What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received a new kit - the Scorpius kit from MoreRockets. Arrived in a nice UPS box filled with packing peanuts and the kit looks in great shape. Awesome job MoreRockets.com!
Scorpius_kit1.jpg

This just arrived time to get started.

bounty-hunter-box.jpg

I had a naively nostalgic feeling yesterday like being teen when a new Estes or Centuri catalog suggested wonder and that anything is possible, and that maybe the world could be my oyster once I didn't have stupid school holding me back anymore. I enjoyed the feeling while I could because I may never get it again in this life.

I'm about ready to sell the Holverson Designs Engine hook machine.

I was thinking about what a great coincidence it is that the greatest high visibility model rocket paint color is also the greatest ever factory tractor paint color. :3

spraypaint.jpg

I was thinking about what a great coincidence it is that the greatest high visibility model rocket paint color is also the greatest ever factory tractor paint color. :3

View attachment 504819

My son and his two cousins disagree with your "greatest color" statement. :) The pic was Christmas gifts from my dad. (also, paging @jd2cylman )

IMG_8244.jpg

My son and his two cousins disagree with your "greatest color" statement. :) The pic was Christmas gifts from my dad. (also, paging @jd2cylman )

View attachment 504820

Yup, I had the full set of those, 320 through 820. Sold the big four to finance my house. Slowly started collecting the 30 series. Currently I’m down to 8 tractors. I have a 420, 430, 530, 630, three 730’s, and a 830.
I’m not unfamiliar with that can of paint though, having worked for an Allis Chalmers dealership straight out of jr college. And we had a Allis Chalmers WD45 for a loooong time.
But, yes, AC orange is much more visible than JD green in most instances…

Started a build, of a few builds, based around using the cheap/easy Estes boosters for bringing down quickly and/or on hard surfaces like our frozen glare-ice lake. Anyone want a build thread?

Attachments

• IMG_20220215_160058248_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220215_160058248_HDR.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 14
Thread: maybe. Explanation: yes, please.

Nutshell, the boosters make for fast durable and cheap builds that fly nice by just using them as a quick build fin can. A bit more fun to build than an E2X rocket and easier than a normal kit even with some tweaks. No fins to cut, no motor mount to assemble in these smaller boosters. Comes with retainer...

I've got two BT60, one BT55 and a 2" PSII booster here that are project pieces. The PSII booster is great for the $. Nice airfoiled fins, although plastic, they seem tough. Motor tube, retainer are just normal PSII parts and the CRs, although beefy plastic, are notched for the fin tabs. Grab a couple pieces of tube and a coupler (the booster comes with a coupler but needs it to attach to a tube) and the nosecone off Estes' site and you have cheap BP or composite 29mm rocket ready to go quickly.

Cut and knotted some new shock cords, and also cut a tube section for a chute bay to test fly the fin can of my long-stalled rebuild project this weekend. Still have some soldering to do before building the av-bay and final body for the rebuild.

Nutshell, the boosters make for fast durable and cheap builds that fly nice by just using them as a quick build fin can. A bit more fun to build than an E2X rocket and easier than a normal kit even with some tweaks. No fins to cut, no motor mount to assemble in these smaller boosters. Comes with retainer...

I've got two BT60, one BT55 and a 2" PSII booster here that are project pieces. The PSII booster is great for the $. Nice airfoiled fins, although plastic, they seem tough. Motor tube, retainer are just normal PSII parts and the CRs, although beefy plastic, are notced for the fin tabs. Grab a couple pieces of tube and a coupler (the booster comes with a coupler but needs it to attach to a tube) and the nosecone off Estes' site and you have cheap BP or composite 29mm rocket ready to go quickly.

Both of these are built from Booster-55s...

1644973774133.png
1644974044217.png

I've got two BT60, one BT55 and a 2" PSII booster here that are project pieces. The PSII booster is great for the $. Nice airfoiled fins, although plastic, they seem tough. Motor tube, retainer are just normal PSII parts and the CRs, although beefy plastic, are notched for the fin tabs. Grab a couple pieces of tube and a coupler (the booster comes with a coupler but needs it to attach to a tube) and the nosecone off Estes' site and you have cheap BP or composite 29mm rocket ready to go quickly.

The photo looks like some sort of plastic body coupler?

1645019745221.png

I had no idea what you were refering to until I searched for booster on the Estes site.

These boosters remind me of my neighbors dog.... ARF... ARF... ARF... ARF... ARF... ARF...

Old dogs and new tricks. Thanks, I learned something today. :computer:

1645019457843.png

OK, now I understand what I see in the picture. Thanks.

That seems like a really nice idea. Sort of an entry point for people starting to do their own designs, and also good for experienced builders who sometimes just don't want to bother. It looks to me like an example of Estes renewed commitment to "real" hobbyists rather than their recent history as a toy company.

Are they all four fin? A nice next step would be three fin versions and cores that come without fins, along with a few different fin shapes sold separately, or one could "graduate" to cutting ones own fins.
-------------------
EDIT: OK, I just went and read about them on the Estes web site. (Thanks, Lake, for kicking me in the arse to go do that for myself.) So, I only partly understood it. For anyone who doesn't know or want to go look, they're actually meant as add-on booster stages for other rockets. Sort of a step above CHAD. Still a pretty good idea, and still applicable as the entry point I mentioned, in addition to their designed purpose. But I guess that means my idea on new commitment and next steps are off target.

Or are they? Maybe I'll try to put that bug is Estes ear.

Last edited:

That seems like a really nice idea. Sort of an entry point for people starting to do their own designs, and also good for experienced builders who sometimes just don't want to bother. It looks to me like an example of Estes renewed commitment to "real" hobbyists rather than their recent history as a toy company.

Are they all four fin? A nice next step would be three fin versions and cores that come without fins, along with a few different fin shapes sold separately, or one could "graduate" to cutting ones own fins.

The 55/60 are four fin. The PSII, despite some pictures showing four fins, is actually three.

I had a naively nostalgic feeling yesterday like being teen when a new Estes or Centuri catalog suggested wonder and that anything is possible, and that maybe the world could be my oyster once I didn't have stupid school holding me back anymore. I enjoyed the feeling while I could because I may never get it again in this life.

I'm about ready to sell the Holverson Designs Engine hook machine.

View attachment 504819

Good ole Allis... wearing Hugger Orange, decades before Hugger Orange was even "A Thing". Somebody at GM had a thing for ole Allis.... just sayin.

1942 Allis Chalmers C.jpg 1645020862673.png

-------------------
EDIT: OK, I just went and read about them on the Estes web site. (Thanks, Lake, for kicking me in the arse to go do that for myself.) So, I only partly understood it. For anyone who doesn't know or want to go look, they're actually meant as add-on booster stages for other rockets. Sort of a step above CHAD. Still a pretty good idea, and still applicable as the entry point I mentioned, in addition to their designed purpose. But I guess that means my idea on new commitment and next steps are off target.

The boosters are a way to convince you to use two motors to lose one rocket :-D

I've got a Hi-Flier XL kit sitting here that may just be a recipient of that second Booster-60. Openrocket is giving me ~1800' on a D12-0 to E12-8 combo. That's not too shabby. :)
Make sure that you use paint with a high content of unobtanium. Seriously, fluorescents or similar super bright. Two stagers get waaaay up there. The boosters are always the tricky bit to find as they usually have no chute or streamer. Anything real bright and/or reflective will help. That serious altitude is always an attraction.
Jim

A couple of people have asked about this picture I posted earlier:

View attachment 504042

It's a small detail from a much larger painting by my late brother in law, a successful artist. It's on of the paintings I was 'curating' when we were at my MIL's place a few weeks ago.

As promised, this is the complete painting. It’s part of a series called ‘Same Factory’.

A84E09BC-34D9-4D7B-9B0F-4BBA911AC515.jpeg

Done. I sent Estes a message suggesting that they might want to add language to their marketing copy about building a rocket that starts with the booster, saying that I'd encountered a coupe of people doing just that. And I went on into the rest of what I brought up above. Will they do any of it? Probably not, but I tried.

Back