What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scored a 54mm 6 grain CTI casing this morning. Then started rebuilding the bulkhead in the N/C of my "Warp Core Breach" night rocket to hold a Stratologger.
Talked to Jack with "What's Up Hobbies", he's sending me a 10" N/C for a club project I'm helping with. We are building a 1/6 scale V-2. Planning on using a 75mm hybrid motor.
:eyepop:
My wife Sharon got into build mode yesterday, so I helped her foam the fincan on her "Wild Child". Then helped clean up the mess when the foam expanded all over the place! Not much room in between the 29mm MMT and the 1.5" body tube.
Got tracking data on a Rocketry Warehouse X-Celerator that I bought from dixontj in his "Great Kit Liquidation Sale" last week. Then I called Wildman and talked to Jackie about an order we made with them last week. I added a 54mm Aeropac tailcone and some 4" bulkheads for the X-Celerator build.
Busy day.....

started on my WildChild yesterday, today prep'd to add filets
Pulled my Wild Thang Jr parts together to start on it next, took preliminary pictures for the build thread.

I like your build threads !

Sounds like things are getting pretty 'WILD' over there with chiles and thangs and I do declare that Wayco is turning into a wildman himself . . .

Kenny

Sanded the filler on the Patriot fins yesterday before my lodge meeting, hoping to get the fillets smooth tonight and prep for primer. Then I can start on smoothing the fillets on the G-Force.
Also, couldnt resist launching my Odd'l Rockets Badmitton Birdie. What a fun little rocket that is! My neighbor couldnt stop laughing!

I was given an old Fat Boy that had seen better days and weak construction. It took a bit of work to get the aft bulkhead out but time and weak joints did most of the work on the fins for me. I cut a bulkhead and DRM style fins, filled the spiral, primed and sanded. Just have to decide on the NC, original or BT-80 sized ogive ala DRM.

Painted my daughter's Whatchamacallit. Wet sanded the clear out of my Ultimate Wildman.

Started putting fillets on my Wildchild, first use of the Proline Epoxy:

006.jpg

Pulled the tape at 50 minutes, they are not perfect, but ok:

013.jpg

Next up starting my Wild Thang Jr. build thread

Mounted a Stratologger on the N/C Bulkplate of "Warp Core Breach" using a piece of aluminum angle.
004.jpg

Hooked it in with the rotary switch that turns on the strobes.

005.jpg

Made an order with Perfectflite for two Stratologgers, six external speakers and some mounting hardware.
Supervised Sharon's first attempt using Proline 4500 epoxy for external fillets on her "Wild Child". Then we went over her strategy to build the "Wild Thang". I think she was surprised when her inventory was complete. No honey, I didn't "borrow" anything for my other builds.... Your build box is off limits, I would never touch it.
:grin:

(1) Sanded edges of the Astra's fins.
(2) Discovered that there were no fin slots in the Astra's bodytube (nor any markings for such) as the instructions indicated.
(3) Wrote terse email to Quest expressing my frustration.

(1) Sanded edges of the Astra's fins.
(2) Discovered that there were no fin slots in the Astra's bodytube (nor any markings for such) as the instructions indicated.
(3) Wrote terse email to Quest expressing my frustration.

I went to the ad, it does say the slots are cut. I just thought it was cool to have a TTW 1 level rocket. I'm sure they'll send you the right tube.

Finished everything on my Dr Zooch rocket except for the flame fins, those are still drying :)

Secured the 9V batteries inside my homemade controller that had just been flopping around.

I went to the ad, it does say the slots are cut. I just thought it was cool to have a TTW 1 level rocket. I'm sure they'll send you the right tube.

I just received an email from Quest indicating that they will mail me out a new tube. Life is good again.

Fix It applied to both the patriot and G-Force, cured, filled with wood filler and now more sandning and filling. Got both Payload sections into primer yesterday.
Finalizing the decals for the patriot with Mark. Should be pretty sweet!

Got a email from oldest son wants to drag race darkstar jr's , not sure if fair lol , brown truck dropped of box today I have the 2 stage upgrade in it lol , email is below .. doesn't say I cant use more than 1 motor lol

So how about we race to the highest height.. who ever loses buys the winner there next motor.. FYI mine I think is 75mm M..

I am guessing that counts as a home run

Took the afternoon off because it was 80 degrees and 4MPH wind. Tried out a new launch area where there are 4 baseball fields in a huge area. My GORLAXIA flew great on a D15 and a F24, but my reconstructed QCC went crazy and I walked through a ton of bean to get it back.

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

[video=youtube;VwSzyi75nTs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwSzyi75nTs[/video]

[video=youtube;yeIZRxeWU80]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeIZRxeWU80[/video]

It took quite a hook up high. Walked a ton of beans to get it back.

Last edited:
We the Borg QCC.

Lower your shields and surrender your Rocket.

We will add your Balsa and Aerodynamic distinctiveness to our own.

Kenny

I really really fricking like you :)

FYI: I cut the fins off a blown up QCC and stuck them on a new shorter toooooooooooob and KenRico really seems to enjoy it :)

Last edited:
...remember when I said I wasn't going to be building rockets for a while....I lied. I've been looking at the 5 motor cluster I got from JonRocket, the one I added 4 13mm tubes to. Well, it's now in a rocket. 18" section of BT80 SEMROC tubing with a 8" section coupled to it. Big plastic Big Bertha type cone. I extended the 24mm BT50 motor to the top of the coupler and made the coupler section into a baffle so I don't have to use wadding. Leaves 4.5" for a 20" nylon chute. Plan is to use it for "flash in the pan" ignition. I need a few packs of A10-0's for the boosters but thats all I need now. I'm about to start on the fillets :)

Last edited:
I really really fricking like you :)

FYI: I cut the fins off a blown up QCC and stuck them on a new shorter toooooooooooob and KenRico really seems to enjoy it :)

Why yes, yes I do. Reminds me of the old catalogs where every rocket had a back story..Red Eye the Russian Satellite - be patriotic and blow one up today, Orbital Transport for passengers to visit the Space Station in orbit . . . why not a Borg QCC.

Also you started this most excellent thread, thank you !

Kenny

Last edited:
Back