What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sat here all day waiting for a motor delivery (signature required). Fedex shows up and parks in the street. No driver emerges. 3 minutes later, drove away. I tried to catch him in the car, but he gone.

End of the day, update says..."Tried to deliver, nobody home." I WAS SITTING HERE ALL DAY!

Not Happy. I even thought, I should walk out to the delivery van...in retrospect I should have.....

Grrrrrrr.
The gas people were supposed to inspect our meter and scheduled visits. 3 times, they claimed to have been here when we were actually in the house, but they claimed we weren't. The fourth time, we had a sign up asking the guy to make lots of noise, but he didn't have to.
I can soooo relate. Just purchased a high flow NOS Pro-Big Shot solenoid valve from the US via Ebay using their international shipping Pitney Bowes service (no option alas). About 3-4 days to make it from Bowling Green Kentucky to an international flight. Another 3 or so weeks to make it from there to me. Painful.

TP
I recently had a package with motor related stuff in it sent from California. Tracking showed it arriving at one post office, being sent to another, and then back. Rinse and repeat. Eventually, they got it to New Jersey (other side of continent). Then they sent it back to one of the post offices in California, to the other one, and then back to the sender. It turned out nothing was wrong with it, so it went back in the system and eventually showed up at our door, nearly a month after it was first sent. Long enough for me to order and receive a replacement.

I didn't go to the launch today. Forecast was for steady rain. I'm going there Saturday. Scattered showers. Today I've been getting my stuff together and got two Av Bays set up. Loaded the truck. I'm taking the Pringles rocket, the Chicken rocket, the Priority Mail rocket, the Tarantula rocket also some regular rockets. I'm taking a night flyer incase I can fly it.

On another note. I saw Bill from BMS yesterday [Thursday]. His building was broken into. There are only a few houses near him. His rocket building is non-descript and is a couple hundred feet from his house. The bad guy came in the dead of night. Forced the door to get in .Looks like he used a crowbar. He set an ammo can by the door and propellant for an N motor. Left it all behind. Must have seen Bill's briefcase with a money bag on it. Got away with $800. What I can't understand is the bad guy couldn't have known what was in there, so why break in. He couldn't have known what the propellent was. To say I was shocked is an understatement.

I can soooo relate. Just purchased a high flow NOS Pro-Big Shot solenoid valve from the US via Ebay using their international shipping Pitney Bowes service (no option alas). About 3-4 days to make it from Bowling Green Kentucky to an international flight. Another 3 or so weeks to make it from there to me. Painful.

TP
It just seems to be the norm for any orders from the USofA to me here in Brisbane - 3 to 5 days to travel from vendor in rural USA to either SYD or BNE airports and then 2 weeks to get to my front door.

I've even "seen" (tracking updates) some of my packages arrive off an international flight into BNE airport, then being driven less than 3miles past my house to a delivery depot out in the far-burbs, like 30mins drive away, and then take nearly two weeks to get to my door after transiting two more local depots.

Read some email reply's and info that the Altus Metrum guys sent back to me regarding my anomalous flight experience last weekend. They were very speedy with their replies. I'm doing some ground testing with a spare EasyMini ( I sometimes buy in 2s for stuff from the USA), so more on this maybe tomorrow.

Started writing up a pre-flight checklist for future use. I'll have to scour TRF for ideas tomorrow.

Sent some of my Level 3 project concepts and design to another QRS club member for feedback. Got some good queries, challenges and suggestions back.

Later on, I'll be taking some 220 grit sandpaper to the payload tube of my 5.5" LOC Bullet. When I did the heavy coat of clear, I went a tad too heavy and created runs, so I'll be sanding those down flush and as soon as I'm able to, I will do one last light coat of clear.

I didn't go to the launch today. Forecast was for steady rain. I'm going there Saturday. Scattered showers. Today I've been getting my stuff together and got two Av Bays set up. Loaded the truck. I'm taking the Pringles rocket, the Chicken rocket, the Priority Mail rocket, the Tarantula rocket also some regular rockets. I'm taking a night flyer incase I can fly it.
@teepot I dont know if you have left yet but as a heads up there is standing water all across the lake bed.

I asked Tom Van Milligan yesterday what he thought about the new Estes launch pad. He hasn’t seen it yet. Today I discovered our sponsor bought one. The metal is more impressive than the catalog photo but the plastic parts not so much.

View attachment 635750
Any opportunities to modify to beef it up?

Went to the local chapter NAR launch for the first time. Which is at NASA Houston. Kinda cool. Six good flights, even though it was windy with a low ceiling. All great guys there. I think we were the only people who weren't ARC competitors trying to make a qualifying flight.

One team burned its rocket down on the pad. I was told it was determined that they had failed to properly tighten the forward closure on an F39. Hope that's a lesson that sticks with each of them, and that they recover and make some successful flights by the deadline.

Slinging paint. Tried KryLon, Ace, and Upole paint. Now trying Rusto 2x…man it stays stick for a while! Black plate hanging is for my jawstand launch pad; will finish with High Temp Engine Clear Coat.

IMG_0401.jpeg

Also got final touches on some others…primer tomorrow…
IMG_0402.jpeg

Last edited:
Spent the day flying with VAST. Second time flying a G motor and first time using a JLCR. Sure is nice to not have to walk so far to recover my rocket.
Did a little bit of sanding on a Minnie Mag centering rings to ensure the fins fit into them.

Latest posts

Back