3D Printing What Are You Printing Today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How big a pile of headwipe dabs did that have?
About 300g of filament poop….

I’ve learned not to waste it, especially petg.

I machine injection molds on my CNC, or I use silicon molds.

Just bought chess set molds on Temu for $6 that the black and white poop should turn out well - https://share.temu.com/NCPqfATARLA

Here is a skull mold I think I shared earlier

IMG_4261.jpegIMG_4259.jpeg

Monday I finished printing PETG parts for my Madcow Bomarc.

MC Bomarc - Printed Parts-Small.jpg

In the upper left-hand corner, you can spy the two marking guides I printed yesterday. Top one = I.D. too small. Bottom one = I.D. almost too small.
Gotta work on better estimating fit tolerances.

Nothing today, but I catastrophically disassemble my 2 times model of the port-a-potty rocket. I will build it better.

Designed and printed this out. While I've seen a few designs using Pringles cans, I did my take on it. It can launch with either a 1/4" rod or 1010 rod. Spec'd for a E30-7 or a F44-8 to between 500-750' feet. Plan to use the JLCR on it at 200'.

PXL_20230905_173337677.jpg

PXL_20230905_173345233.jpg

PXL_20230905_173432177.jpg

PXL_20230905_173507286.jpg

Finished a test print of yet another pre-colored print-in-place rocket, this time a Mercury Redstone. Obviously not scale, but an easy print. This one is a bit different than the Saturn V - the entire motor tube / centering rings section is a separate unit so you can print 29mm, 38mm, 54mm, even a cluster. One more version and I'll put it up on printables.

redstone.jpg

Made some tweaks to a slimmer 29mm retainer design. Shortened the threaded portion and this seems fine at 30% infill with PETG (very little infill anyways). Pretty light.

Last edited:
May we see? We just purchased and utilized our Wilson FX for the first time at SodBlaster curious to see what mods/accessories people are coming up with.
I will post pictures after it is printed. It snaps over the top to protect the buttons and switches. I will post it on printables when I am done.

May we see? We just purchased and utilized our Wilson FX for the first time at SodBlaster curious to see what mods/accessories people are coming up with.
I printed 2 and I am refining the cad today.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-10 at 11.30.13 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-10 at 11.30.13 AM.png
    270.9 KB · Views: 0
I'm printing a BT-55 nose cone with a canopy for a Sunward PHOENIX.

Referencing my post last Tuesday, I made up the weight system for the nose cones.

Nosecone ebay weight system.jpg

The 1/4-inch all-thread goes almost to the top. The weight is placed so that it presses up against the inside of the nose cone without pushing out. This stabilizes everything once it's screwed it. I gave it a pretty good shake and no rattling.

I designed 3 different weights: 15g, 60g, 120g.
I have printed the first two and they actually came out to 13g and 50g. I still need to print the 120g to find out its actual weight.

I weighed out all the comps:
  • 247.7g -- 4-in Mega Red Max (with the angled section removed AND the modified ebay sleeve epoxied... and some paint/decals
  • 197.8g -- Ebay
  • 5.4g -- 2x 1/4-in nuts
  • 23.3g -- Eyebolt, washer, nut
  • 60.0g -- ~315mm of 1/4-in all-thread
  • 50.0g -- Counter-weight
With a grand total of 584.2g.

Since the section I cut off of the shoulder and the threaded sleeve are approximately the same size, I will consider them as such. So this system added (minus the nose cone) 286.5g. This was enough to pull my Mega from a CAL of 0 to 1.187.

I can live with that.

Back