What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shot almost a full can of old gloss white from a rattle can today on like a 12 inch section of tubing. I never achieved what I thought, in stark sunlight, was a smooth glowing shiny finish. And I decided... I am no a Type 1 person. Its as good as any other finish I've done, AND from a launchpad distance on up? It'll look JUST FINE. :music1: :awesome:

Took apart a yellow plastic Estes 6 v, controller to see why the safety/continuity light wasn't working.
Turns out the safety pin was only contacting one side of two flat metal contacts. Bent the errant contact back and all is working now.................................
For a few more launches anyway.
You get what you paid for.

nope, I need 1/4 of a can more to finish the primer phase(this stuff is like colored water) :mad:

i feel your pain. i've used that stuff, 2 coats didn't even cover the pencil lines. point is, on to better stuff, like rusto auto primer. or acrylic poster paint lol.

i feel your pain. i've used that stuff, 2 coats didn't even cover the pencil lines. point is, on to better stuff, like rusto auto primer. or acrylic poster paint lol.
I'm going to take a chance and put some Dupliciolor primer over it. I'm not wasting any money on that poor product.

Worked on two short and stubby rockets today… got the fins tacked on on my 4” Diablo, and installed a centering ring in the nosecone.

BAD12F0C-FEA0-4551-BF34-27D1D162906C.jpeg

Then is assembled the motor mount for my PSII MDRM with 38mm upgrade and solid fins. Fins are just dry fitted at the moment.
41EB161E-BA9A-4728-BD9B-29362A8FDEB7.jpeg

• Added filet of fillets to the Flame Thrower
  • Added some wires and terminal blocks to the Flame Thrower's transition
  • Started to think about what to launch in 10 days out in the desert...
    • The Formula 75 for sure as it is ready on a H178DM with cable cutter
    • Extreme 12 with a D12 to a D12 (or E12?) with Chute Release
    • Dagger 38 (an OD, look at older launch reports)... on some sort of 38mm I... I211? With Cable Cutter
    • Strongtium 29 (an OD) on something 29mm - AT F42?
    • Yes! The Starchaser 2.6 (an OD scale up of a BARCLONE - look at older launch reports) on an F something (CTI) (G Something?)
    • AT Arreux on something (G76?) with Chute Release
    • Redtop on something smokier than an Estes F50T with Chute Release - (F26?)
    • Pemtech 3FNC - G64... been prepped for ages

Does your Diablo have the 3D printed nose cone?
The kit came with one, but I’m not using it. I wasn’t happy with the fit of the printed cone on the body tube. I am using a spare nosecone I’ve had for several years that just happens to be the correct profile.

but those look scarily susceptible to flutter. Maybe the TTW construction stiffens the root enough?

"Low and slow," Lamington said. I have no idea why, but I trust him.

OR shows similar maximum velocity on a D12 to something like a Fliskits Praetor on a C6.

These are papered with 240 gsm (65 lb) paper and as you said, TTW mounted. These are the second set I made, having tested the first ones for deformation until they failed: one fin each 80, 120 and 240 gsm papered. The 240 adds a massive amount of stiffness. There is a small amount of flex, but the loading required is pretty high and I'm theorising (dangerous, I know) that we won't get anywhere near it without something like an F44.

Field testing will tell, as always. I'm more concerned about fin damage on landing to be truthful.

You're FAR more experienced than I

That's flattering, but I'm aware that many here have way more experience and expertise than me. Your post sent me back to my notebook, for example. I always appreciate input.

Took apart a yellow plastic Estes 6 v, controller to see why the safety/continuity light wasn't working.
Turns out the safety pin was only contacting one side of two flat metal contacts. Bent the errant contact back and all is working now.................................
For a few more launches anyway.
You get what you paid for.

The good thing about the Estes 6V controllers is their incredible simplicity. Most faults are incredibly basic and just require a pair of pliers or a soldering iron to fix. I always have one available at a launch as a third controller backup or something to give away to an interested bystander.

The good thing about the Estes 6V controllers is their incredible simplicity. Most faults are incredibly basic and just require a pair of pliers or a soldering iron to fix. I always have one available at a launch as a third controller backup or something to give away to an interested bystander.

Totally agree. I carry one as a gift to anyone who wants to get started. In my rocket-trades I come up with them frequently. Just gave one away the other day along with an Estes launch stand. Still have several.

I wonder what top coats you can use over it since it's water based?
I usually use Ace Premium ( label says, "Paint and Primer"). Works good for me.
The bulls eye leaves a rough finish that is easily sanded. It can do "light" filling such as shallow spirals. I think it has excellent coverage.

My ACSupply order showed up today. A pair of Goblins for the stash because they just went OOP, a Mini-Mosquito to go with the regular size and the mega, an Extreme kit to be built for a Quest AP motor because I never want to see it again, a BB-III because I'd never built one before, a LJ-I to replace the one my nephew stepped on and a Super Orbital Transport because I have crap luck with gliders and a foam glider should give me my best chance.

Back