What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Belated post, again...
Came down with the flu last Friday. Finally shaking it off today. Anyhoot...

Goblin in Da' House! (Arrived Saturday)
Goblin In The House-Small.jpg

I also made progress on my DarkStar, updating that thread soon, and I started working on my 2017 Secret Santa gift.

PemTech Screaming Green Meanie
PemTech SGM_Sub Assemblies-Small.jpg
PemTech SGM_Work In Progress-Small.jpg
Still need to install upper rail button. SGM will get a NC mod for chute storage similar to what I did on my Big Daddy.

Last edited:
Rocket stuff today! Reinstalled OpenRocket 15.03 to Mint 19.1 Linux system, in hopes it works. The 13.x I have works, but changing to Linux Mint 19 did something to the system. However, since 13 works, I did work on an X-15ish rocket that's to be flown on another rocket as its payload on the way up. Lots of thrust involved, I might have to liquid fuel it or styrofoam the X15 part of it to get it off the ground!

I've also worked a bit on a glider recovery. The solid rocket motors can be short little things compared with this big empty tube that wouldn't mind a little mass, such as a deployable wing at apogee. Regallo? Maybe not a glider, but a powered landing? Cold weather brings out the mad scientist part of me!

Assembled and installed a Lab Rat Rocketry nosecone sled for my Featherweight tracker. It went together swimmingly. Chris, this is a great design!

I’m hoping to launch this in my Blackhawk 38 this weekend in Berwick, Maine. The ultimate goal is Mach + Mile on a Loki I405, but this weekend will be the shakedown flight to test the flight computer and tracker on a Loki G68.

8032AC82-AF24-4BD4-88CA-C736DFF5A642.jpeg D7F4C17B-05A6-4EED-8B4F-C8F1D753C13C.jpeg

Assembled and installed a Lab Rat Rocketry nosecone sled for my Featherweight tracker. It went together swimmingly. Chris, this is a great design!

I’m hoping to launch this in my Blackhawk 38 this weekend in Berwick, Maine. The ultimate goal is Mach + Mile on a Loki I405, but this weekend will be the shakedown flight to test the flight computer and tracker on a Loki G68.

View attachment 369359 View attachment 369360

Glad you like it. That sled took a few more design cycles than normal. Good luck with the flight.

I spoke with NASA HR Dave Voracek over the phone tonight for two minutes. He asked for a resume’. I’m actually too excited to sleep. I don’t know what happens next.

I assume its a bulkhead with a big hole. I love mounting nosecone like this. Easy to interchange between nose cones as well. 0405181646.jpeg0503180958_HDR.jpeg

Atterberry Performance Engineering also makes a great Nose cone Avbay kit.

Attachments

• 1002182014_HDR.jpg
    1002182014_HDR.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 81
How is the bay secured int eh nose? Base view, please.

The set-up is analogous to the one that Eric showed. The sled is a Frankenstein, with some parts from an Atterberry Performance Engineering sled and some that I made myself.

Is your Quantum missing a resistor?

Holy crap!!! I assume you mean the space next to the buzzer. I have flown this Quantum several times, so apparently it works without it.

I just looked through the instructions on the Eggtimer website. Some of the photos show a "103" resistor in that spot and some do not. Time to shoot an email to Cris.

Is your Quantum missing a resistor?

Here's the response from Cris about the missing resistor on my Quantum:

Does the buzzer work? It might or might not... this is as a pull-down resistor on the gate of the FET that drives the buzzer. It might not technically be necessary, but it's good practice to put one there.

Surprisingly, my buzzer did work. And for the record....mounting this resistor was clearly stated in the instructions. There wasn’t a picture of the step, and I apparently can’t read anything without a picture.

63DD194D-4C97-4221-86FC-ECB132C3075C.jpeg

Last edited:
Did some prep work on my LOC Goblin. Weighed all the parts and adjusted the .ork file accordingly. Sanded MMT and CR's for a nice snug fit. Decided to give the Goblin's NC the same treatment for an EggFinder as my BlackFly.

This is my first LOC kit and I must say I am very impressed with the quality and fit of the parts. Well done LOC.

Good to know it wasn't a critical part. The buzzer has been a problem on one of my Quantums and keeps going silent. I finally got a replacement part from Cris and will get it installed over the holidays
Here's the response from Cris about the missing resistor on my Quantum:

Does the buzzer work? It might or might not... this is as a pull-down resistor on the gate of the FET that drives the buzzer. It might not technically be necessary, but it's good practice to put one there.

Surprisingly, my buzzer did work. And for the record....mounting this resistor was clearly stated in the instructions. There wasn’t a picture of the step, and I apparently can’t read anything without a picture.

View attachment 369483

I bought a gun case. Finally found one long enough for the Loki 54/4000 with the tear-out foam that didn't cost a fortune.

kXqJWeH.jpg

I sought out some rocketry programs to use on a Linux laptop. Perhaps I should learn coding well enough so that I can write my own program? Not many rocketry programs exist (that are free, anyway).

Designed a L1 certification rocket for my dad. Will be using a 3D printed fincan, nosecone, transition and centering rings. Tube will be a mail tube. Pretty simple yet strong design. Can be converted into a dual deployment test bed. 1545524498478_image.jpeg

Latest posts

Back