DIY High Power Launchpad

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am trying to make a launch pad from some steel sections and 2020 aluminum rail. I have got a 3m rail and can support the rail upto 2m by steel section. Will the other left out 1m be safe during launch or should I cut it? I don't want the bending of rail to alter the course of rocket or worse. Any input can help me. Thankyou
Edit 2020 means 20mmx20mm which would be close to the 1010 inch rail used in US.

Last edited:
I think you're fine if I'm understanding your set up correctly; but it will help a lot more to post pictures so we can visually understand your concern.

Longer is definitely better (gives the rocket more room to get to a safe takeoff speed before leaving the rail). And the 2020 rail should be strong to stay upright/not warp without a steel support rod.

I think you're fine if I'm understanding your set up correctly; but it will help a lot more to post pictures so we can visually understand your concern.

Longer is definitely better (gives the rocket more room to get to a safe takeoff speed before leaving the rail). And the 2020 rail should be strong to stay upright/not warp without a steel support rod.
1710863067053.png

That should be totally fine; leave it long! Outta curiosity, does your rail have the ability to be angled to adjust the launch angle with the wind? and lowered to horizontal for loading of the rocket?

You may need either a bigger base, have to be able to stake it down, or tether it. I'd expect a 2-3' (0.75-1m) diameter/span.
Jawstands andTriton multi-stands work pretty well for a stand alone, but probably should be staked with high power stuff.

Also, with an angled deflector, with a high power, they can creep around a little.

Length should be fine.

Back