What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it was yesterday, but i went to my first launch of the school year and reflew my Level 1 rocket with a slightly more powerful motor.

And today i have been working on my Rocketry Warehouse Broken Arrow 4

Had two successful launches of an updated prototype of the Break-Away.
Both stable and straight flights with a B6-4 and C6-5.
The rocket breaks into six segments at ejection and serpentines down.
Like the old OOP Estes Wacky-Wiggler but a tighter design.

View attachment 271903

You can see Chris photographing one of his flights about 2 minutes and 23 seconds into my video of the NEFAR launch. I think he's flying his Quest Magnum Sport Loader.

[video=youtube;HNb3QqNN38Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNb3QqNN38Q[/video]​

-- Roger

Had two flights with my 24mm glider, an E7 and an E11... 7/11 turned unlucky. On the second flight, E11 blew the rear closure and sent the motor flying forward into the fuselage, ripping though the radio compartment. Lots of broken foam :=(

It's interesting that the grain is the one thing that may be salvageable from this mess. It has a larger C-slot now, but must of the propellant is still there.

Here's the aftermath.

Ari.

20150913_184658_001.jpg

Videos from the flights today, one good, one bad.
[video=youtube_share;Mi5uUY46wKw]https://youtu.be/Mi5uUY46wKw[/video]
[video=youtube_share;GDqCJCA-0lc]https://youtu.be/GDqCJCA-0lc[/video]

That time year to do a inventory of my reload stash. Im sure there are many folks on here with more than me. I like to buy enough for the next year and add as needed. Looks like I have a good start for 2016. I did pick up 7 high power loads last month on a good deal.

(Reloads)

1 Pak F39
2 H180w
1 I218R
1 I300T
1 I357T
2 I211W
2 I161W
6 I284W
2 J275W
1 J406T
3 J415W
2 J135W
2 J800T
2 K550W
2 K1100T

29 total
There are a few I need to get but not many.
Now I just need to get my CTI reloads up to that level. That would be nice.

Weekend report: it was damp, cold and rainy all weekend (now warm & sunny since its Monday). So, I stayed in and got a bunch of stuff done, basically working on three projects at once. I built up the motor mount for my PSII Sahara. I swapped out the included motor tube with a longer a bit longer one to act as stuffer. And it shortens how far the recovery harness reaches in, but more importantly allows button attachment farther up without protruding into the parachute area with hardware that might snag something. I also sanded/filled/primed/painted most of the parts - due to the complexity of the paint scheme and the fact that some of the paints aren't really compatible with each other, I've elected to finish the parts individually before assembly. That saves me some rather complex masking and negative masking to pull of what I have in mind.

I cut out and started trimming the parts for an upscale EPM-010, which I'm calling EPM-016. Tubes are cut, the lower tube was slotted, the fins were marked out of 1/8" ply and cut out on the bandsaw, then final sanded. The tip pods were assembled; I slotted them to fit tabs on the fin tips as well, for better locating. I need to make up a baffle to join the segments of lower tube yet. I've not done a built thread on any of this because 1) I was going fast enough that I didn't take pictures and 2) it seems that nobody reads them, so what's the point?

And the third project was building this BT-70 upscale of an Estes 0882 Ninja:
WP_003553.jpg

Obviously, it needs painting yet. But the minor snag was that I decided to measure the overall length after completion, and found it to be an inch short. I rechecked my tube length compared to the model and was OK, as well as fin size/position. Then I realized that the nose cone was shorter than advertised. I bought this cone for this project, based on eRockets/Semroc labeling as 7.6" long. I should've picked up from the description of "3G ogive" that, from the math, it would only be 6.6", but didn't. So, I'm looking for another suitable cone to use, since this is too short to be scale, but more importantly, throws off my CG/CP numbers. I'm a little miffed that I already epoxied the nose weights in, but I'm sure I'll find another use for the cone somewhere...

Tested my rebuilt Super Batray DD ejection charges successfully at 1.2gr.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1442260837.368346.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1442261039.232375.jpg

Launched an exhibition Madcow Mozzie turned into water balloon launcher on a G78-7G LMS.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1442260992.734430.jpg

Received a book by mail
93bc4c58517421e838474d197f89a0ea.jpg

Sort of rocket related....

Coworker noticed change missing from his desk last week. I too was missing change. Brought my 808 keychain rocket camera in and caught the cleaning person scratching her butt and crotch before digging into my hot tamales and stealing $1.55 worth of change. Caught it on the 2nd day of recording.

here is the vid. I figure it is OK to post here since this is not a local site and the video is unlisted.

Awww, says "Unavailable" :(

Started sanding paint off the unshreded fin of the Mega Der Purple Max.

Want to laminate another layer of fg on both sides.. already have two new fins cut and want to fg them before attaching them too.

Kenny

1442285478551.jpg

Primed and started re-painting my LOC Expediter. Tonight, it was decal time for the Der Red MaxImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1442298190.616375.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1442298203.125107.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1442298213.242986.jpg

Actually did this on 9/11. Have been sick since then but decided to hit the forums today. On Friday I renewed my NAR membership. They gave me old number back, but could not find what was needed to grant me my L2. Not a big deal, but I may look for an old membership card to prove my cert level.

I also signed up for Facebook. Jury is still out on if that was something I'll appreciate, or regret ...

I ordered some rail buttons. And sanded the primer on my Ninja, and the fins for the Sahara. I'm in between applying color coats to the Ninja right now. Oh, and I received this in the mail:
WP_003558.jpg

I put the terminal blocks on my Quarks .. ROGUE style (on top) . 2nd Quark I solo'd on and it has beeps ..next up the deployment tests . Felt weird not having to do a Master reset ... :grin:

Also took off rest of paint and primer on Mega Der Purple Max remaining fin.. (the others shredded .. AT H550-ST) . Instead of another layer of fg..going to just laminate with some .06 G10 as a splint /reinforcement / with a smooth finish..

On the other fins will NOT make the Estes type lattice cut outs and will do traditional fg over cheap luan

Kenny

1442429415494.jpg

1442429432857.jpg

2015-09-16 14.41.55.jpg

Made an egg rocket for the kids this weekend, will be launching eggs and toy astronauts for their pleasure.

Dropped come cash at Fibre Glast to get all the disposables for vacuum bagging. Also, got some 3/8" end grain balsa sheet. Going to do cutouts in some fins and fill with the balsa, then laminate with carbon fiber. This is the plan for my L3 7.5" V2 project, so I need to do some testing.

The good news is I don't need a pump as we have some extra Buchi 700s with digital controllers laying around at work that I can borrow whenever I want...one of the perks of working in a lab.

570.jpg

Moved my Madcow Frenzy over the workbench and test fit a few pieces of pvc schedule 40 pipe to see how they'd work to draw the fin fillets. They should work fine because they're the same ones I used to mark the tape lines. Then I pretended to draw some fillets to see how to address the gap between to the fins.

Earlier in the day, I cut up some cereal boxes to make epoxy mixing surfaces.

Saw the cardiologist yesterday for a follow-up exam and asked him if my "heart is healthy enough for sex" like they say in the TV commercials. LOL! He said yes. Mrs. OD was totally embarrassed and took me to task after we left. I explained to her that I was trying to insure the things the doctor had said earlier were in fact on the level. The sex thing clinched it.

This evening I walked 3 laps around the cul-de-sac (approximately 600 yards) to get back into rocket retrieval shape. Healthy enough for sex, healthy enough for rocketry...hmmm...sounds like a good name for my next rocket.

Moved my Madcow Frenzy over the workbench and test fit a few pieces of pvc schedule 40 pipe to see how they'd work to draw the fin fillets. They should work fine because they're the same ones I used to mark the tape lines. Then I pretended to draw some fillets to see how to address the gap between to the fins.

Earlier in the day, I cut up some cereal boxes to make epoxy mixing surfaces.

Saw the cardiologist yesterday for a follow-up exam and asked him if my "heart is healthy enough for sex" like they say in the TV commercials. LOL! He said yes. Mrs. OD was totally embarrassed and took me to task after we left. I explained to her that I was trying to insure the things the doctor had said earlier were in fact on the level. The sex thing clinched it.

This evening I walked 3 laps around the cul-de-sac (approximately 600 yards) to get back into rocket retrieval shape. Healthy enough for sex, healthy enough for rocketry...hmmm...sounds like a good name for my next rocket.

Hehehehe ;)

Not exactly rocket work, but I did do some spacecraft work yesterday.

Several years back I was the team lead on building an Orion demo cockpit at work. It is used to demo some aspects of operating Orion. Working displays, functional controls, displays behind the spacecraft windows that correctly show the star fields and other spacecraft or the ISS during approach.

I went by our office in Crystal City while working elsewhere in DC and did some minor repairs and touch ups on the unit.

The unit no longer exactly represents the current spacecraft configuration, but is still very useful for briefing and demonstrations.

Fun to sit in it and fly a rendezvous with the ISS.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Sent a email to Oh Boy Oberto beef jerky plant in hopes of them having some decals that I can put on a rocket that I am doing a paint schem of the OBoy oberto Hydroplane. Hope they will come through. If not I guess I will have to get some made.

Not exactly rocket work, but I did do some spacecraft work yesterday.

Several years back I was the team lead on building an Orion demo cockpit at work. It is used to demo some aspects of operating Orion. Working displays, functional controls, displays behind the spacecraft windows that correctly show the star fields and other spacecraft or the ISS during approach.

I went by our office in Crystal City while working elsewhere in DC and did some minor repairs and touch ups on the unit.

The unit no longer exactly represents the current spacecraft configuration, but is still very useful for briefing and demonstrations.

Fun to sit in it and fly a rendezvous with the ISS.

View attachment 272177

Ok, now you are just showing off. :wink:

I might be guilty as charged....;) I am particularly proud of that project. Definitely on my short list of projects that were lots of fun.

I envy this kind of work. Every work project I do ends with a few mgs of white powder in a vial...not much to behold.

Back