What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  • Cut and added some more vinyl to my Solar Sailer 2.6 rocket.
  • Cut some roll pattern vinyl for the USR HiTest 2224 (or something like that) which I call "24mm Madness"
  • Cut some more vinyl for my OD Mojave Mortar which is 6' tall and used a 54mm ACME fin can.
  • Finished building an Eggtimer Quark. Tested. Works fine. I still can not figure out how to CAD up a mount for it that lets me take it from one diameter rocket to another where each of the hosts has its own outside switch. Especially BT55 to say BT70 size rockets. There must be a design that lets one expand the sled in both X and Y to fit the bay of that rocket. And that makes it the doddle to hook up a switch for arming in each rocket. I have never ever dedicated any electronics to one rocket.
  • Added the first coat of gloss white to a Nova Rocketry 44MK13. Krylon Fusion. Crap. Never buy that again. Primer and Paint? REALLY low solids. I'll sand it down after a few days drying
  • Stared at my SS Package knowing that due to my spouses health, there will be no Christmas this year and wondering? Who'll ever know? I guess ... I will. How stupidly old fashion

How in the heck do you use a bandsaw to make something circular without binding up the blade?

You could with a jig...

Bandsaws have blades of varying width, use a narrow blade for tighter turns/circles and the wider blades for straight/resaw cuts, each blade width is a compromise between manueverability and stiffness....then there are the different tooth patterns/designs.
The jig I was talking about (and plan to make one day is as simple as a square piece of wood with a dowel or nail sticking our of it. Clamp the base to the bandsaw with the dowel/pin half distance that you want the circle cut and add a square piece with a hole in the center, rotate.

I laminated some more foam board to the Port-O-Potty base and then cut the base into a circle. I painted the Christmas tree rocket. Red, of course. I'll finish it tomorrow night. I'm taking 10 cats into Vegas to get fixed for the cat rescue during the day tomorrow. The Rockwell Jaw Stand I ordered arrived today. I'll move my rail to it be fore I need a pad. Now my rail is bolted to a PVC spider. Big and bulky.

20221213_162014[1662].jpg20221213_224035[1669].jpg20221213_224044[1664].jpg20221213_224105[1665].jpg

Hunted for upcoming launches within a not-too-horrible distance and pretty good waivers to fly things in the next few months. Wide open spaces are tough to find...missing the desert a bit.

Related: Considered moving to Seymour or Wichita.

twice the big balsa fins have cracked/broken. 🤬 :mad: Have I mentioned today how much I hate cheap, primitive, weak balsa? I'll never build anything with it.:barf:
Necessity is the mother of invention.

Balsa Plywood, 2 ply or 3 ply. You can make your own.

Or, paper the balsa using wood glue.

I laminated some more foam board to the Port-O-Potty base and then cut the base into a circle. I painted the Christmas tree rocket. Red, of course. I'll finish it tomorrow night. I'm taking 10 cats into Vegas to get fixed for the cat rescue during the day tomorrow. The Rockwell Jaw Stand I ordered arrived today. I'll move my rail to it be fore I need a pad. Now my rail is bolted to a PVC spider. Big and bulky.

View attachment 550860View attachment 550862
Now THAT'S how you make a sensible Christmas tree rocket! :clapping:

Kilz is is not enamel is it? Is it compatible with most enamel rattle cans?

Not sure *exactly* what it is, other than an alkyd resin base, and they seem to want to protect its stain-blocking characteristics. It is Oil-based, and the can states it is compatible with alkyd, oil, and water-based topcoats. I've used the brush-painted version of the same product and it works very well, and have had no incompatibility issues with that.

I will let you know if I have any issues with the spray version when my color paint arrives. So far, small test spots look like painting over smooth sanded CWF.

SDS for this
DATA SHEET for this

Edited---Or I'll post pictures after painting.

Last edited:
I sanded more on the POS Mig-31, and another balsa butt joint cracked 🤬 you look at this stuff and it breaks..I'm glad this is the last model made from this cheap/inferior/low strength material that I'll have to restore. There's still a chance I'll toss it in the dumpster.:p

Post up some photo's... :clapping:
40 year old and poorly constructed.
MBFGJUr.jpg

T792gep.jpg

jemB3wd.jpg

AnMZR1E.jpg

0Jv3wIY.jpg

initial sanding done
CEic1mP.jpg

That's awesome. What's the backstory?
The guy posted on here that he had some old rockets that he wanted to give away. So we went about 30 miles to his house in Charlotte. He was 85 and with a walker, so was I, even though I'm 66, but physically 90. He had some photos of when he worked on the Corporal rocket program w/ training completion certificates, but all 7 rockets were built around 1979-1983 including a 4 ft Corporal and a 6 ft Corporal, and both of them are in good shape. This one was the worst of them. Now that the initial sanding is done, I'll use the DAP spackling compound and likely spend many hours going over it to get it ready for primer. I'm mainly doing this so that I can email him back pictures of my restoration work. He also wants to see videos of them launching again. This also gives me something to try and coax me out of this bed that I spend 18-22 hours in everyday.

The guy posted on here that he had some old rockets that he wanted to give away. So we went about 30 miles to his house in Charlotte. He was 85 and with a walker, so was I, even though I'm 66, but physically 90. He had some photos of when he worked on the Corporal rocket program w/ training completion certificates, but all 7 rockets were built around 1979-1983 including a 4 ft Corporal and a 6 ft Corporal, and both of them are in good shape. This one was the worst of them. Now that the initial sanding is done, I'll use the DAP spackling compound and likely spend many hours going over it to get it ready for primer. I'm mainly doing this so that I can email him back pictures of my restoration work. He also wants to see videos of them launching again. This also gives me something to try and coax me out of this bed that I spend 18-22 hours in everyday.
Cool story Marty. Good karma coming your way for all the effort you're putting into this.

Actually, it's what I've been doing since Wednesday of last week...
Was going to attempt my Level 3 Cert on the 3rd, but the cloud ceiling never lifted like the meteorologists predicted. So it was charge Lipos, assemble avionics, load charges, pack the truck, go to the launch site, stare at the sky & swear, go home, unpack the truck, dump charges, disassemble stuff & discharge/store LiPos... just now
finishing.

View attachment 549364
Should I be discharging lipos?

Updated the CAD file of some parts I've designed for a friend, since he embiggened the motor mount he's using from 29 to 38. Added a few more drawings to the consolidated burn sheets I'm building. Still have a few more parts to draw before sending 1/4" and 1/8" sheets off to @Chad / Oak Cliff Laser to burn. Maybe I'll finally finish this weekend, but more likely I'll discover another few parts I need and add another week to the timeline. 😂
Hunted for upcoming launches within a not-too-horrible distance and pretty good waivers to fly things in the next few months. Wide open spaces are tough to find...missing the desert a bit.

Related: Considered moving to Seymour or Wichita.
As I recall you're hunting for another record? If what you're after can be accomplished in 32k, we'd love to see you do it in Seymour on the last weekend of next month. Hat tip to Kloudbusters though: they fly every month of the year - whereas we only fly at Seymour four or five times due to summer heat and hunting leases - and they have 50k, whereas we only have 32k due to the nearby highway. Either way, good luck finding those ceilings!

Back