What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rocket Camp, Day 2. I posted earlier about the shopping I did, which was time consuming. So my son and I didn't have as much rocket building time as I expected today. Thus we were only able to begin construction of the Double Ringer. It's a super quick build and we were probably 10 minutes max from finishing but we were interrupted. No matter, the weather got iffy and we wouldn't have flown today anyhow. We will wrap up construction in the morning and then try to squeeze in a quick launch at the local park before the weather turns on us once again. Not complaining - the rain is more than welcome here.

Highlight of the day - the kids were watching cartoons on the Apple TV and I was watching an Apogee video on my phone. Somehow my phone started casting to the TV. After a minute or two I realized this and switched the TV back to the cartoons. But then my son asked me to switch it back - he wanted to see the rocket video and not the cartoon. Tim Van Milligan > Spiderman, if only for that moment. Absolutely astonishing.

Rocket Camp, Day 2. I posted earlier about the shopping I did, which was time consuming. So my son and I didn't have as much rocket building time as I expected today. Thus we were only able to begin construction of the Double Ringer. It's a super quick build and we were probably 10 minutes max from finishing but we were interrupted. No matter, the weather got iffy and we wouldn't have flown today anyhow. We will wrap up construction in the morning and then try to squeeze in a quick launch at the local park before the weather turns on us once again. Not complaining - the rain is more than welcome here.

Highlight of the day - the kids were watching cartoons on the Apple TV and I was watching an Apogee video on my phone. Somehow my phone started casting to the TV. After a minute or two I realized this and switched the TV back to the cartoons. But then my son asked me to switch it back - he wanted to see the rocket video and not the cartoon. Tim Van Milligan > Spiderman, if only for that moment. Absolutely astonishing.
J. Jonah Jameson is gonna go ballistic when The Amazing Spider Man goes for his L3.

Scrambled to find someone with an L1365M after seeing the list of discontinued products that Aerotech posted. BMS said they had one so I ordered it and an assortment of slow jack motors. I hope no one beat me to it.

Can it be done? Not sure...
Should it be done? Not sure...
Will I do it? Not sure...

129mm upscale of M1147 Tank AMP Round... Have not cut tubes to length so just wanted to mock things up. Original BT-80 version and Big Bertha for size comparison. What size motor mount should I put in here? I have not printed the rear most portions since I want to include a motor retainer / mount. I am also wondering how I should reinforce the BT-60 rear tube on the larger model since I think it will take a good deal of strain.

1658924369134.jpeg

1658924379003.jpeg

I am also wondering how I should reinforce the BT-60 rear tube on the larger model since I think it will take a good deal of strain.

Full length internal coupler.

What's the cross section of the lower transition, is it a thin conical section or does it have an internal sleeve? Make sure the BT-60 / C-60 sticks up into the transition at least 2X the diameter of the BT-60 and that it is supported inside the transition by a centering ring. That will make for a Hell-For-Stout design.

Awesome rockets. Looking forward to the flight videos.

As to the motor mount.... what size motor is the simulation saying will be needed?

Only one launch and lost it. No pics to show. It got too windy and very hot with 110 heat index searching for the rocket. Had a little heat exhaustion. Better luck next time. :(
Bummer sorry to hear that..
Wind certainly makes it difficult at times.
And the heat doesn’t help .
Next time will be better !!!

Full length internal coupler.

What's the cross section of the lower transition, is it a thin conical section or does it have an internal sleeve? Make sure the BT-60 / C-60 sticks up into the transition at least 2X the diameter of the BT-60 and that it is supported inside the transition by a centering ring. That will make for a Hell-For-Stout design.

Awesome rockets. Looking forward to the flight videos.

As to the motor mount.... what size motor is the simulation saying will be needed?

Thank you!

I have some heavier duty cardboard mailers so may upgrade to one of those. Right now the BT-60 slips around a coupler / shoulder that is printed as part of the transition. The current transition is a relatively thin exterior shape (around 1.75mm thick so about 4 layers of ABS) but I can easily print and glue in a centering ring or similar structures for a stuffer tube / MMT.

I was trying to simulate w/ some larger motors (actually checking how it would do for an L1 attempt although it would be dumb to use something with such fragile fins for that) but the simulations were giving me strange results (lower altitudes than I would expect for some pretty large G/H engines). I only overrode the weights of the major components for this simulation but looks like an E20 Composite might be a good choice if I want to keep it cheap and low.

1658931600674.png

I glued a 1/2” piece of 1/8” launch lug inside of each of the couplers to feed the Kevlar through (needed to tie a knot and added a clasp end from a small zip tie so it wouldn’t pull through the LL), then repeated for each section…
Is that per the directions? I have the Odd'l version in my build pile, and I don't remember it being that involved. If I remember right, it has little plastic bits with holes; you glue one into each section, run the cord through the hole and tie a knot. Simple. Or am I imagining that? Without an anchor like that, I would just pass the cord through a #4 flat washer then epoxy it to the inside of the tube (or ask a friend to 3D print anchors).

Same thing I do every day…
1658936673517.png

Estes A10-0 CATO on our freshly built today estes blender destroyed ……
check out the video

Are the A10 estes motors known for catos ? Had two A10-0 and one A10-3 motors all cato today

Attachments

• IMG_5024.MOV
    8.3 MB
  • C2DCD99B-99AA-40DD-BED1-E8FC5BBCF99F.jpeg
    C2DCD99B-99AA-40DD-BED1-E8FC5BBCF99F.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 265DAA81-01E2-4E64-BFF5-7EC2B9533C6A.jpeg
    265DAA81-01E2-4E64-BFF5-7EC2B9533C6A.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Crazy for a small motor sure packs a punch mine was super loud and into the air
🤔

Here's an A10-3T CATO posted by a fella over on FB, Stephen Burt

View attachment 529847

Talked with AeroAggie about rocket stuff. Thought about future record attempts & rocketry trips. Thought about my build pile. Started wondering again if I should do my L3. Wished my rocket shop had air conditioning.

Enjoyed about 14 Flights with my boy today
For the most part all were nice…. Just a few ruff ones in there as mentioned earlier.

Attachments

• 719AE9D6-6897-4C00-948A-A4DAED2DAE66.png
    719AE9D6-6897-4C00-948A-A4DAED2DAE66.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
  • CF59339A-5C53-4C63-8023-71F4A0712470.png
    CF59339A-5C53-4C63-8023-71F4A0712470.png
    6.2 MB · Views: 0
  • A9F6033A-0F98-4165-8C26-2936E0ABDC62.jpeg
    A9F6033A-0F98-4165-8C26-2936E0ABDC62.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 1B657BDB-620A-4226-B92F-5C78864DCFF8.png
    1B657BDB-620A-4226-B92F-5C78864DCFF8.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
The Argonia Cup Challenge rules for 2023 are out. The requirements have changed. A two stage rocket is now required. Min. altitude is now 9000 feet. Lots of rules/regs about two-stage rocket safety. The scoring has changed, too. Instead of winning by being the closest to the target, the following scoring will be used: Contest Altitude = Sustainer altitude (in feet) – (the payload landing distance from the target (in feet) times 20).

The Argonia Cup Challenge rules for 2023 are out. The requirements have changed. A two stage rocket is now required. Min. altitude is now 9000 feet. Lots of rules/regs about two-stage rocket safety. The scoring has changed, too. Instead of winning by being the closest to the target, the following scoring will be used: Contest Altitude = Sustainer altitude (in feet) – (the payload landing distance from the target (in feet) times 20).

That looks like a fun challenge. Do I have to go back to grad school now?

It Has some big damage
Boy , I guess it does. Sorry this happened. I did not get that Photo before for some reason. I see the motor now where its blown out. I had a 1/2 A6-2 years ago when the flame came out the side of the motor casing on top of the nozzle. The rocket instead of going up came off the pad and spun around about 4 times burning a small hole through the side of the air frame.

Is that per the directions? I have the Odd'l version in my build pile, and I don't remember it being that involved. If I remember right, it has little plastic bits with holes; you glue one into each section, run the cord through the hole and tie a knot. Simple. Or am I imagining that? Without an anchor like that, I would just pass the cord through a #4 flat washer then epoxy it to the inside of the tube (or ask a friend to 3D print anchors).

View attachment 529799
No...not according to directions...I didn't have the original kit (or a 3D printer), so I had to improvise...and it seemed like an easy solution...
If you have an actual kit, it should be much easier and the instructions looked detailed enough....

Back