We did this before, Xyla's at it again

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's "Money for nothing and your chicks for free". They should get real jobs and earn their money by contributing to society. I do watch a lot of youtube videos but I'm usually looking for educational content not mindless entertainment.
That little rocket scientist has his own jet airplane, that liitle rocket scientist is a millionaire...

Banging on the launch board like a Chimpanzee! That ain't workin' That's the way you do it.

Surprised I haven’t seen mention of MDRA’s yearly tree launches. Sure they aren’t technically part of TRA or NAR, but they’ve been flying unstable, unrecoverable projectiles long before Xyla and Joe. IMO any club turning a blind eye to unsafe launches only hurts the hobby’s reputation.

If she wanted to do a money making and inspirational video she should properly build and document a high power mannequin rocket, dress it as Taylor Swift, dress everyone, including the beefcake, up in Swifty outfits and push the button. A successful Swifty rocket would surely bring in the clicks. A drag race with a Kelce rocket ... OUTTASIGHT! Swifties rock!

Yeah.... I have to ask... Why is that there seem to be so many "real engineers" who don't have actual day jobs and just blow stuff up on youtube?
I can only speak from my experience. Not all engineers are created equal, not all engineering degrees are equal. I got a degree in engineering from a college that taught me a lot about what I needed to know for my job. My job was difficult, in my field engineering is a sweatshop type job with a lot of work and a lot of responsibility. Not everybody is cut out for that type of job, lots of people come in but can't hack it so they leave for something else.

One of our state colleges wanted to grow their engineering program, they wanted to have 25,000 engineering students. I suppose a college gets bragging rights by having more students and gets more funding and donations. In my state there have been about 150k licensed engineers since the beginning of time, with about 67k current licenses. If one college has 25k students at one time my guess is they will graduate a lot of people who aren't suited to be engineers and who won't be able to find engineering jobs.

And youtube is seen as "money for nothing and ... " if you are cute enough, crazy enough, funny enough, or blow up enough stuff.

Surprised I haven’t seen mention of MDRA’s yearly tree launches. Sure they aren’t technically part of TRA or NAR, but they’ve been flying unstable, unrecoverable projectiles long before Xyla and Joe. IMO any club turning a blind eye to unsafe launches only hurts the hobby’s reputation.

Especially when they end up on YouTube. And it's not that hard to put in the effort to make it stable. Gobs of nose weight or tractor motors. The good flights they have are awesome.

No Daddy! Instant gratification and belly laughs for old dudes watching them crash!

No Daddy! Insant gratification and clicks for Joe and Xlya! Have some hipster HIPO fun!

Typical oddroc scum. Spending too much time at the Party City clearance. Youglings with no idea what they are doing, where they are at! Crash TV. Ban the idiots!

I can only speak from my experience. Not all engineers are created equal, not all engineering degrees are equal. I got a degree in engineering from a college that taught me a lot about what I needed to know for my job. My job was difficult, in my field engineering is a sweatshop type job with a lot of work and a lot of responsibility. Not everybody is cut out for that type of job, lots of people come in but can't hack it so they leave for something else.

One of our state colleges wanted to grow their engineering program, they wanted to have 25,000 engineering students. I suppose a college gets bragging rights by having more students and gets more funding and donations. In my state there have been about 150k licensed engineers since the beginning of time, with about 67k current licenses. If one college has 25k students at one time my guess is they will graduate a lot of people who aren't suited to be engineers and who won't be able to find engineering jobs.

And youtube is seen as "money for nothing and ... " if you are cute enough, crazy enough, funny enough, or blow up enough stuff.
Joe and Xlya aren't even engineers and they are Kicking it on YouTube!

Watching her and that BPS guy cake a pound of grease on that CTI liner and then proceed to beat the hell out of the casing with hammers and wood for 2 hours to get it on the liner assembly was a special kind of special.

Like.....really special kind of special special special.

I sat there just watching.....mouth open....shaking my head.

Her going fake crazy as she unpacked the grains from the box from Chris, as she repeatedly kept calling them explosives; yes, they are, but she was implying something far different as a means of sensationalizing. Then reading the comments from people who don't know any better, clamoring about them hammering on explosives. Really does amazing things for the visibility of our hobby and setting a wonderful and candid example.

/sarcasm

Only about 25% of engineers have a PE, and most of those are civil engineers. Especially in aerospace it's not particularly helpful, as aerospace its often across state lines, and there isn't great agreeance with defense and the NSPE. So while there may be issues with having 25,000 engineering students, I don't think the number of PEs in your state is the determiner of if they're going to be good engineers.

Also note everything done with the mini coopers is not to any TRA or other codes, in a few other shows like the lawn dart episode they were targeting ground paper bullseye targets.
I don't care to watch the show, so would you answer me this: What that targeting during thrust or coast? If it's targeting that under 'chute then it's not different from the sanctioned spot landing events.

I have no issue with any specific person. I'm using this particular issue to highlight how the "rules" say members will only do x-y-z but it's highly likely that some members are doing g-h-i. (I have not seen it confirmed that any NAR/TRA members were part of the launch.) One part of this is me trying to understand what the rules actually say. I'm arguing that NAR/TRA should either enforce their own rules or change them to be inline with the behavior they accept or at least allow. I don't think anyone should be kicked out. I have little doubt that what happened at FAR was done in a safe manner but the problem is the rules of TRA and NAR both clearly say what happened is unsafe and won't be something their members do. Maybe their rules don't apply at FAR. That could be the case for NAR but definitely not for TRA. TRA explicitly says their members will follow their safety code at all launches.
So, I guess the distinction is 1) in how the phrase "all launches" is understood, and 2) the understanding of the scope of rules in general.

1. Does "all launches" mean any time a rocket goes up, period? Or does it mean any time a rocket goes up in situations connected with the organization? Most of us understand "all launches" to mean the latter, and to me, the former seems bizzar.

2. Is the safety code a governing document for all launches (see #1) or is it code governing members' behavior in all rocket activity? If the latter, it would seem that anyone working professionally in space launches, large sounding launches, or missile launches must renounce TRA membership.

I think it's "Money for nothing and your chicks for free". They should get real jobs and earn their money by contributing to society. I do watch a lot of youtube videos but I'm usually looking for educational content not mindless entertainment.
Just a tip for you, Nebula is where it's at for educational content, and the new streaming service that The Armchair Historian is starting may be following it shortly. Doing educational content on YouTube really sucks because you can get demonetized for saying the words "Hitler" or "Nazi" or talking about things like the Afghanistan or Nagorno-Karabakh wars, even in their historical, educational context, so a number of educational creators are at least partially giving up on it.

I don't see anything in the NAR or TRA safety code saying the rules apply only if you are launching at a NAR or TRA sanctioned launch. As it reads, even if I'm launching on my own property, I am required to follow the safety codes of the organizations I am a member of. Am I wrong here?
No you are not wrong...
Yeah, sorry, you are. You're only required to follow all applicable local, state, and federal regulations. Following the safety code is a good idea, but not a requirement. It's a good idea for at least three reasons:

1. Following the safety code ensures that you are probably complying with those government regulations, and stand a chance of being forgiven minor violations due to having made a good faith effort (but that's not guaranteed and only works once in any case).

2. Your NAR or TRA group insurance doesn't cover you should something go wrong unless you're following the safety code.

3. Saving the best for last, it contains very good safety advice.

Yeah, sorry, you are. You're only required to follow all applicable local, state, and federal regulations. Following the safety code is a good idea, but not a requirement. It's a good idea for at least three reasons:

1. Following the safety code ensures that you are probably complying with those government regulations, and stand a chance of being forgiven minor violations due to having made a good faith effort (but that's not guaranteed and only works once in any case).

2. Your NAR or TRA group insurance doesn't cover you should something go wrong unless you're following the safety code.

3. Saving the best for last, it contains very good safety advice.
You most definitely can get into serious **** for not following those rules. Some of those "safety codes" are Federal laws. I'm out im not gonna argue about this.

Do you have to follow any rules/codes?...No, you don't. Have fun.

Read this....From Pa, you don't have follow them right? 30 days in jail and fines..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231006-085406_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20231006-085406_Drive.jpg
    652.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
The sad part is that if she employed a tiny bit of basic rocketry knowledge, planning and construction she could have flown a successful high powered skeleton oddroc and not come off as so stupid. Ding bat girls with wimpy beefcake boys is good for YouTube, bad for model rocketry's immage. Skimpier outfits for the beefcake to match the ladies.
Whatever you think of this project (and I don't like it either, even as I defend it against cries of safety code violations) it's completely inaccurate to characterize Xyla as a "ding bat girl". She has demonstrated far more than "a tiny bit of basic rocketry knowledge" on multiple occasions. Yes, I agree that it would have been a much better idea to apply that knowledge in making a skeleton oddroc, but don't dismiss her over this bad idea.

I think she is doing great. Her target demographic is not the over 50 out-of-touch aging rocketeer white men (myself included), so if she missed the mark with you it's because she IS trying to change that image of model rocketry and inspire a new generation that is turned off and shut out by all of us old "set in our ways" men. Most of her cohort is trying to break the stereotype that you can't be smart and pretty/fun at the same time - a real barrier for girls entering engineering. The "beefcakes" she hangs with come from MIT, SpaceX, Blue O, and other amazing backgrounds. They don't need to inspire us, but we shouldn't hate on them or discourage them from inspiring the next generation. ☮️❤️🚀
I agree, 99%. The only mark she missed with me was doing bad rocketry this one time. And I'm calling it bad because that's what I call sticking a big honking motor into a thing that's not designed or intended to go straight up or to come down safely. Doing it at FAR, under FAR rules, means there's no legal problem, no issue with the NAR or TRA safety codes, but that doesn't make it a good idea. This one time.

Last edited:
I know my daughters, both now pursuing advanced degrees, would not be inspired by such stupid antics, poor construction, unstable and unsafe high power flight characteristics. As an avid skeletal oddroc flyer I get the point, to have fun and learn about rocketry by pushing the envelope. This is just low brow Gen Z YouTube garbage. The BPS guy did the same thing with his poorly executed Christmas Tree. Certifed Level Two flyers acting like idiots, disgraceful. Nothing inspiring about that. Just comedy. Looks like the genius Space X boys were more interested in kitty. Good eye candy for clicks.

I see many smart girls at the launch who are the target audience. They are future engineers, not silly, scantily clad bimbos building obviously unstable rockets. They thrive on successful flights and trying their best, learning from their mistakes. Encourage them I do, trying to give old man advice and hope they listen which amazingly, they do!

Hard to.tell but if the rocket would have flown at another random angle could it have hit something? Looked like it landed on the range. Much better than the BPS guys Christmas tree video at the same location. Presents were falling close to them. Like Red from That 70's Show would say to his son Eric, I say to the Launch crew "You looked like dumb a$$es."
And, here we return to a subtopic of the last time we had a long discussion about a Xyla Foxlin rocket video. Why the frequent mentions of her appearance? It seems like you (an others) are re saying that doing dumb stuff (and this was dumb stuff) is somehow even worse when it's a good looking woman doing dumb stuff. And maybe that's not what you were thinking, but I detect a bias, conscious or not, against good looking women?

Yes, I see myself turning more and more into Red Foreman, but I do try to fight it (sometimes).

"Fred, you do not need to worry about these motors; they are not the ones you need to worry about... Move along"
So ..... is this Wiki post wrong?
Or are you attempting to sweep this under the rug?

Here's what Wiki says:
In the United States, APCP for hobby use is regulated indirectly by two non-government agencies: the National Association of Rocketry (NAR), and the Tripoli Rocketry Association (TRA). Both agencies set forth rules regarding the impulse classification of rocket motors and the level of certification required by rocketeers in order to purchase certain impulse (size) motors. The NAR and TRA require motor manufacturers to certify their motors for distribution to vendors and ultimately hobbyists. The vendor is charged with the responsibility (by the NAR and TRA) to check hobbyists for high-power rocket certification before a sale can be made. The amount of APCP that can be purchased (in the form of a rocket motor reload) correlates to the impulse classification, and therefore the quantity of APCP purchasable by a hobbyist (in any single reload kit) is regulated by the NAR and TRA.

Shes gone from Rockteer to "I want more likes" and paying subscribers. I've watched many of her videos and she's really good but this last one wasn't impressive. It went up 20 feet and a high power motor spun in circles... But social media has demanded more. BPS is also great, why above is he being slammed too now I'm not sure.

My concern saying you should follow the safety codes as some of them ARE the local/Federal laws and regulations.

Look, I know someone that has gotten into serious trouble and could have killed someone with what he did and is in Federal Prison. I'm not trying to argue codes or start any issues. Just be careful what and when you send them up with please. For your safety and others(this is a general statement). The problem is unfortunately idiots do get into this hobby....

are re saying that doing dumb stuff (and this was dumb stuff) is somehow even worse when it's a good looking woman doing dumb stuff. And maybe that's not what you were thinking, but I detect a bias, conscious or not, against good looking women?
Yes. In fact double yes. Because guys expect good looking women to do dumb stuff.
And when a good looking woman that knows better feeds into the stereotype of doing dumb stuff, it feels offensive.
There's an old saying that if you do 1000 good things and 1 bad thing, it will be the 1 bad thing you're remembered for.
Now she may have had her motives for doing this, and good for her for inspiring girls to get into STEM, ..... BUT, this one feels like it simply done for clicks.
And it feeds into the stereotype, and it will be the one bad thing thing she'll be remembered for.
But hey she got what she wanted, we're all talking about her. I hope she makes $40,000 from this video. Good luck with that.

If you don't like this stuff, don't watch it. YouTube is all about the "Hold my beer" moments, and staged "Watch what happens when we..." videos. It's all about the clicks... for money. Decrying that somebody did something unsafe for clicks is a bit sanctimonious IMHO. And as I have noted before, the good people at FAR are not about to let anybody get hurt in any way on their property.

Now, I wonder how many cars I could jump over with an electric bicycle...

Yes, I think it is. I could be wrong, but I think it is.

Here's what Wiki says:
In the United States, APCP for hobby use is regulated indirectly by two non-government agencies: the National Association of Rocketry (NAR), and the Tripoli Rocketry Association (TRA).
One would need to define "regulate". Neither of those organizations have any legal power to create or enforce legal regulations, unless in some particular jurisdiction wherein a state, county, or local ordinance has made it so, and I seriously doubt that any state would do so. (Counties and municipalities, I don't know.) No vendor or flyer is going to find himself in court facing a charge of "Failure to comply by the NAR safety code".
Both agencies set forth rules regarding the impulse classification of rocket motors and the level of certification required by rocketeers in order to purchase certain impulse (size) motors. The NAR and TRA require motor manufacturers to certify their motors for distribution to vendors and ultimately hobbyists. The vendor is charged with the responsibility (by the NAR and TRA) to check hobbyists for high-power rocket certification before a sale can be made.
I'm really fairly sure that compliance with this is voluntary, just like there is no legal requirement for a movie theater to prohibit entry by an unaccompanied 15 year old to an R rated movie; the MPAA rating system is a system of voluntary regulation, and so is the NAR/TRA established system of certification levels.
The amount of APCP that can be purchased (in the form of a rocket motor reload) correlates to the impulse classification, and therefore the quantity of APCP purchasable by a hobbyist (in any single reload kit) is regulated by the NAR and TRA.
It correlates only approximately, which is the reason that there are a few motors, classified as low power under the lettering system, but as high power under the NFPA rules (which are adopted as law in many if not most states) and federal regulations.

My concern saying you should follow the safety codes as some of them ARE the local/Federal laws and regulations.
The provisions of the safety codes, in many cases, coincide with non-voluntary, legal regulations. Which is why:
Following the safety code is a good idea... for at least three reasons:

1. Following the safety code ensures that you are probably complying with those government regulations...

Just a tip for you, Nebula is where it's at for educational content, and the new streaming service that The Armchair Historian is starting may be following it shortly. Doing educational content on YouTube really sucks because you can get demonetized for saying the words "Hitler" or "Nazi" or talking about things like the Afghanistan or Nagorno-Karabakh wars, even in their historical, educational context, so a number of educational creators are at least partially giving up on it.
Try the thought emporium he has detected antimatter with stuff he found in a trash can. Also made yest make spider silk. The man is a genius.

Or are you attempting to sweep this under the rug?

Here's what Wiki says:
In the United States, APCP for hobby use is regulated indirectly by two non-government agencies: the National Association of Rocketry (NAR), and the Tripoli Rocketry Association (TRA). Both agencies set forth rules regarding the impulse classification of rocket motors and the level of certification required by rocketeers in order to purchase certain impulse (size) motors. The NAR and TRA require motor manufacturers to certify their motors for distribution to vendors and ultimately hobbyists. The vendor is charged with the responsibility (by the NAR and TRA) to check hobbyists for high-power rocket certification before a sale can be made. The amount of APCP that can be purchased (in the form of a rocket motor reload) correlates to the impulse classification, and therefore the quantity of APCP purchasable by a hobbyist (in any single reload kit) is regulated by the NAR and TRA.
That is interesting. Who wrote that into Wiki? What authority does the NAR and TRA have over vendors? Can they collect fines or incarcerate offending vendors? The NAR and TRA has limited influence on motor manufacturers, since they can threaten to decertify motors that they have certified. They have more influence over consumers, since they can pull HPR user certification. I don't believe "by the NAR and TRA" has any comparable direct influence over vendors. Well yes, NAR/TRA does help write the NFPA rules and laws that affect vendors, but they have no power or authority to charge a vendor with any responsibility.

In most states it is state fire regulations adopted from NFPA by the state fire marshal. Some are local like you posted.
But the only federal law is in FAAs FAR 101, and DOT transportation laws.

Fred's post falls about , as it is only indirectly controlled by NAR and TRA at their launches. Also Wikis are naturally in error at times.

I don't like this video she posted, but I want to make clear just what the rules cover and where.

Latest posts

Back