What Are The Pros and Cons Concerning the Rockwell Jawstand As A Launch Pad Base?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRiJoe

Reaction score
I have a 6 ft long 1010 rail and I want to construct a launch pad around it. What are the pros and cons of doing this and how much modification is needed on the basic Jawstand

There are few con's other than its a good idea to remove the plastic pads from the top of the jaw sections. Our club has one and I have one, the clubs is set up with a 6' 1010 rail and when staked down can easily fly HPR models weighing in between 10-20lbs, we use ours at the MPR. The ease of alt and azimuth adjustments its a definite plus. My pad pictured below is set up with a 6' 20mm mini rail and a 5' (1500mm) Makerbeam micro rail. For extra insurance on the clamping of the 2x4 I use two wood screws through the side of one of the jaws. Today I bought some 2x2x.125"aluminum square tube to replace the 2x4 on my pad. Another advantage is that the center post can be put all the way down on the ground (on a wood plate or something) to increase the ground contact if desired after the pad is staked down (we use the 3/8" aluminum tent stakes that look like nails with a orange plastic piece and sold at WalMart).
JawstandPad1.jpg JawstandPad2.jpg JawstandPad3.jpg JawstandPad4.jpg

There are few con's other than its a good idea to remove the plastic pads from the top of the jaw sections. Our club has one and I have one, the clubs is set up with a 6' 1010 rail and when staked down can easily fly HPR models weighing in between 10-20lbs, we use ours at the MPR. The ease of alt and azimuth adjustments its a definite plus. My pad pictured below is set up with a 6' 20mm mini rail and a 5' (1500mm) Makerbeam micro rail. For extra insurance on the clamping of the 2x4 I use two wood screws through the side of one of the jaws. Today I bought some 2x2x.125"aluminum square tube to replace the 2x4 on my pad. Another advantage is that the center post can be put all the way down on the ground (on a wood plate or something) to increase the ground contact if desired after the pad is staked down (we use the 3/8" aluminum tent stakes that look like nails with a orange plastic piece and sold at WalMart).
View attachment 363383 View attachment 363384 View attachment 363385 View attachment 363386
Dumb question time: How did you secure the rail to the block of wood. rhash?

There is a piece of aluminum angle that the rail is attached to, then that is attached to the wood block. Its visible in the 2nd and 3rd pictures.

I made mine for group launches with aluminum 2x4. Used the regular rail bolts, inserted about half an inch in, just deep enough to still get an Allen wrench on it. With all aluminum construction, rod and stand can be carried in one trip, super lightweight.

IMG_0411.jpg

Back