What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My latest creation, made from some free tubing from the last Desert Heat. An 85% down scale of the estes mean machine. A friend 3d printed a nosecone for me. I finally got around to finishing it. Colored electrical tape and pinstripes for decoration. Tough enough to fly any 24 mm motor I can shove in it.

Attachments

• PXL_20240102_165044759.jpg
    PXL_20240102_165044759.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240102_145528540.jpg
    PXL_20240102_145528540.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240102_165128285.jpg
    PXL_20240102_165128285.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240102_165054952.jpg
    PXL_20240102_165054952.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
I mean the only bad thing is the 2 mile range, but that range is a radius, thats a huge area really. I just need to be mindful not to go past the 2 miles anyway up or out from the hand unit.
What's up got to do with it? (Cue Tina Turner.) If the rocket lands within two miles of you, what does it matter if it's gone out of range vertically at apogee?

Been wanting the Estes 36 Double D.
Hey, this is a family forum!

I'll be going down that route too, a 3D printer for sure I've been looking for a while. Very cool, it's definitely worth it. I'm going to gwtba laser cutter too. I'm still looking, its hard to decide.
I'd have a laser cutter already if not for the price of decent ones. I'm thinking that a CNC router may be a better route, since it can do most or all of what I want a laser cutter for, and at a small fraction of the price.

Happy New Year, about 2 more hours and 49 mins here. Then it 20 days until my 41st..
The 20th of the 21st? (My sister's is the 20th.)

I'm amazed at how many people are doing 3D printing. Don't you have to be good at CAD drawing?
I used to be terrified of anything requiring 3D CAD, as I have poor hand-eye coordination which makes it hard to draw anything with any quality, and because I could never get the hang of moving and rotating objects with six degrees of freedom using a 2D mouse. (Shift|Alt|Ctrl)×(left-right|up-down) = six directions, or one can use left and right mouse buttons, but I just never could get the hang of it.

Then I discovered that most modern CAD software is parametric, meaning I can type in the dimensions I need instead of trying to draw them. I still struggle with moving and rotating, but I've been able to do a couple of decent things while in a class, and I'm pretty sure I could do more if I had to.

(Sadly, these things are still pretty expensive.)

I've also benefitted from discovering OpenSCAD, because thinking that way comes naturally to me.

What pipe? That's a 6" motor casing
From Hobby Lobby?

Last edited:
What's up got to do with it? (Cue Tina Turner.) If the rocket lands within two miles of you, what does it matter if it's gone out of range vertically at apogee?

I'd have a laser cutter already if not for the price of decent ones. I'm thinking that a CNC router may be a better route, since it can do most or all of what I want a laser cutter for, and at a small fraction of the price.

I used to be terrified of anything requiring 3D CAD, as I have poor hand-eye coordination which makes it hard to draw anything with any quality, and because I could never get the hang of moving and rotating objects with six degrees of freedom using a 2D mouse. (Shift|Alt|Ctrl)×(left-right|up-down) = six directions, or one can use left and right mouse buttons, but I just never could get the hang of it.

Then I discovered that most modern CAD software is parametric, meaning I can type in the dimensions I need instead of trying to draw them. I still struggle with moving and rotating, but I've been able to do a couple of decent things while in a class, and I'm pretty sure I could do more if I had to.

I've also benefitted from discovering OpenSCAD, because thinking that way comes naturally to me.

From Hobby Lobby?
Depends on your hobbies lobby...

From Hobby Lobby?
I'll try to answer all you asked me, the only issue. If it goes out of the 2 mile range. It disconnects, and you have to link the 2 units again for it to track. If it's a "clear line of sight", that gives you 2 miles.

Thats 10,560 feet, I'm still looking at Mach immunity, but its crash resistant, under warranty from Eureka for 90 days. I love this Marco Polo unit. First thing to come to mind picking it, was that 2 mile range. For 2 reasons, one. I know if I go past that range. Now if it be 10,560 feet out, feet 15 feet off the ground. Or 10,560 feet almost directly straight up.

So when I looked at the Featherweight stuff, Missileworks, etc...I knew I'd need a laptop or I'd have to buy one a LCD screen/USB IO, whatever I need to use it. With the price of those, and if my L2 cert flight goes bad. Anything fragile is done. Not to mention, I've seen many have successful L2 certs not even got past 1,500 feet. With this in mind, this past year trying to(or last year now. Happy 2024!) plan for my L2 kept looking and asking to see what's best to start with getting into High Power.

But my idea was to go watch guys that are successful, and "duh 😆 " talk to them. I did that, about the rockets and all trackers used that had successful recoveries. September 10th we went up to URRG in NY to see that field and watch them fly high power. To get an idea of how they all flew(sizes/stability), by asking different rocketeers where they where landing, how high they went, what size drouge, what motor, SD OR DD, of DD what altimeter, what's the main set for? etc....Every thing I needed to have better chances of a successful L1/L2 cert. I knew I had to make it bigger so you see it, make it heavy so it stays low, and use a motor enough to take it up and let come right back down.

Ill add 1010 and 1515 buttons in case I need the extra rail length. It won't be more than 12/13 lbs w/o the motor. I don't have a final weight, so I can't really sim it. But I bought a bigger rocket not to be like "look at this giant big bird". I actually need it to be successful. I'm getting to the point, they past fews weeks have been ridiculous. I'm explaining a little more this time, as I used to do.

Back the 2 miles, that 2 miles is a radius. If I'm in the middle of it. Or 100, 200, or more from the base unit to the tracker. A 2 mile radius is a 4 mile diameter area with a 10,560 foot "hemispheric ceiling". If I said that correctly. But if it's in that range, it will still stay connected. Some guys said its their rockets landed behind a small hill or bluff. Then walking around it, it connected again. But if it goes out of range you have to manually link them again. I may never go past 8,000 ft ASL even L3. This Marco Polo unit is under warranty too. Granted not misuse, but warranty if something goes wrong its easy to get it replaced. Some have said ive wasted my money, or it's not a real tracker. Ugh...

Man, for me it's perfect. I love low power, or fits in my Crossfire ISX nosecone and its gonna make sure just in case a larger rocket on a smaller motor would play hide and seek, that I won't be as stressed out. I keep getting comments(Not you, family has had some bad medical issues the past few weeks along with myself. But I'm doing my best to share some info to help others over a post thats says "mail call" because its hectic here, apologies. Bare with me I'm almost done.)about what I mentioned. To me I think it's all I may ever need, I know some say "buy a good one the first time". I kinda feel like I did?

I'm still looking at Laser Engravers, I've been looking at the CNC routers too. But a few guys have Metal Laser Engravers that can cut through a half inch of wood no problem. So what they do is just buy a decent Laser Engraver I've seen from $600 to $1000 for a really good one. That would cut 1/8", 1/4", 1/2" wood exactly how you need it. Im still looking into it.

January 20th, Michael B.

I'll try to answer all you asked me, the only issue. If it goes out of the 2 mile range. It disconnects, and you have to link the 2 units again for it to track. If it's a "clear line of sight", that gives you 2 miles.

Thats 10,560 feet, I'm still looking at Mach immunity, but its crash resistant, under warranty from Eureka for 90 days. I love this Marco Polo unit. First thing to come to mind picking it, was that 2 mile range. For 2 reasons, one. I know if I go past that range. Now if it be 10,560 feet out, feet 15 feet off the ground. Or 10,560 feet almost directly straight up.

Back the 2 miles, that 2 miles is a radius. If I'm in the middle of it. Or 100, 200, or more from the base unit to the tracker. A 2 mile radius is a 4 mile diameter area with a 10,560 foot "hemispheric ceiling". If I said that correctly. But if it's in that range, it will still stay connected. Some guys said its their rockets landed behind a small hill or bluff. Then walking around it, it connected again. But if it goes out of range you have to manually link them again. I may never go past 8,000 ft ASL even L3. This Marco Polo unit is under warranty too. Granted not misuse, but warranty if something goes wrong its easy to get it replaced. Some have said ive wasted my money, or it's not a real tracker. Ugh...

Man, for me it's perfect. I love low power, or fits in my Crossfire ISX nosecone and its gonna make sure just in case a larger rocket on a smaller motor would play hide and seek, that I won't be as stressed out. I keep getting comments(Not you, family has had some bad medical issues the past few weeks along with myself. But I'm doing my best to share some info to help others over a post thats says "mail call" because its hectic here, apologies. Bare with me I'm almost done.)about what I mentioned. To me I think it's all I may ever need, I know some say "buy a good one the first time". I kinda feel like I did?
I may be completely misunderstanding this, since it's not how my (Eggfinder) trackers work. If you go out of range and then come back into range, the unit won't update its location until you find the transmitter again and re-pair it with the ground station? If so, that's a moderate negative, though of course it depends on how high it flies. It would probably be a good idea to set the transmitter at your house, drive 2 miles away, and see if it re-connects when you get close. If it doesn't re-connect, you'll obviously want to be pretty conservative about the altitude you're flying to. Just accidentally deploying the main at apogee could let a rocket drift quite a ways.

The trackers I'm used to will reconnect as soon as they're back in range. That gives me a lot more comfort as it goes behind a hill...

Had a few minutes to kill before I could complete my business next door to Hobby Lobby. Wandered over to troll the clearance aisle. Found an unused but open/damaged-box return Estes E Launch Controller for $3.99. Guess I won't be bothering to upgrade the spare red one I have sitting around.

I may be completely misunderstanding this, since it's not how my (Eggfinder) trackers work. If you go out of range and then come back into range, the unit won't update its location until you find the transmitter again and re-pair it with the ground station? If so, that's a moderate negative, though of course it depends on how high it flies. It would probably be a good idea to set the transmitter at your house, drive 2 miles away, and see if it re-connects when you get close. If it doesn't re-connect, you'll obviously want to be pretty conservative about the altitude you're flying to. Just accidentally deploying the main at apogee could let a rocket drift quite a ways.

The trackers I'm used to will reconnect as soon as they're back in range. That gives me a lot more comfort as it goes behind a hill...

You don't need to be at the transmitter to re-sync it. You simply need to be in range and press the button on the hand held device to re-sync it.

I may be completely misunderstanding it too, Ill keep it short(its long I apologize 😞).

I'm really disabled, I had a "career ending" injury at 29 years old(here I go again please bare with me). I'm going on 41, things are going better but im still not out of the woods. Not that anyone needs hear my issues, but it helps explain things a little more and usually not many questions. It more of a heres just one guys thoughts to a tracker that's either been "a waste of money", that was from the forum a few days go. And then was "youre not thinking ahead", "You're don't know your taking about". You know, some of the relies that you'll get about every time with no matter what you share or ask. It just got here last week on almost stepped on it going to a drs appr. But I was able to test it a little, like I did with a cheap pet tracker I had. I'm going to do exactly like you said with testing it. My situation is no more than im living with my mother and her wonderful boyfriend 30 mins from her house, she legally owns that I've resided in since 2000 with the exception of leaving town to work on making my life a little better. To come home, to some problems so to speak.

I had not built, painted flown, or even looked a rocket until this May. When I was hurt at UPS in 2012. It was just the perfect storm of just the most random, unexpected, very undeserved 10 plus years of just extreme sadness and pain, to almost death some of which im lucky im lucky I buckled up first because life had taken me for a ride. Last May I was very unsure of how I would physically respond to doing this again. I've had a few hobbies I've tried to do to help me through this but none have given me the drive to get out of bed like rocketry has especially now. A week after I started building I had a 5 day hospital admission from food poisoning.

During that stay, I was reading about rocketry again. Starting to browse the forum, joined a few Facebook pages, and just watched videos to see what people are using now. The drone tracker wasn't my first choice back in June at all. But, the one thing I did notice or see about it, as I was searching the sites daily for hours, was the prices of the kits. I also kept looking the ranges, battery life, user friendliness, or what does it need to work? I wanted an independent tracker that would work for my low, mid, and maybe its all ill need. If that's the case I saved $100, for a real tracker that has a warranty with a model rocket on the box.

Like I said, this wasn't my first choice back in June. I started looking at Eggfinder things first, I even watched a 48 min step by step youtube video of someone assembling one. I knew I could do for sure. One thing I saw, its some building them and they don't work at all, some were off location by over 100 feet while it was pointing the other way. I'm thinking a bigger rocket would be ok of you had a general direction you'll see it. Here, 10 feet away and you can lose it. Other thing was mentioned about is that during launch days people are always losing signal. As like with most of these claims is people that don't know how to read. So, keep in mind this mid June now 2023. I'm back home from hospital, starting to get really into a scratch built L1 I bought the parts from Rocketryworks for. So looking at trackers, I buy a chute release too because why not? But I still wasn't sure what would be the best for me as far a tracker. I may not go high power. Do I need one for my L1 cert? If I need a GPS tracker for an L1 cert I may need to rethink it, I did. I'm glad that research paid off. All of that last summer was focused on myself being successful at the L1 cert. I was. Now, I may as well attempt the L2 cert it would open a wide range of motors.

I chose it, because it physically fits in my smallest(BT-50 Nosecone)low power rocket which was unexpected for that small. I was thinking Cherokee-E and up sized tubes. I haven't tested it to extremes yet as I always do. But I've been very busy and just haven't really had the time until now. I was on disability, but im trying to get back to work after 10 years. I can't not work anymore. I need to try and work a few more years until I can't.

. Lately, well about the past 2 months I told myself if I earned the L1 I would take a break until I got hired at a job. Well, for the first time in 10 years. Its looking better, a job is pending at Walmartl, 😆. After applying, for hundreds over the last decade. My doctors theory was in 2014, I was pretty bad physically. He saw me at Home Depot and wanted me to apply for long term disability. He knew it would take me a long time if I did recover to be able to work again, so for now he wanted me to go on full disability. I wanted to work, but agreed it was better at the time. That was another 5 years of my life attempting something on a daily basis that just failed in the end horribly. It left me broke and filing for bankruptcy at 35. I've been doing my best to keep positive. Its not been very easy, especially when I'm trying to learn about this more just for the love of it . But the past two months I wanted a job, thats all I've ever wanted. Wake up, smile, go make money, come home, eat food, sleep, then repeat. Weekends go have fun.

But it didn't work oit like that yet, it will. im exhausted. I've also been having a hard time with degenerative disk disease and severe back spasms. So I've been pretty much in bed the past few days. Its usually solved with one trip to chiropractor but its been so locked so bad up its taken almost 3 trips and I'm still not aligned. It sucks, I apologize I needed to vent, thats been getting at me. Or this, I've been so busy. But also trying to learn while taking a little build/fly winter break.

I'm going to do what you said hopefully this week, I need my mom or her boyfriend to help me but that not gonna happen if she doesn't have a driver's license. I'm pretty much going to find a spot, or I'll just go walk 2 miles from the base unit. I may drive a route with tracker and leave the base here. Put it where I know it's at or have them just drive and put somewhere about 2.5 miles away. I'm slowy trying to give you a response or gain some information myself.

I've seen that the Eggfinder can disconnect or go out of range, but as you said once its in range it will reconnect or link back up. Now, from what I've seen and been told about these MP. Is you can lose signal while its still in range, like small hill or a table top/plateau of sorts. Something soild earthy to disrupt the "line of sight" saying that goes with the MP. Now, I haven't experimented hard-core with yet. By that I mean I'll test every worse possible scenario times 3.

I've asked a few people in the past few week that have said they have then too and love them. I had never really looked at them in detail because I didn't have too. While I've seen it specifically labeled as "Drone" tracker, is also physically labeled a "Pet Tracker" or a device to track model rockets. So, my thoughts about purchasing this was it small enough to fit in my Crossfire, but enough to keep tabs on my L2 should she curious about any tree lines. I'm sure someone has probably answered back by now I've been typing this an hour. You have a button on the base unit, well one base can track 3 independent trackers at the same time. A few months ago I got a cheap GPS tracker, you had to link that with the base(my phone)within a certain range. So once this is connected, I've even asked guys does it reconnect automatically if you go past 10,560 feet? They say you have to link it back up. But that's just holding a button down, 1,2, or 3 to link them. So if it would stay within 1000 feet of the pad, if it went to 17,000. Id have to link them. I'm finding out what that range has to be ill let you know.

Because my thoughts are, what goes up must come down, right? So thats what I want to find out is once it's connected. I know you'll have to be in 2 mile range, but not sure how close it has to be or if it's 2 miles you walk towards where it went. I'm not going to fly it to find out, lol. I'm not sure if they have to be linked within a certain range or not. Even though some trackers are nothing but GPS chips, you still need to be within range to make that Bluetooth connection. Many have these and love them, I do too. It may be all I really do need. Ill update.

Thank you, Michael B.

I may be completely misunderstanding this, since it's not how my (Eggfinder) trackers work. If you go out of range and then come back into range, the unit won't update its location until you find the transmitter again and re-pair it with the ground station? If so, that's a moderate negative,
I would call that more than "moderate negative"; I'd call it a major design flaw.

I would call that more than "moderate negative"; I'd call it a major design flaw.
To me, its not really a flaw, if they tell you it has a 2 mile range. I need to be mindful of this. Some aren't, those are the ones running around wondering why they lost signal at 12,000 feet asking where did my $1,000 rocket go!? To, using a proven great tracker and forgetting to turn on the batteries. A few things influenced this purchase for myself.

The ones who realize if it goes out range, know you are probably going to lose it, just like they do. It really depends on what and where you fly. What the terrain is like, or how high you plan to go. I'm not going to be someone that constantly pushes the envelope either so something more expensive wasn't practical or needed.

I even waited until after my L1 to get this to still search, I didn't think I would need or want one at all. I look at it, as it has a warranty, Its very easy to use, it has USB charging ports so I could charge it at the range if need be. The only limitation is that 2 mile limit or range. It also keeps me in check not to be dumb, if I get anywhere close to 8,000ft. I'm getting one with a longer range for sure, but this works for now.

Just to define terms: if a given undesirable and avoidable characteristic of design is documented, then it's a design flaw; if it contradicts the documentation, then it's a bug; if not documented either way, then it's debatable, but a design flaw at best. The limited range is neither, since there's bound to be a limit, and they tell you what it is. The requirement to go through a pairing procedure every time it goes out of range then back is a design flaw, in my opinion.

Just to define terms: if a given undesirable and avoidable characteristic of design is documented, then it's a design flaw; if it contradicts the documentation, then it's a bug; if not documented either way, then it's debatable, but a design flaw at best. The limited range is neither, since there's bound to be a limit, and they tell you what it is. The requirement to go through a pairing procedure every time it goes out of range then back is a design flaw, in my opinion.

Well, after thinking about it. I agree it's a flaw, and here's my thoughts on that. The flaw how you are referring to it though is human error, or lack of knowledge about what they are using. I may be wrong, please correct ANYTHING that is with the exception of grammar errors or words that look like this "ywsgaoontrytoteldhdh" because there was some kind of medical issue here.

After countless hours in the hospital over the over the course of 5 days back in June, plus many more hours after researching even more. This was when I decided to go high power or give it an attempt. I starting wondering about dual deployment, altimeters, and GPS trackers. I started here at the forum, then Googled all of them one at time. I read as much of the information they had on the main pages. Then downloaded instructions and read them a few more times from boredom. But I looked all the owners manuals for Eggfinder, Featherweight, Missileworks, or KATE by Multironix. They are nice, I mean top notch. But they also can fail if your not careful too. All of them can, with KATE being the hardest one to shake. I even found a $8 GPS pet tracker on Amazon that worked, but it kept breaking. Oh well.

But here's what my thoughts getting into low power rocketry then back to mid and high power build for my L1 cert flight. For my L1 I thought I probably wouldn't need a tracker because it simmed to 1500 ft. I had gone to URRG in September to check it out. After that went back on 11/4/23, did the L1 attempt, and was L1 certified. So after finding out too you don't need DD for an L2, as I hadn't paid attention to those rules at that time. I thought why not? Many things were based on a successful L1 certification then what I'd do after. So being successful, even though it had a freak ejection with things correct. I said I'd go L2, even more so Interested now in going L3 eventually.

So I've been waiting for a tracker, for one the money, and two to see what I'd chose for my L2. As well just to be sure I'd even need one. Well I've been wanting one to keep track of low power ones. They truly are the ones I will be certain to lose the most. So with that in mind, I picked up a Marco Polo Drone Tracker off Amazon for $280 shipped to my door with a warranty from Eureka. This decision was based on many hours, over the course of several months until 2 weeks ago when I ordered one.

After looking at all of them the Marco Polo was perfect for me. While it does say it has a 2 mile range its not really a design flaw, its a great feature to me. I wanted one that was independent, and able to withstand a flight from a launch g-force to a hard jirbr ballistic landing. After seeing people succeed or fail even doing it correctly I picked the Marco Polo with one tracker for now, until I see how the cert flight goes.

The Marco Polo is a independent tracker that uses a base unit or transponder/transmitter that you link to a tracker. It doesn't require any wifi or internet connection. It doesn't rely on any Satellites for GPS, laptops, or cell phones if it be iPhone or Android to track from the hand held base. Its also comes ready to use with a slight charge, it has crash protection which is what caught my eye to first back in June. But its got half a chance of survival should anything go wrong on the L2 certification flight.

Each MP base unit comes with the ability to have and track three independent trackers at the same time. Given they stay within the two mile radius. If it goes out of that range of 2 miles then it automatically will disconnect that tracker whether its number 1, 2, or 3. It does this because its a built in fail-safe. When it goes out of that 2 mile or 10,560 foot range(I'm gonna test this). Or it goes out of a preset range you can set manually anywhere. Within the 2 mile range in monitoring mode for all 3 trackers independently, with different parameters or distances from the base unit to one or three trackers at a time.

The Marco Polo unit does this for a reason as its a multipurpose tracker. Meaning Dogs, Cats, birds(with feathers), RC Planes, Model Rockets, RC Helicopter, Drones. .So when any of those go out of that 2 mile range it tells you right away. You need to notice the last know arrow direction, because you knowingly went out of range it disconnects completely. The owners manual also says how to retrieve it should this happen and lists causes.

I read this stuff before I even purchased it. The box just confirmed it for that it was really perfect. Because, while it was limited to that 2 miles. I started to think about that too, with a rocket on the pad. At URRGs field in the fingerlakes region of NY, and how the MP would be a good first buy. I didn't plan on my L2 really having a tracker, but then with the price of it compared to a featherweight it was $100 plus change for the full Featherweight system. Which is a good system to have if you're going higher than a Marco Polo will support, ever. It didn't make sense to get the full Featherweight tracking system. When I'm serious when I say I may not need it.

My L2 won't be going higher than 2,500 feet. In that range having a dedicated independent tracker that didn't rely on using satellites to track its position. Or have to use a laptop, desktop, or cell Phone to rely on getting your rocket back. When the Marco Polo is connected to any one of the 3 trackers it can monitor at the same time with preset warning alarms for each one. They all have a built in fail-safe that automatically disconnects and sounds 1, 2, or 3 of those at the same time, that are all waterproof, crash resistant, under warranty, ready to use, non-placement specific trackers. I decided to get the one base unit and one tracker. A tracker too was $104 for a new tracker with a USB charging cord.

I bought the one, to see how I would like it. So far I love it. Because it's an independent tracker and doesn't use a satellite and rely on a cell phone and or computer for it to work. Like I said that 2 mile range, which that's a 4 mile diameter, 10,560 feet up with the base unit and tracker in the dead center. With the exception being 100ft or 200 ft back, or more from the pad you need to factor that distance in too. So because the MP is an independent tracker, and by independent it only uses the head unit and the tracker or trackers to find location.

Now(here's my thinking)if I use the single tracker with the base unit. Once you pair them you put the tracker in the rocket, this one will go in the Av Bay. It won't interfere with any other electronics. The rocket goes on the rod. I verify its still tracking or I can put it in monitor mode. I'm still reading about this, as its in the paperback manual. But I can set a preset distance with the tracker so an alarm goes off on the base unit, but it still tracks until the max distance. You can shut the preset alarm off. Or set it for 2 distances. So, when my rocket passes 3,000, but not 5,000 it will tell me. It will also point to the direction of the tracker as long as it stays within that max range.

My rocket has left the pad, it didn't CATO and destroy a Featherweight Tracker, Missileworks Tracker, or KATE. If you've read the Multironix instruction manuals and the downloads they have. You know KATE is a pretty trusted system, like Featherweight, and Missileworks. While the Featherweight full system is a great system, it wasn't for me. That system uses a base unit and a tracker just like the Marco Polo, it also has a limit of 262,000 feet! 49.2 miles.

While its the exact same principle Featherweight, Missileworks, and Multironix use with a base unit/tracker. The only exception is those 3 use satellites to help locate your model rocket. Which is cool, but had me thinking. Because in realizing laying there reading this, confused by a few things because guys had questions about whats the best. I like to help, plus I needed to know that the Featherweight system while its great. Even though you paired the tracker and head unit which with the Featherweight it also still has a range just like the Marco Polo it can go out of, Like the Missileworks GPS at 262,000 feet. Or, the Featherweight may lose signal and not pick you flying rocket up at all. They tell you this right on Featherweights many information pages.

While Featherweight has a LONG range of 262,000 feet, which is as you know 49 miles up. To some L3s thats average. Now, my L2 that's about $800 ready to fly. Why $800, because the correct parts based on just reading websites. I'd know then, that a Featherweight can also loose signal at certain range like the Marco Polo. Its just not as far and doesn't rely on a, or many Satellites to find the rocket.

Featherweight GPS. It works the same way as the Marco Polo but uses GPS equipment that may or may not have a pin on your rocket at all. Then it leaves the rod, and if you don't see it land or have a good direction that rocket and GPS, is gone for good. Now not only do you have to buy a new tracker you lost a rocket.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240103-004450_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240103-004450_Chrome.jpg
    566.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240103-000503_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240103-000503_Drive.jpg
    685.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240103-003917_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240103-003917_Chrome.jpg
    557 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240103-003518_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240103-003518_Chrome.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240103-001044_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240103-001044_Chrome.jpg
    455.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240103-001034_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240103-001034_Chrome.jpg
    650 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240103-000919_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240103-000919_Chrome.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240102-235648_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240102-235648_Drive.jpg
    443.7 KB · Views: 0
Part 2:

I'm not bashing any companies they tell you how these work. But they all have flaws even KATE. That has to be in the nosecone, a certain direction, in a certain enclosure. Those are beautiful trackers, they are by far my Favorite. But, I don't need it right now. It also works the same way as the Featherweight and MW RTX GPS. It has some crazy features too. When its at or around the level that satellites are, at. So if I start going past 7,000/8,000 ft. Ill know right then, as the presets and alarms will tell me.

I don't plan to go that high, I've thought about that too a little bit. The reason when you pair the Marco Polo with a tracker or many if they land behind a barn, a tree, a car, in a ditch, or like here on PA. A 1/4 mile away are rolling hills. Next to a very large field in Potter that has a very awesome club. With a waiver cherished for the NE. When it falls behind any of those things, it still has a fain't signal and connection to the Marco Polo. They tell you this with Featherweight too. If this happens you navigate around whatever it may be. But it tracks through this old house no issue. That tells me flat land with trees should be no problem, as long as I stay within that 2 mile range. If it should loose signal, or have a weak signal. It also warns you as well as in the tracker itself. For locating it by ear.

Because just like the Featherweight if goes out of range it also disconnects. But, if its still in range, it just has a weak or no signal. But it picks up a weak or low signal. It just can't tell direction until you get around that thing. Could be a barn, cars, a hill, trees. Whatever that is there blocking or reflecting the signal and its just not strong enough to track it directly but it knows its still there. Until you walk around it or over it(hill).

Some will say just buy the Featherweight in the place instead of wasting your money buying one thats not a "real" tracker like the Marco Polo is. I have a hard time understanding those replies to my purchase with my intentions. The Marco Polo like the Featherweight has a line of sight also! It's just 47 more miles, you may not even begin to have a location starting right at ignition too. The Marco Polo always will if its charged properly. The Featherweights bouncing of satellites if it has a good enough signal. Which is also another reason I drove 5 hours, to watch. The Featherweight tracker battery lasts about 16 hours, the Marco Polo tracker lasts about 15 days.

I feel I made the right decision, I can always go up. If needed.

Michael B.

Last edited:
Well, after thinking about it. I agree it's a flaw, and here's my thoughts on that... [long winded reply]
Here are a couple more points of clarification:
  1. I'm by no means trying to tell you that the Marco Polo was a bad choice. It does indeed seem to meet your needs. One design flaw does not make it a bad product.
  2. I suspect, and hope, that you've misunderstood "disconnect", and that re-pairing is not necessary, so that flaw may not be real. You've already stated you're going to test it; please let us know how it goes.
  3. But if it is true, wow! What about when you take the dog to the vet and leave the base unit at home, then have to go through the pairing procedure? What a pain in the neck!
  4. I wonder how it works without GPS. I suppose it could be using a sophisticated, miniature phased array to simulate a scanning antenna like the rotating radar antennas one sees. That seems like it would be pretty expensive, so maybe there's a simpler answer that I'm just not seeing. But I digress.
  5. Point of information: 49 miles is far above "average" for anybody's L3. It's most of the way to space; NASA and the US DoD define the edge of space at 50 miles, and the internationally recognized edge is at 100 km (about 62 miles). The highest altitude I could find on the TRA web site using commercially available motors (or research motors with similar total impulse) is 154,068 feet, which is a little over 29 miles. But I digress again.

finally after 8 days of being sick, i started on my Zephyr. built the MMT, tacked in the fins, mounted the rail guides, attached the shock cord.

i'll start the epoxying today..

Attachments

• 20240103_071953.jpg
    20240103_071953.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240103_071936.jpg
    20240103_071936.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240103_071923.jpg
    20240103_071923.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I may be completely misunderstanding it too, Ill keep it short(its long I apologize 😞).
I didn't do a good job of explaining my intent. I wasn't in any way questioning your purchase of the MP unit; I was just trying to understand its function. Everyone in the hobby has their own budget points and physical/local/field limitations, and I don't mean to cast shade on anyone for making choices that aren't the ones I made. The assemble-it-yourself-for-somewhat-less-money aspect of the Eggtimer line appeals to me, but I know that not everyone can do that. Likewise, a Kate or Featherweight system may be nominally better for what I'm doing, but the Egg stuff works fine for me. when I said that it was a moderate negative, I meant that in terms of how useful it would be to the general rocketry community, not necessarily to you. Heck, it's entirely possible that if there are fewer people using MP units, there is less clutter on the airwaves and you have an easier time getting the rocket back. So it might be good for you if it's less useful to other people.

If I had a MP unit, I'd want to understand what happens to it on leaving the 2-mile range limit so that I could have the best chance of getting a wildly errant rocket back. It sounds like you're planning on doing that, so it's all good.

I don't agree at all. First of all, it doesn't sound like the MP units were designed for rocketry to begin with, so our use cases aren't everyone's use cases. Second, if they're cutting the price of the tracker unit by using some technology other than GPS, they may well be bound by that technology. Not to mention that a 2-mile range could be extremely useful in rocketry if your home field has a 3000-ft waiver and is surrounded by soybeans or buckwheat.

It is designed to conserve the tracker battery and mentioned as a feature in the Drone tracking specs. The tracker will stay silent and not waste power TXing beacons until it hears the hand held device's request to beacon again. That way if you don't get back till the next day it isn't dead.

I don't agree at all. First of all, it doesn't sound like the MP units were designed for rocketry to begin with, so our use cases aren't everyone's use cases. Second, if they're cutting the price of the tracker unit by using some technology other than GPS, they may well be bound by that technology. Not to mention that a 2-mile range could be extremely useful in rocketry if your home field has a 3000-ft waiver and is surrounded by soybeans or buckwheat.
It is designed to conserve the tracker battery and mentioned as a feature in the Drone tracking specs. The tracker will stay silent and not waste power TXing beacons until it hears the hand held device's request to beacon again. That way if you don't get back till the next day it isn't dead.
Again, I'm not talking about the limit on range; that's inevitable at some distance or other, and I don't see anything wrong with 2 miles. And to cease transmitting while not in range as a battery saving measure is a great idea.

@86mustang408w's statement has been that it will not resume transmitting until it is in hand and one repeats the pairing process as if it were fresh out of the box. So it can go 2.1 miles away, you walk a half mile in the right general direction, and you don't get the signal back, so you don't find the rocket, your plane, your dog, your child, or whatever you've attached the tracker to. Or it's 1.5 miles up and 1.5 miles downrange, so it stops transmitting, then comes down 1.75 miles from you and still not transmitting. Or your dog runs out of the house, goes two miles away, comes half way home, but you've still got no signal. That might not be the case, and he's going to test it. But it's that which I called a major design flaw. That's my strongly held, not so humble opinion, and I'm sticking to it. :)

I understand all of this, thank you. It wasn't an attack on you, or anyone else. I've always just wanted to succeed, or help. No more, sometimes less. While I myself, am only a NAR "L1. At 40, after joining 2 clubs for the first time ever after 10 very bad years, some all my fault. Much none of my control. I really want no more then to really see others succeed. But, with the way life has been. Again the past few weeks, not oh I'm upset.

I finally have the time, I've read some things, and with the amount that I've struggling from literally being paralalaized to not knowing what glue really is better for rocketry. If the yellow colored adhesive or 5 or 30 mins curing epoxy isn't as strong as the material you are trying to bond, why search for a better glue or epoxy?

So, this all has a point. Usually when I respond to or ask a question, or share information. I like to tell you everything I've tried and done from day one, so we can figure this out to be successful. I'm extremely happy, as I've always said. The right guys. Or L1, L2, L3, or some guys that have only flown power for now almost 34 years. Come back into the hobby maybe after a 10 year break, of which they didn't ask for, 30 miles from anything he owns, severely depressed, again. Because when I was injured at a good job 10 years ago that I fought to the point of my own life trying to keep. Then find rocketry again, he starts small. Starts sharing on pages if they are run by Estes or no on Facebook. This isn't a self pity or poor me story. Whatever happened, is in the past. I'm just really struggling to the of living on $100 every 2 weeks. A Pennsylvania disability judge literally denied me full disability. Because when I had the injury it was a career ending injury that I chose to take a buyout.

I'll continue this shortly. I'm not angry, I'm actually very happy and thankful you took the time to answer, or comment. I have to do a few things(this is an issue)so I can come back and resond more. Why I'm saying all this is because I really want to learn. I want to know, I want to be corrected. Having medical issue myself, now living with family that has severe issues. I didn't fall asleep until 5am. While none of this was torwards yourself(And I truly and sorry of i offended you, I mean. I am sorry.)

But, with that all said, I like solutions to problems. Not more problems, from a problem. I will answer the rest, I just need a little bit I only have my Android, which is getting to me too..I will answer what you asked me. This is what I'm trying to say. All I want is to learn, to try difficult techniques, find out what works, and what doesn't. But lately I haven't had the time more than "I got this today", over something rocketry or rocket related. I had to delete 10,000 words from my response too. I realized last night sitting here typing for 3 hours on this little phone. Because I was trying to rack my brain to throw out some information.

While you have been very respectful and polite, some others aren't. I get that, dealt with this my entire especially making 350 customers very happy between 2 guys, 6 hours, and 300 stops before you start pickups at your 15 min allowance for pickup windows. Everything I do, I love dearly. I want to succeed. Ill answer your questions shortly but wanted to write all of this to say it wasn't geared at you. Its rough waking up, when you finally happy after 10 years. Then you look at your 6 year old Android to see someone else has said "you don't know what you're doing", "you're not going to succeed", "you can't do that".

I agree for certain tasks and goals, yeah. But when I just want to help, and post(again not you, this is months of not being able to fully say what I need to say, to be successful. You didn't tell me it was a bad choice, thank you!
That was number one .

#2. I understand disconnect can mean many things. Which is what I wanted answers, I've been asking guys about these. Now, like the Marco Polo unit. When I say 2 miles, or disconnect. It goes back to a cheaper pet tracker i bought, even posted on here to see how it would work. It was 8 bux off Amazon, now. Having my history of electronics, researching, then looking and testing. This tracker, was a GPS "pet" or vehicle tracker, whatever.

Now, it claimed you could link it under wifi, (like the Featherweight, Missileworks, KATE) with an established internet connection, after you download the free App. Well, low and behold. It worked the first night I used it. I couldn't believe it. The issue, because it was a cheaper electronic, when I actually, and accidentally dropped in down the stairs, it stopped working. Now, all it would do, is pair or not pair my phone with this chip. Then I got a new one, that one didn't work from the start. I was lucky and bought 2, that one again worked for a very short time. So tracking anything with this non monthly fee $8 tracker wasn't a good idea. I had read all the information that was cureent, down to downloading Featherweight, and KATE schematics to see how beautifully they are engineered, and executed. With this is mind. After I was successful with my L1 certification, I thought it would be smart to attempt L2 right away. Then, if successful. I already have a Dragon Claw that was sent to me by "Papa Elf", off of the Secret Santa. He had asked me if I wanted to Participate in SS, as I met him this year at the first SPAAR meet. He had a 3D printed Porta-Potty, that flies on 24mm motors.

Back to L2, after going to URRG and just scouting, observing, or asking questions, I still had some questions about the MP unit as I knew it was made for drones, but it has the 2 mile "range", which of you picture a rocket an a 1010 rail, as I did. Your holding a base unit that doesn't rely on satellites to make sure you don't lose your rocket. I mean when I say I did some reading, I just sat in the hospital reading web pages, watching videos, seeing who is successful, and why. Who had issues, what they were, and if they diagnosed or found/fixed it.

I know you mean by disconnect, from my understanding and the reading I've done. Is the Marco Polo is the same thing as KATE, with one "maybe" flaw depending human error. That human error is im trying to see. Now, I was a little cautious about spending $265 for a brand new "toy" I may never use, or only use. My thinking was about the 49.2 miles, because if you don't go over that altitude you don't need KATE. KATE, is stored in a specific nosecone, and Multironix tells you that, any carbon fiber near those electronics or in the nose, or the nosecone itself is made of carbon fiber you may fail.

I brought up the 262,000 ft or 49.2 miles as that is the range of the Featherweight that if you exceed that altitude. Because even down to KATE, they follow the same principle its just one has different or more expensive components that talk to you if you wish. It has a base unit and a tracker, that also solely relies on one, or many Satellites also to help track your rocket. That you have too once the Featherweight goes out of range at 262,000 feet, like Missileworks im not sure of its range I didn't look. But then you have to find it, then within wifi range link or pair them manually, or within the confines of an established, great Satellite signal.

You can also use the Featherweight, and Missileworks in the field with a PC of sorts to track it. Because, im not sure like the Featherweight when the Marco Polo goes out of range. You just need to be back within that range, given its not behind a hill, or barn, cars, or some obstacle thats within range, if it be 2 miles. Thats 10,560 feet again, but 2 miles is a radius. So of you picture your rocket on 1010 rail let's say at URRG in NY, LDRS is coming and I'm hoping I can volunteer, im trying to get in touch with Larry to see since I only have my L1, "where can you use me to help you".

Picture this because its where im flying and like I said I'm in Pennsylvania, its not a far drive so it's why I decided to fly. The rocket is linked to the Marco Polo, one of three trackers it can support in its own. Once, its linked or paired and you stay within the confines of failsafe they have built in, which is 2 miles. From where you are at, now as long as the batteries are properly charged.

Part 2 of reply coming.

Here are a couple more points of clarification:
  1. I'm by no means trying to tell you that the Marco Polo was a bad choice. It does indeed seem to meet your needs. One design flaw does not make it a bad product.
  2. I suspect, and hope, that you've misunderstood "disconnect", and that re-pairing is not necessary, so that flaw may not be real. You've already stated you're going to test it; please let us know how it goes.
  3. But if it is true, wow! What about when you take the dog to the vet and leave the base unit at home, then have to go through the pairing procedure? What a pain in the neck!
  4. I wonder how it works without GPS. I suppose it could be using a sophisticated, miniature phased array to simulate a scanning antenna like the rotating radar antennas one sees. That seems like it would be pretty expensive, so maybe there's a simpler answer that I'm just not seeing. But I digress.
  5. Point of information: 49 miles is far above "average" for anybody's L3. It's most of the way to space; NASA and the US DoD define the edge of space at 50 miles, and the internationally recognized edge is at 100 km (about 62 miles). The highest altitude I could find on the TRA web site using commercially available motors (or research motors with similar total impulse) is 154,068 feet, which is a little over 29 miles. But I digress again.
5, 4, 3, 2, 1. It takes off with the MP. It will about work, granted no defects or problems in those first 90 days of warranty in the 2 miles it warns you of. Which could be anything from my rocket literally hitting a wall, to being a perfect but it lands in a pond. That sucks, good thing the Marco Polo tracker itself is crash resistant, and water proof. Or maybe darn it I got a bad component, or I assembled the Eggfinder board wrong and it doesn't even work. I've see that. I've seen guys find them everytime, or lose them the very first time. Because, the flaw. Is really just what I always preach. I was questions to people who don't or didn't understand how the Tracker they have works or doesn't. KATE is a Featherweight, a very nice, hard to get rid of lady. I mentioned the 49.2 miles, as lately I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos too see who likes what as it too helped with my Decision. Eggfinder is actually very worth it, if you assemble it correctly. But then I've seen it can be off.

The Model Rocketry Show, this forum, random people like yourself who care. Are what made my choice to start with the MP. Because, in that range of 2 miles, if your mindful of that. You won't lose your rocket with a Marco Polo. Braden from Rocketvlogs(I'm a subscriber, hoping to support!)recently posted a video of his favorite flights. One was a 4" Argus, either way. That half second burn put that up far enough he lost it. He's great at building, he thinks he may have not turned his battery on. Or it was the 100:1 Thrust to Weight Ratio, or 150g estimated Gs off the pad.

I'm not sure which exact tracker he used on that one. But he may have done everything right, it was the electronics that lost source power he's thinking, or a few other things. Those others things is what I wonder. Was everything hooked up correctly, and it human error. Or he had signal strength from 10 satellites the Featherweight keep bouncing back and forth to find the strongest signal. When they hit the launch button, and its says it on Featherweights page what to do if you lose signal. Because its in between satellites or signals and when it launched for that half second burn at 150gs. It may have lost signal, as its made to do to find the best strength. You may have lost your rocket before it even goes on the pad.

The Marco Polo, will keep contact as long as you are within the 10,560 feet. Or, you go out of range. It warns you like it's designed too to tell you your going to lose this if you don't stop, and get back in range relying on battery strength and just direction. I'm gonna find out how well it really does work, but from some simple tests here. The only flaw with any of these electronics weather If its a dog running away 3,400 feet from you at ground level going at 15 mph when the warning goes off, or at 8,000 feet for apogee.

As im looking up, my hope is that I can go straight up to 17,000 feet. But, that would be a risk if. Its drifts out of my range, then I'll probably get KATE. Or, like I'm saying I won't go past 5,000 ft for my L3. Its a 50 pound rocket 12" in diameter. I may never need any more than another MP tracker. I can add 2 more yet to this base. The Friends of Amateur Rocketry is where the 49.2 miles came. But ill try it on my dog too,ic for fifteen days until it dies, vs 16 hrs.

Michael B. Again ill fix errors.

I didn't do a good job of explaining my intent. I wasn't in any way questioning your purchase of the MP unit; I was just trying to understand its function. Everyone in the hobby has their own budget points and physical/local/field limitations, and I don't mean to cast shade on anyone for making choices that aren't the ones I made. The assemble-it-yourself-for-somewhat-less-money aspect of the Eggtimer line appeals to me, but I know that not everyone can do that. Likewise, a Kate or Featherweight system may be nominally better for what I'm doing, but the Egg stuff works fine for me. when I said that it was a moderate negative, I meant that in terms of how useful it would be to the general rocketry community, not necessarily to you. Heck, it's entirely possible that if there are fewer people using MP units, there is less clutter on the airwaves and you have an easier time getting the rocket back. So it might be good for you if it's less useful to other people.

If I had a MP unit, I'd want to understand what happens to it on leaving the 2-mile range limit so that I could have the best chance of getting a wildly errant rocket back. It sounds like you're planning on doing that, so it's all good.

The Marco Polo unit has many uses, if you read all the owners manuals, or watch tutorials. They tell you every weakness and strength.

The Marco Polo, is line of site for a 2 mile range. Then it tells you, "Hey your going to lose something", so stop and go get it. It loses or breaks signal. It has 2 more it may be tracking. But it tells you on the hand held unit and with the tracker by beeping when its lost(if your close to the tracker to hear it). It does that automatically. Will beep for 15 days if it has a full charge. First thing I gave it.

If its a dog walking 2000 feet away and tripped your preset alarm min distance, but goes back in and didn't go further the alarms will stop. Or it goes past 3,000 and it can stop or keep sounding off.

Or its just out of range, "go get back in it", is what its saying. It doesn't know if thats a horse 2 miles away getting loose. Or if its a model rocket that just went past my 8,000ft min alarm, then 9,000 ft max, now its 10,561 feet above me and lost signal then overall limit and connection to the head unit and base.

Hopefully its coming down and lands a mile away, I hope its still in that range to reconnect with the MP as I'd be attempting to pair it until its observed, links, or is gone . If not, when you lose "line of site" with Featherweight, or Marco Polo. You need to be mindful of those distances as it doesn't loose connection but has a weak but strong enough signal until you get around it.

This wasn't geared to anyone, I never have time to explain my thoughts. I do apologize for that. The Featherweights flaw? It may all be correct. But, lost connection. Then your $1,000 rocket is gone too, or more $$. Or less. Thats why I'll chose what it goes in. Some flights I've seen some very beautiful flights, from day one in high with an L2 cert. K360, big rocket. 1500 feet, perfectly. Landed in a tree. He forgot his sheer pins too so the main cam out at Apogee. He got it, after some work.

I'm trying to avoid losing one, I lost one last year. I'm gonna a climb that tree and get next launch day, I put some time into my builds. Thats another thing, it's cheaper to replace and dedicated MP tracker that's crash resistant and under warranty over a system $120 more that may lose signal, at the pad.

Within a certain radius, it refreshs every 40 secs not 4, at that point your stepping in it, or look up. I hate trees.

Michael B.

Attachments

• 20240103_140537.jpg
    20240103_140537.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The Marco Polo unit has many uses, if you read all the owners manuals, or watch tutorials. They tell you every weakness and strength.

The Marco Polo, is line of site for a 2 mile range. Then it tells you, "Hey your going to lose something", so stop and go get it. It loses or breaks signal. It has 2 more it may be tracking. But it tells you on the hand held unit and with the tracker by beeping when its lost(if your close to the tracker to hear it). It does that automatically. Will beep for 15 days if it has a full charge. First thing I gave it.

If its a dog walking 2000 feet away and tripped your preset alarm min distance, but goes back in and didn't go further the alarms will stop. Or it goes past 3,000 and it can stop or keep sounding off.

Or its just out of range, "go get back in it", is what its saying. It doesn't know if thats a horse 2 miles away getting loose. Or if its a model rocket that just went past my 8,000ft min alarm, then 9,000 ft max, now its 10,561 feet above me and lost signal then overall limit and connection to the head unit and base.

Hopefully its coming down and lands a mile away, I hope its still in that range to reconnect with the MP as I'd be attempting to pair it until its observed, links, or is gone . If not, when you lose "line of site" with Featherweight, or Marco Polo. You need to be mindful of those distances as it doesn't loose connection but has a weak but strong enough signal until you get around it.

This wasn't geared to anyone, I never have time to explain my thoughts. I do apologize for that. The Featherweights flaw? It may all be correct. But, lost connection. Then your $1,000 rocket.

I'm trying to avoid losing one, I lost one last year. I'm gonna a climb that tree and get next launch day, I put some time into my builds. Thats another thing, it's cheaper to replace and dedicated MP tracker that's crash resistant and under warranty over a system $120 more that may lose signal, at the pad.

Within a certain radius, it refreshs every 40 secs not 4, at that point your stepping in it, or look up. I hate trees.

Michael B.
Looking forward to a test report for what happens when it goes outside the 2 mile radius. Just knowing what happens will probably make you feel better. Extra bonus if you just have to get back within 2 miles, push a button on the receiver, and have the tracking pop back up again.

The Eggfinder approach is relatively simple but somewhat more bandwidth intensive. The transmitter just sends out a ping every second saying "I'm at these GPS coordinates!" If your receiver is in range, then you get an update and a comforting beep from the receiver. If not, the transmitter is talking to the void and it never knows that it is. BUT, the nice thing is that the receiver still holds on to the last position received. If the transmitter went behind a hill, you know to go over the hill and hopefully you'll get new packets once you get closer. There's some fancier versions that tell you range and direction, but I just punch the reported lat/long into my phone and use that navigation instead.

One thing about this discussion that's been helpful for me is to think about how trackers do their tracking. GPS, RDF, etc. all have their own differences. The Eggfinder just has the transmitter talking without knowing if anyone is hearing until the battery runs down, but it sounds like the MP units communicate between transmitter and receiver. I don't know that one approach is better than the other--it's just interesting to think about.

Back