

prfesser

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Finished masking, and sprayed the undercoat, for the semi-upscale-260-space-booster. Masking is a LOTTA work!

ToneDeafJunior

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I did not listen to my head telling me NO and flew the Saturn V one more time today. Must have tweaked a fin last flight because it corkscrewed up only about 100 feet, turned over and with a 4 second delay... Well, you know. Ruined the Gemini capsule too. It was not a good day for me.
Saturn V and Gemini Capsule.jpg

Scrapmaster87

Reaction score
Almost done CADDing my 4.6" Big Bertha motor mount.... I can't do anything easy...

The motor tubes are rolled and cut, I think I might go print a cropped test section of that forward ring. Need to make sure the threads will print nicely and the PET nut holes come out clean.

Those are 29/360 and 380/1080 cases modeled there.

Capture.PNG
Capture2.PNG

o1d_dude

'I battle gravity'
Reaction score
Used my badass fin jig from Badass Rocketry to mount fins on Madcow / RW Formula 54. Weighed all the components as well. Heavier than I thought it would be even without recovery gear.

Played with OpenRocket on the Formula 54 file. I have a long way to go on getting my sim chops up to snuff.

Knuckledragger

TLAR Engineering hack
Reaction score
Installed the shock cords on my modified Big Daddy, finished painting the Mars Lander (just have to install the rivets to make the landing assembly accessible), cut the fins for a Leviathan clone, and primered the Big Bertha. Tried launching the BD three times last week but the winds were 15+ and a burn ban in place so maybe today or tomorrow it goes airborn.

Reaction score
In the lower right area I can see a peace of wire that is not suppose to be their.
that’s already been addressed... it was a strand of loose wire From when I clipped the battery leads down. It wasn’t soldered on at all

Reactions: Leo