What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Completed another project, a Mercury Redstone - Liberty Bell 7, for the launch with my Cub Scouts this weekend. Really looking forward to taking the boys out for some fun!
Redstone.jpg

It got too hot to be working on my outside projects, so I spent a little over an hour working up what I thought was a very nice OR file, but when I just went to open it again, something was corrupted so it could not be opened, and then it disappeared from the list of recent items entirely.
I found out that for some reason, it had saved the file to "My Pictures" instead of "My Documents", but it wrote some code for a file name, and I can't open it even after sending it to "My Documents". Now I'm just totally angry!!!:mad:
I did save the PDF of the design report, and even printed it for my templates, so I'm not back to square one entirely, as I can still open that to review all of the design parameters, but I don't want to work up another file until I figure out why it happened, lest it do it again.:mad:

It got too hot to be working on my outside projects, so I spent a little over an hour working up what I thought was a very nice OR file, but when I just went to open it again, something was corrupted so it could not be opened, and then it disappeared from the list of recent items entirely.
I found out that for some reason, it had saved the file to "My Pictures" instead of "My Documents", but it wrote some code for a file name, and I can't open it even after sending it to "My Documents". Now I'm just totally angry!!!:mad:
I did save the PDF of the design report, and even printed it for my templates, so I'm not back to square one entirely, as I can still open that to review all of the design parameters, but I don't want to work up another file until I figure out why it happened, lest it do it again.:mad:

I've had OR refuse to open files before. Try changing the name maybe (but keep the .ork extension!)... Sometimes works.

I have seen OR (and other programs) goof when saving in particular when converting from one format to another...they will tack a new extension onto the file name so you end up with something like 'MyRocket.rkt.ork' in which case delete the dotrkt to leave 'MyRocket.ork'. windows doesn't like it when there are extra periods in file names.
Rex

This morning, conducted my first BAR model rocket launch since 1983! See the details over on the LPR forum.

I've had OR refuse to open files before. Try changing the name maybe (but keep the .ork extension!)... Sometimes works.

Thanks, I just took your advice and tried that, and it did not work, so I guess my design and choices of materials were "Too cool for School", so OR can take a hike for this one.
The funny part is, I did not do any kind of build thread or OR file for the first one of this particular rocket until after it had flown it's maiden flight, so maybe it's just meant to be this way? No worries. I noticed some of my other .ork files are screwed up too, so I am not even going to deal with it this summer.

Test fit my new 3D printed nosecone to turn my Father's Day Mercury Redstone kit into The Yooper Jupiter - The Redstone Never Flown from the Keweenaw Rocket Range. ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1468453879.867516.jpg

More primer on the Madcow Lil Goblin 38mm and nose cone.

Rearranged the tube collection storage area.

Temps hit 101 tiday so not much got done in the afternoon.

Place my first order in years with tower hobbies today , $15.00 off $50.00 + free shipping brought the cost down on 24 1/2A6-2's

received shipping notice a few hrs later :)

Updated my eGGfinder kit with WarnerR recently .

Loaded the latest update for both my eGGtimer TRS and the eGGfinder LCD .

Since I had them hooked up to the computer also set a unique identifier with my TRF handle ..and set them both to a not stock frequency and id .

Showed WarnerR my big base Antenna and nosecone sled also .

He had just soldered two up ..one standard TRS and another X - perimental ...both assemblies were top shelf ..very nice !

Time to bust some waivers !

Kenny

Had a build session with some kids at the residential school my wife is the Ed.Director of.
The kids were great despite the fact that most of them have behavior issues.
Out of the seven kids we managed to finish 2 Vikings and 2 Alphas 1 Comet Chaser. One of the guys who has done the rocketry program in the past built most of a Load Star II, he just needed to put the fins on the sustainer when time ran out. I know, that's only 6...one of the kids slept the entire time and didn't even open the bag.
Next week I get to work with a group of younger kids building some Generic E2X kits. We'll see how that goes.
Then, sometime in August I will be invited back to run the launch and do some demo flights from my collection.
It's always a fun afternoon the enthusiasm and excitement are amazing.

Did some maintenance on my mothballed Estes Saturn IB to get it ready for tomorrow's launch.

Ugh!
Looks like I'm pulling an all-nighter trying to get my lathe running.
I spent from about 8:00 til' half an hour ago setting up a different set of parts that I called my "Plan-B Lathe", only to start it up and find the motor that was originally scheduled to replace my broken drill press motor was ridiculously over powered for what I had built, so it looks like my drill press will get it's motor after all, and I should have just done that instead of wasting 6 hours.
The funny part was that when I was stacking up the parts to put away, I put some together in a manner that got my gears turning, and it looks like my "Plan-A Lathe" was doable all along with the stuff I have on hand.:facepalm:
On the other hand, now that I just finally sat down to type this and eat a sandwich, I suddenly feel incredibly exhausted, so many I'll get some sleep. Oh well, the parts are layed out the way they need to be, so it's just a matter of drilling 20 something more holes in stuff.:eyeroll:

Had a great day flying with NOVAAR with a few of my Cub Scouts and my kids. Huge thanks to KenECoyote for a cr he made for me many months ago when we were all talking about the big daddy failures. That worked like a champ attached to the nosecone and we had a beautiful flight and recovery. My youngest finally got to launch his Sunward 6 footer. That was awesome. I was surprised how straight it went! I got to launch the ACME Spitfire, Lifting Body, and a few others. Sadly my GI Joe Lofter (scratch build from 13 years ago) came down hard on it's second flight today because the best I can tell I forgot to turn on the Jolly Logic Chute Release. GI Joe came out and down fine, but not the rocket. On it's first flight the camera came off of GI Joe, so we lost an 808. Oh well, things happen. All in all we had a great day and the kids saw some nice L1 high power rockets and many low and medium power ones go off today.

The Acme Going off
acme2.jpg
Erik's 6 footer
Eriks 6 footer on stand.jpg
And the GI Joe Lofter's final flight :(
last flight lofter.jpgIMG_0073a.jpg

Finally my daughter checking continuity as we setup. She did all the announcing today, which she just loved.
megan checking continuity.jpg

Test flew the Flying V guitar.

[video=youtube;a1hZjhQ9Ps0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1hZjhQ9Ps0[/video]

Made the center stock for my lathe and did some mock up.
I'll run some all thread though the base of the box through the center stock so it can be positioned anywhere inside the work area to accommodate different length cones and airframe components like transitions or airframes themselves, which I am going to have a go at turning from foam. I'll make the body tube in sections, then bore it out accordingly so it is not a solid chunk of foam.
I've been doing some numbers in Openrocket, and there is no reason other than the peanut gallery not to have a go at it, and I never listen to them anyhow.
Some otherwise nearly impossible designs will be achievable now.:clap:
There will be a stuffer tube ofcourse, and yeah the foam is not the most durable thing in the world, but It does not need to be as I just want fun rockets that look cool. A .75oz. layer of glass cloth will make the skin plenty durable for me, and since I'll have the lathe, when they break, I'll get my guide template out and make another. I have an unlimited source of free blue foam, and even with a 1" thick wall, a 4"x48" airframe weighs very little compared to cardboard and glass rockets or stuff like the Aerotech G-force with all of it's heavy plastic componentry.

Anyhow, we shall see soon enough!!!

I still have to figure out where I want to mount the control box, but that came with the motor, so it is plug and play, and I may just make a separate stand for it so the height and placement can be variable to suit the workspace or terrain.
A camera tripod I have may be ideal. Then I can move it about depending on which operation I am doing to the workpiece.
Lathe  Almost Done 2016-07-16 018.jpgLathe  Almost Done 2016-07-16 017.jpgLathe  Almost Done 2016-07-16 019.jpgLathe  Almost Done 2016-07-16 020.jpgLathe  Almost Done 2016-07-16 023.jpg

I also had a sort of "Rocketry Nervous Brakdown" due to all the clutter, and cleaned my work area and workbench. I also took the TV out to the truck so it can find a new home and I can have my old workbench back, so now I'll have even more space to work on stuff.
Gonna' need that extra space.

Last edited:
It was yesterday, but I used my Stanley Cubix Laser Level to help align the fins on my NCR Laserhawk. And I'm trying to identify a kit I bought almost 15 years ago and have seemed to misplace the instructions for... I think it's an ASP Nike Smoke with Tiny Tim booster, but I'm not positive. No photos... They're stuck on my phone and I can't get them to transfer to iCloud to download on my laptop :mad:.

Today I installed rail buttons on 7 Mini FG Mad Cow rockets 6 Patriots and 1 Black Brant. All went well.

Dang that's a big fleet you're putting together. I'm supposed to get my MC order tomorrow; a couple fiberglass minis are in the order. Really looking forward to tackling those.

Back