What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wrapped up my 2nd HPR kit with clear coat, and I’m overjoyed with how it came out. I love the paint scheme and how the checkers came out. I ordered custom decals for the text and ram head, and I could not be happier. I love this hobby

Attachments

• 11D8B93F-464A-402B-967A-E18A973DC3CC.jpeg
    11D8B93F-464A-402B-967A-E18A973DC3CC.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
I did not even realize that the Yalga had no motor mount! I launched it Saturday on a C6-0 to C6-5 with a streamer and it recovered fine. Today I went to clean it up and there was NO motor mount in the sustainer. Those rings are REALLY thin. But it probably was I was just too frugal on the glue... I guess? Still the rings are paper thin... I mean thin. But it flew great!
Just how thin are they? You can't have been too too stingy with the glue if the mount held up in flight.

Gave the MidiBertha (scratchbuilt, shorter than the stock BB) a coat of flat black topped with gloss orange. Flat black first because I'm looking for a darker orange for the Thunderbird 3. I think it came out about right. I'll be painting some TB3 parts before assembly.

Zeroed out my can of Acryli-Quik white primer right as I got *just* enough coverage to move on to color coats. And I mean I was getting unpredictable spurts and pushing through until the very end. Kept moving the can back and forth in front of the rocket and holding it at different angles until no more paint spurts came out, only propellant. Perfect.

Off with me to Zoro.com.

ETA: Zoro.com counts sales tax toward the $50 minimum order total to get free shipping. Nice!

Last edited:
Added "Don't Drink & Paint" to the multi-build family.

1) Got the fins cut, started on the mmt and decided to give Bondo spot putty a try for filling the body spirals. If painting goes well, I may never go back to filling with CWF. The sand down phase went so much faster with Bondo!!
2) The Crawler ( I may open it up for a better name once finished) has all the fins mounted and fillets applied.
3) Final color coat is on the fin can of the AZT. The base coat is done on the nosecone and payload section. Should shoot the final color on Thursday.
4) Final color is done on the body and nosecone of the King Kraken. The inside of the tube fins got the final coat of primer and have been finish sanded. 1st coat of primer is on the exterior of the fins.

Looke like I'll be on track to have all completed by the next club launch on the weekend of the 17th.

Zeroed out my can of Acryli-Quik white primer right as I got *just* enough coverage to move on to color coats. And I mean I was getting unpredictable spurts and pushing through until the very end. Kept moving the can back and forth in front of the rocket and holding it at different angles until no more paint spurts came out, only propellant. Perfect.

Off with me to Zoro.com.

ETA: Zoro.com counts sales tax toward the $50 minimum order total to get free shipping. Nice!

D'oh!

I decided to get back into rocketry on April 24th of this year. Went to the hobby store the next day and purchased an Estes Big Daddy.

Then I went down the rabbit hole of HPR and set my sights on becoming L1 certified.. ordered a Wildman kit and finished it in time for the May 21st launch, where it flew successfully.

Being both a widower and retired, I like to tinker with stuff on my workbench, and building rockets was evidently just what I needed to keep the boredom at bay.

Anyway, today I took a picture of what I've built in the last six weeks.

IMG_20230606_214640376_HDR.jpg

I decided to get back into rocketry on April 24th of this year. Went to the hobby store the next day and purchased an Estes Big Daddy.

Then I went down the rabbit hole of HPR and set my sights on becoming L1 certified.. ordered a Wildman kit and finished it in time for the May 21st launch, where it flew successfully.

Being both a widower and retired, I like to tinker with stuff on my workbench, and building rockets was evidently just what I needed to keep the boredom at bay.

View attachment 584869
Outstanding, you're quite the modeler :goodjob:

View attachment 584869

Now, start designing your own stuff. Scratch building or at least kit bashing is a whole other rabbit hole.

That space between the floor joists is wide open and unintrusive.
But "nonintrusive" is sort of the opposite of "nicely displayed". Some more on vertical stands might work, sitting on that filing cabinet.

Anyway, after one regular speed and one uncommonly fast neil_w builds, what's next?

I recently found most of my unfinished Break-Away in a yet to be unpacked moving box. Most of it. How do most of the segments wind up in the same box, but not all of them? :questions:

Back