We did this before, Xyla's at it again

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the thing about NAR rules btw: I think they state that you can ONLY use solid-fueled rocket motors at a NAR launch.
I wonder how that worked when Estes sold "Cold-Power" rocket motors, fueled by Freon, or whatever that stuff was.

I was just looking through that stuff in a 1976 catalog, and it got some old memories churning. When they were dumping their old inventory I remember buying some of that stuff to mess around with, but the only memory that sticks is some little white-styrofoam glider rocket that took a cold-power motor... I thought that thing was mega-cool.
They used to have a Cold Power Model Rocket Code... it was deleted from the books once the Cold Power Rockets went extinct.

Seems that's still the case for model rocketry in some countries, including India from what I have seen on YouTube.

Californians can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that California has not adopted NFPA directly, and while some regulations are based on NFPA codes, the California Fire Marshall often does their own thing.
Fred Schecter from SCRA lobbied to get the California model rocket regulations in line with NFPA a few years ago, so they are basically the same as everywhere else (except for the "fire authority" thing). Kudos to him!

Shes on my subscription list, watched that this morning. It was cool, but a little wild at the end....The Christmas Tree was neat but that skeleton could have been made to fly and be recovered, could it have not?

I recently go crap for saying I put a B motor on a small plastic model car when I was a kid and launched it, lol. Shes sending up 12 foot tall skeletons with high power motors....lol.

I don't see anything in the NAR or TRA safety code saying the rules apply only if you are launching at a NAR or TRA sanctioned launch. As it reads, even if I'm launching on my own property, I am required to follow the safety codes of the organizations I am a member of. Am I wrong here?
No you are not wrong...Those rules are for safety. And should be observed even by yourself on your own property.

People will say "they have to catch me", they will. Especially if your rocket hits an aircraft.

Do the state laws where FAR is located codify NFPA1127?

no. California has its own model rocket codes that predate NFPA anything. Word is the CA State Fire Marshal would like to harmonize the codes, but no one has the $$$millions+ required to push the legislation through.

No you are not wrong...Those rules are for safety. And should be observed even by yourself on your own property.

People will say "they have to catch me", they will. Especially if your rocket hits an aircraft.

Safety is one thing, but the NAR rules do not apply if your at a TRA EX launch or at an Armature [pun] rocket launch and they are not going to kick you out. I know these things for a reason.

no. California has its own model rocket codes that predate NFPA anything. Word is the CA State Fire Marshal would like to harmonize the codes, but no one has the $$$millions+ required to push the legislation through.

And since what FAR does is not part of NFPA 1127 how would that work?

I miss the days of rocketry crash TV on cable. Rocket City Rednecks PHD's crashing pedal cars on J motors into pine trees. Cute Mythbusters hosts watching high power snowmobiles and garden pigs crash. So entertaining, so fun, so stupid. Same here only on YouTube. Need those ratings, need those clicks!

And since what FAR does is not part of NFPA 1127 how would that work?
yeah, I wonder. give me part of the $millions and I'm sure I will figure out something.

seems like whatever sausage got made, there would have to be some consideration for existing practice. I mean, think of all the CalPyro III folks, suddenly on the streets, so sad...

And TRA did not kick anyone out for launching Mini Coopers aimed horizonal trajectory to goal posts either against it's rules.

Bonus points for who can Identify the red team leader that is at the launch table celebrating his cooper spinning in the air like he is sayin' "I planed it that way" the first part of the video I posted.

I miss the days of rocketry crash TV on cable. Rocket City Rednecks PHD's crashing pedal cars on J motors into pine trees. Cute Mythbusters hosts watching high power snowmobiles and garden pigs crash. So entertaining, so fun, so stupid. Same here only on YouTube. Need those ratings, need those clicks!

LDRS 2011 and 2012 by Kari Byron ; I was at both of those. She is also just as much real fun in person with no camera running... not stuck up

I'm little confused about this response and what he asked....

Simple, NAR and TRA rules are governing you at a NAR or TRA launch, or your own launch you observe those rules doing like in a Park to be covered by NAR insurance.

They do not apply to something like a NAR member flying EX motors at a TRA launch, or a TRA person at a Armature [pun] launch.

Last edited:
Still wonder about the provenance of the motors given that they are commercial....maybe there's a controlled chain of possession, but that would involve people who should know better.

Still wonder about the provenance of the motors given that they are commercial....maybe there's a controlled chain of possession, but that would involve people who should know better.

"Fred, you do not need to worry about these motors; they are not the ones you need to worry about... Move along"

😂

How do you cover CTI Pro 150 6" motors going to a First TV production for discovery channel?

Haters gonna hate. Are we going to do this FAR discussion every time Xyla launches something?

FAR is not a TRA prefect or a NAR section club. FAR is an experimental research facility governed by licensed California Pyrotechnic and BATF operators. It is an offshoot of Reaction Research Society (next door), which has been operating the same way since 1943 in the Mojave Desert. It falls under the Edwards Air Force Base airspace with standing waivers over 200K feet. The majority of what is flown and tested is experimental liquids, "exotic" solids, or projects that cannot be flown anywhere else in the world. It supports over 100 university teams each year and dozens of commercial ventures or space start-ups. It is also used for filming commercials or other video productions. It is also where Tom Mueller got his start with Elon on early liquid motor design.

When Adam Savage filmed Mythbusters JATO rocket car episodes at FAR nobody was crying, "but that isn't TRA compliant" or "where did he buy his motors?" Xyla is no different -- she is a professional maker and content creator that is doing it right, like the Mythbusters crew. Not some jackball lighting rockets off in random places for Youtube likes. I am a TRA L3, but there is no expectation that TRA insurance would cover any of my launches or any of Adam Savages launches at FAR (it isn't a sanctioned launch). Also, believe it or not, California has no laws or regulations on the purchase of high power motors. The NAR and TRA guidelines are just that - guidelines for vendors. They are extremely important guidelines to the hobby/sport, but not relevant to California law.

I am a huge fan of Xyla's for what she is doing to inspire an entire generation of women engineers and, along with Joe B and a dozen other younger rocketeers, push the boundaries beyond model rockets of the 1960's. Let's cheer her on. Let's celebrate all the creativity, energy, and enthusiasm this gang of 20-somethings has for rocketry and aerospace. They will inspire the next batch of Tom Muellers. If we see her light up a WFNA hypergolic rocket next month out at FAR I don't want to hear any whining that it isn't NAR sanctioned. At FAR that would just be called a Saturday.

Haters gonna hate. Are we going to do this FAR discussion every time Xyla launches something?

FAR is not a TRA prefect or a NAR section club. FAR is an experimental research facility governed by licensed California Pyrotechnic and BATF operators. It is an offshoot of Reaction Research Society (next door), which has been operating the same way since 1943 in the Mojave Desert. It falls under the Edwards Air Force Base airspace with standing waivers over 200K feet. The majority of what is flown and tested is experimental liquids, "exotic" solids, or projects that cannot be flown anywhere else in the world. It supports over 100 university teams each year and dozens of commercial ventures or space start-ups. It is also used for filming commercials or other video productions. It is also where Tom Mueller got his start with Elon on early liquid motor design.

When Adam Savage filmed Mythbusters JATO rocket car episodes at FAR nobody was crying, "but that isn't TRA compliant" or "where did he buy his motors?" Xyla is no different -- she is a professional maker and content creator that is doing it right, like the Mythbusters crew. Not some jackball lighting rockets off in random places for Youtube likes. I am a TRA L3, but there is no expectation that TRA insurance would cover any of my launches or any of Adam Savages launches at FAR (it isn't a sanctioned launch). Also, believe it or not, California has no laws or regulations on the purchase of high power motors. The NAR and TRA guidelines are just that - guidelines for vendors. They are extremely important guidelines to the hobby/sport, but not relevant to California law.

I am a huge fan of Xyla's for what she is doing to inspire an entire generation of women engineers and, along with Joe B and a dozen other younger rocketeers, push the boundaries beyond model rockets of the 1960's. Let's cheer her on. Let's celebrate all the creativity, energy, and enthusiasm this gang of 20-somethings has for rocketry and aerospace. They will inspire the next batch of Tom Muellers. If we see her light up a WFNA hypergolic rocket next month out at FAR I don't want to hear any whining that it isn't NAR sanctioned. At FAR that would just be called a Saturday.

And it was the place that Jack Parsons did his stuff as well... All this drama over nothing ...

The sad part is that if she employed a tiny bit of basic rocketry knowledge, planning and construction she could have flown a successful high powered skeleton oddroc and not come off as so stupid. Ding bat girls with wimpy beefcake boys is good for YouTube, bad for model rocketry's immage. Skimpier outfits for the beefcake to match the ladies.

The sad part is that if she employed a tiny bit of basic rocketry knowledge, planning and construction she could have flown a successful high powered skeleton oddroc and not come off as so stupid. Ding bat girls with wimpy beefcake boys is good for YouTube, bad for model rocketry's immage. Skimpier outfits for the beefcake to match the ladies.
I think she is doing great. Her target demographic is not the over 50 out-of-touch aging rocketeer white men (myself included), so if she missed the mark with you it's because she IS trying to change that image of model rocketry and inspire a new generation that is turned off and shut out by all of us old "set in our ways" men. Most of her cohort is trying to break the stereotype that you can't be smart and pretty/fun at the same time - a real barrier for girls entering engineering. The "beefcakes" she hangs with come from MIT, SpaceX, Blue O, and other amazing backgrounds. They don't need to inspire us, but we shouldn't hate on them or discourage them from inspiring the next generation. ☮️❤️🚀

That was offputting to me too, but I just took it as me getting old.

I think it was very irresponsible to build a rocket of that size without any attempt at making it stable and without any attempt at a recovery system. Whether there are rules to govern this or not, let that "thing" do a landshark impression or just react to gravity and injure one of her entourage and the lawyers would force another set of expensive rules on her/them. I know from her past launches that she is capable of building a properly performing oddroc, I don't know why she didn't do it this time.

I think she is doing great. Her target demographic is not the over 50 out-of-touch aging rocketeer white men (myself included), so if she missed the mark with you it's because she IS trying to change that image of model rocketry and inspire a new generation that is turned off and shut out by all of us old "set in our ways" men. Most of her cohort is trying to break the stereotype that you can't be smart and pretty/fun at the same time - a real barrier for girls entering engineering. The "beefcakes" she hangs with come from MIT, SpaceX, Blue O, and other amazing backgrounds. They don't need to inspire us, but we shouldn't hate on them or discourage them from inspiring the next generation. ☮️❤️🚀
I know my daughters, both now pursuing advanced degrees, would not be inspired by such stupid antics, poor construction, unstable and unsafe high power flight characteristics. As an avid skeletal oddroc flyer I get the point, to have fun and learn about rocketry by pushing the envelope. This is just low brow Gen Z YouTube garbage. The BPS guy did the same thing with his poorly executed Christmas Tree. Certifed Level Two flyers acting like idiots, disgraceful. Nothing inspiring about that. Just comedy. Looks like the genius Space X boys were more interested in kitty. Good eye candy for clicks.

I see many smart girls at the launch who are the target audience. They are future engineers, not silly, scantily clad bimbos building obviously unstable rockets. They thrive on successful flights and trying their best, learning from their mistakes. Encourage them I do, trying to give old man advice and hope they listen which amazingly, they do!

Hard to.tell but if the rocket would have flown at another random angle could it have hit something? Looked like it landed on the range. Much better than the BPS guys Christmas tree video at the same location. Presents were falling close to them. Like Red from That 70's Show would say to his son Eric, I say to the Launch crew "You looked like dumb a$$es."

Last edited:
That was offputting to me too, but I just took it as me getting old.

I think it was very irresponsible to build a rocket of that size without any attempt at making it stable and without any attempt at a recovery system. Whether there are rules to govern this or not, let that "thing" do a landshark impression or just react to gravity and injure one of her entourage and the lawyers would force another set of expensive rules on her/them. I know from her past launches that she is capable of building a properly performing oddroc, I don't know why she didn't do it this time.
She didn't because a YouTube girl has to pay the bills. Gotta get those clicks baby!

Singing:
"I work hard for my money, so hard for my money..."

I skimmed only a few of the posts here so I don't know how this discussion has evolved, but a skeleton on tube with a big motor is not a rocket. It's jut dumb clickbait. Sorry, not sorry.

I skimmed only a few of the posts here so I don't know how this discussion has evolved, but a skeleton on tube with a big motor is not a rocket. It's jut dumb clickbait. Sorry, not sorry.
It has been done right. George Barnes IV flys his Skelonaught often. Awesome high power oddroc flights.

Pitty the old man fool who drags them up with tractor motors.
FB_IMG_1625991100071.jpg

She didn't because a YouTube girl has to pay the bills. Gotta get those clicks baby!

Singing:
"I work hard for my money, so hard for my money..."
I think it's "Money for nothing and your chicks for free". They should get real jobs and earn their money by contributing to society. I do watch a lot of youtube videos but I'm usually looking for educational content not mindless entertainment.

Latest posts

Back