Permanent low-mid power pad thoughts?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsmith1315

Not a shrubber
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
A couple of times, I’ve wanted to launch a small rocket or two on a toddler-attention-span timeframe.

I thought it would be cool to have a permanent pad in the yard with buried cables run the safe distance to a launch controller mount. Connections in a sealed box on each end.

Come launch time, connect the battery/relay box to the pad, connect the controller and mount it on the post set at the safe distance. Kids can push the button without jiggling stuff around, pulling controller cables past their limit, etc.

I can pour a small base from a couple bags of Quickrete, or use bricks & mortar. But what pad/rod/rail design to withstand the elements? With as much of it as possible to stay put.

Budget is near nothing, I have a hoard of bits and pieces, electronic parts, old swing set hardware etc. Simplicity would be key.

My yard and immediate surroundings are fine to fly G motors, so the rail would need to be able to cover all Class 1 flights, up to 4” dia and 1500g.

I like these styles, but metal pipe would be limited to standard materials like chain link fencepost, EMT conduit, or such:

BBA5630E-32F6-4907-B754-068BFC1A9FF1.jpeg

These would need to be simplified to their essence, although little mouse ladders would be cool😉

Bonus points for looking like a real launch pad, of course.

Attachments

• 652BB648-1D36-40A5-A526-A85118B98712.jpeg
    652BB648-1D36-40A5-A526-A85118B98712.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:
1010 rail is typically aluminum so it will hold up fine if you use stainless steel hardware. You could bolt 7 feet of that to almost anything.

1010 rail is typically aluminum so it will hold up fine if you use stainless steel hardware. You could bolt 7 feet of that to almost anything.

Uh, no. Aluminum is galvanically attacked by stainless if left in a humid (or even not so humid) environment. The best is zinc flake coating, then hot dipped (not common on small machine screws), then zinc plated. Stay the heck away from black oxide, as that serves only to hold enough oil on the surface to prevent it being rusty when it gets to the retail purchaser. Useless if left exposed to weather in the field.

I think it might be desirable to keep the rail off the pad until you want to use it. It should only take a few moments to attach it when needed; the big time saver is the pad itself and the wiring being already in place.

Then you don't have to worry about the rail surviving the elements etc.

You’re going to want at minimum two and as many as four rod/rail types (1/8”, maybe 3/16” and 1/4”, 1010 rail) to cover A to G motors. That’s a lot to leave outside. Plus the small rods are going to get bent if left outside among toddlers. I would attach those to some sort of common base (1/2” rod?) that you can drop into a socket on the pad.

Rather than stringing wires below ground, I would set up a small table/easel that you can set the controller on for the kid to fire. It wouldn’t take long to lay out the controller if it’s in storage near the door or even in a dry bin outside. [Fixed spelling. Thanks, autocorrect!]

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, y'all.

I'm leaning towards a 2020 and 2-10mm rails. Agreed that rods wouldn't hold up well outdoors, they could be on an adapter for mounting on a rail. I wouldn't be comfortable leaving a rod out there anyway. I'd probably poke my own eye out mowing around it. It wouldn't be bad to keep rods/rails in a tube and take the out there if they can be mounted quickly. Maybe leave them in place for the weekend.

I'm most interested in the base and how it could be adjustable for pointing, still thinking of the Standard Arm launcher above. Simple to twist for horizontal pointing and then adjust the azimuth.

Hopefully Aerotech's new wireless unit will be released before making the controller decision, but a wired home-built has the coolness advantage.

I have a carbon fiber tube/ 3d printed PETG/CF tower attached to a 3m 1010 rail and a modified Triton MSA200 support stand.
The 3m rail is actually 3 1m pieces that are bolted together at launch site

If you were going to do rods, it would be prudent to put a ball or something on the ends, secured with a camp of some kind. Stainless spring wire would be good, as it's quite strong, if you find some that's straight.

A minimalist approach might be to make a concrete pad with a metal pipe set vertically into it. Then a rod in the pipe, with half a pressure treated 2 X 4 clamped to it, attached with eyebolts, or with a hole that slips over the rod. The other half of the 2 X 4 could be attached with a bolt going through a hole in its middle and a hole near the top end of the other piece. The rails, rods, etc. attach to the second This allows two axes of adjustment and should allow any angle you want.

If you don't want to pour concrete, an old truck wheel might make a good base.

When I was a kid, a bare patch of bedrock showed in our back yard. My dad borrowed a rock drill from work and made a hole for a tether ball pole. That worked pretty well.

I have a drill press with a table which clamps to a pipe, and can be swung around in any direction around the pipe. Another clamp allows you to tilt the table, with markings to show just how far it's tilted. Would be a fairly elegant way to go if you can find a dead drill press and if you can get the motor and drill part off the top.

Alternatively, look at what people are throwing out, such as appliances. You might be inspired by the available materials.

I have a drill press with a table which clamps to a pipe, and can be swung around in any direction around the pipe. Another clamp allows you to tilt the table, with markings to show just how far it's tilted. Would be a fairly elegant way to go if you can find a dead drill press and if you can get the motor and drill part off the top.

Interesting. I held onto a satellite dish mounting bracket for a couple years that would swivel and tilt. It was designed to set and forget, but was also designed for full-time outdoor use. Hmm... come to think of it, the post for that dish is still in the ground for no good reason. 🤔 Plenty stout enough. I wonder if I can find another pipe that would nest with it. And if I have the gumption to dig it up? And if I have something to shorten it a bit. A quick trip outside tells me that's a 2½" steel pipe, and it has a reducer/collar on top that could be useful.

IMG_1028.JPG

That Triton looks about right, with the legs removed. I had dismissed Jawstands and similar over cost. I have some credit with Amazon that would cover most of that MSA200. Perhaps replacing the hardware on that with SS would help with weathering.

Thanks, everybody! I wasn't expecting all this help today!

I don’t have any suggestions, but having a permanently set up launch pad and controller on your own property with room to fly maximum Class 1 rockets is a rocketeer’s dream!

Actually, I DO have one suggestion. Instead of a battery, if you really wanted it always ready, you could set up a power supply that is always plugged in to power, if it’s available at the controller or the pad. Maybe a low-voltage lighting power supply would work?

Interesting. I held onto a satellite dish mounting bracket for a couple years that would swivel and tilt. It was designed to set and forget, but was also designed for full-time outdoor use.

It's kind of annoying that I finally had the DirectTV dish removed from my roof and hauled away a few months before I BAR'ed. Would love to pick one out of someone's pile of trash on the curb one of these days.

I don’t have any suggestions, but having a permanently set up launch pad and controller on your own property with room to fly maximum Class 1 rockets is a rocketeer’s dream!

Actually, I DO have one suggestion. Instead of a battery, if you really wanted it always ready, you could set up a power supply that is always plugged in to power, if it’s available at the controller or the pad. Maybe a low-voltage lighting power supply would work?
Solar and battery might be easier than digging a long ditch, hooking into the house's circuit box, etc.

Solar and battery could work very well. We put a deep cycle 12V battery in a plastic Milwaukee tool box with a 10" x 14" solar cell on it to run the winch on our trailer launcher. It sits outside year round and does about 100 up/down cycles of the winch per season. It's been in place nine years now and is still going strong.

It's kind of annoying that I finally had the DirectTV dish removed from my roof and hauled away a few months before I BAR'ed. Would love to pick one out of someone's pile of trash on the curb one of these days.
Too bad you're not near me. I have a dish on a pole in my yard.

Too bad you're not near me. I have a dish on a pole in my yard.

I emailed the roofer and told him if he is ever in my neighborhood with one he needs to dispose of, it's OK to leave it in my driveway. Had a pretty severe hail storm this week, might have another Monday. I could get lucky in the next few months.

Ooo, ooo ! I like this one:

That one was part of the inspiration.

I have those 3 Javelins scaled down to about 1:8 and most of the parts to build them. 2-piece nosecone mold is already made. Round1 will be lightweight, round 2 a little more stout and round 3 will be carbon minimum diameter. The launcher was sport scaled in hopes to build the launcher just as a display for them.

When annoyance took me to the idea of putting down a concrete pad, it wasn’t too long before that image popped in my head!

Thanks for bringing it back up, you’ve given me an idea!

Now, THAT is a totally-awesome-kool idea !

-- kjh

Latest posts

Back